ProQ water smokers

Any general items, polls
Nath

ProQ water smokers

Post by Nath »

Is there any how to/ 101 on the proQ or wsm wanting to send something to a mate who has just acquired one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nath
urbangriller

Re: ProQ water smokers

Post by urbangriller »

Nath wrote:Is there any how to/ 101 on the proQ or wsm wanting to send something to a mate who has just acquired one

I'll email you the ProQ user Guide.

Cheers
Chris
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!
Nath

ProQ water smokers

Post by Nath »

Thanks Chris.

Nath
bbqnoob

Post by bbqnoob »

Hey,

Reviving a dead thread here - could I get a link to the ProQ user guide as well?

Cheers
steinyboys

Post by steinyboys »

The proQ user guide is really just recipe's from what I can see I think you will get much more out of this The Virtual Weber Bullet - For the Weber Smokey Mountain Cooker smoker enthusiast
http://virtualweberbullet.com/ it is based on WSM but same principles hope it helps
Weber Kettle 57cm, Weber Smokey Joe, Hark Gas smoker,ProQ Excel Elite 20
Davo
Forum Administrator

Post by Davo »

Yeah the Virtual Weber Bullet Bulletin board is a wealth of knowledge when it comes to the bullet style water smokers, this was the actual first forum I joined before the Aussie BBQ forum was created......I only had a Weber kettle back then.(wish now that I kept it)
It's the same principle of operation only that the ProQ has a few more modern features to set it apart......I still have a hankering for the original WSM though...Just think it's made from sturdier stuff but that's only my opinion...i'm a die hard Weber fanboi :lol:

Cheers

Davo
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5
bbqnoob

Post by bbqnoob »

hey guys - thanks for the links!
zook33per

Post by zook33per »

Nath wrote:Is there any how to/ 101 on the proQ or wsm wanting to send something to a mate who has just acquired one

hey chief, im new as alcoholic to whiskey on the pro q , wsm's scene but here are some tips from a fully fledged noobie

1. be time prepared, pork , beef, even chicken is going to take time, don't sell yourself short, make sure you allow for the meat to cook, other wise you're ordering pizza
and your bbq street cred is gone before you even had it.

2. have time to prepare your meat, seasoning, injecting, rubs, you;ve been on you tube, you've downloaded bbq for dummies, you;ve accumulated as much pre cook knowledge as one cerebral cortex can hold, don't over do it, pick the meat and the flavors you want and stick with it, you're not trying to impress the queen, remember your mantra, meat + rub /(divided) by rubs = happy customers, keep it simple. don't go all experimental trying to invent flavor profiles only a Tibetan goat would be think are worthy, we are predominately males, we like meat, we like basics like garlic, onion, salt and pepper, whatever else you add you do at what level you're at in bbq.

3. time to let it cook , this is the biggen, allow time for them flavors to develop, its the difference between happy punters and disillusioned bbq guests at your house wondering why you didn't just put a "few snags on the barbi" (DIF for the internet savy), there's nothing worse than talking your meat up and delivering a par for the course product. Take pride in what you serve, don't dish it up if you don't think its the best bovine a mere mortal can create using dried plants, old wood and bits of dead animal.
Worst case scenario you're dishing up reserve snags an burgers

3. don't serve it to early. let that meat rest, do your research and learn what meats = times

4. have fun, and remember fail cooks = learning, i've got a pro q and will proudly admit I've botched more cooks than I've won, the cooks that beat you teach you more about he process than the ones you master. pro q s on the surface are simple, employ a heating method , eg what coal, how much wood,
to get a good heat steady heat i use minion method, practice with heat beads, make a doughnut of unspent heat beads in the fire pit , roast 600ml-1ltr of fuel to put in the middle , have chunks of wood for flavour sitting on minion coals so the meat is 'kissed ' with smoke flavors, fill up your water pan ever 3-4 hours

The rest you have to learn yourself, these are only my examples of my journey, your mate will figure out what works and what doesn't ,

thats the point of these forums, back up and random answers to point you in the right direction, but there's a lifetime of fun to be had :mrgreen: