pls help in selection

GASSERS, LPG OR NATURAL
ozwaz

Re: pls help in selection

Post by ozwaz »

mirz wrote:I'm getting excited already :)

Just checked our local outdoor BBQ store in thomastown has demos running over next two weekends. One for weber 330 and other green mountain. I think it would be best to go there with family and experience it.

BBQ store has listed price around $45 for 12.5 kg pellets from green mountain brand.

How expensive pellets are compare to gas cylinders from overall consumption point of view?

Are there other cheaper no brand but good value pellets too?

Apologies for asking too many questions
Ask away, you are spending a lot of money so no one on here is going to complain with you asking, we all had to start somewhere.

Definitely go to the demos.

My brother has a GMG DC, and we think it would have a similar consumption to a conventional gas BBQ. Expect to go through a bag around a monthish if using regularly, which would be around a bottle of gas around a month (what I used to go through when I had a 4 burner). So fairly comparable cost wise to a conventional 4 burner, perhaps a touch more. The Ziggy and Weber Q's will be cheaper to run. My pellet burner is a Traeger, but it's a really big bugger and can get a bit hungrier.

The other thing you need to take into consideration is you can really load up the pellet smokers. When you see the Davy Crockett it won't look that big, but keep in mind you can put a second shelf in and potentially double the cooking area, and doing this will not detract from the performance.

My sister uses my brothers DC, and runs it off her phone. She'll set a simple programme for example you could put in a leg of lamb and cook at say 130 degrees, then when internal temp hits 65 degrees you can tell the DC to keep warm, so it will keep the temp at 65. Put the lamb on in the morning, get home from work and it's sitting there at 65 degrees all nicely cooked.

How important is the side burner? If it's not, have a look at the family Q or the ziggy triple burner. I suggest these ones as you said you were after a medium size bbq. If you need the side burner then get a 3 or 4 burner. You are still going to need a gas bbq. There are times you just need to click a button and start cooking. I have a family Q on natural gas, the traeger pellet grill and a charcoal grill. The family Q still gets plenty of work.

Wazza
Traeger Pellet Grill - Weber Family Q - Ziggy Twin Burner
yakabot

Post by yakabot »

Go the pellet grill and some crappy 4 burner from bunnings. I'm sure you'll end up using the pellet grill more, and the gasser is there as a backup.
And if you can get to demo's, then excellent. Best way to test drive stuff and decide.
12x7

Post by 12x7 »

Here's something which might be of interest from Kamado Joe. This is a combo gas and Kamado.

mirz

Post by mirz »

Thanks guys for all this much information. so from running cost both 4 burner gas and GMG would be same which is a big plus. we have some storage under staircase so storing pellets in bulk won't be an issue. can easily fit 10 bags there dry and clean.

had a chat with wifey, side burner is kind of must have for her. She wants to use it for dirty/frying cooking to keep her new shiny kitchen neat and clean.

unfortunately, we don't have too much room to keep too many BBQs.

this last photo of komodo and a gasser looks pretty ideal but this one looks like does not have side burner.
wedwards

pls help in selection

Post by wedwards »

If you need a gas burner go to Bunnings and get one of those $13 single burner camping ones that take the disposable gas refills, and get yourself a decent BBQ. Problem solved ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ozwaz

Post by ozwaz »

I got one of these to cook outside:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/5-Star-Chef- ... SwI-BWOZoE

But I can definitely understand your wife wanting a burner outside, I used mine a lot when I had one. Don't now and it would be handy, so I now use the portable induction cooktop.

Probably need to qualify the above about consumption. If you use the pellet grill up high for searing it will use more.

Still get a half decent gasser, they will compliment each other.
Traeger Pellet Grill - Weber Family Q - Ziggy Twin Burner
mirz

Post by mirz »

with GMG there is $250 price difference between Wi-fi and non Wi-fi version.

is it worth spending extra $250 for wi-fi version?
wedwards

Post by wedwards »

mirz wrote:with GMG there is $250 price difference between Wi-fi and non Wi-fi version.

is it worth spending extra $250 for wi-fi version?
The USA have gone to wifi-only models now, and we will probably go the same way at a guess. The functionality that the wifi promises to offer is easily worth it, however on iOS devices it can be a bit hit and miss at times. GMG are resolving this by delivering a cloud based monitoring service that the GMG app will connect to, instead of connecting direct to the grill. If you have an iOS device you can get around most of the limitations by setting your iOS device so it doesnt sleep during cooking.

If you go wifi, make sure you get the model with the external antenna, because depending on your home wifi setup, you might want to consider buying something like this to extend its range for connecting to your home wifi; http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/270791975926 ... EBIDX%3AIT

Even if you dont use the wifi functionality in the app for remote monitoring, cooking profiles, etc etc, its worth it just to be able to update the firmware when new algorithms improving pellet consumption and stuff like that are released.

Bear in mind that most places that sell this in Australia over-charge for them - I got my Daniel Boone for $1300 new, and the guy said he still made a bit of $$ on it, so they can come down in price if pressed, getting you a wifi model at non-wifi prices.
mirz

Post by mirz »

thats a bargain for $1300. my local bbq shop is selling it for $1699.

i went to see GMG today in shop.

Davey Crockett is way too small compare to what it looks like on websites :)

I reckon Daniel Boone has reasonable size. don't want something too small on alfresco area. it would look weird.

WDYT about this burner for outside

Hark Outdoor Jet-Pro Cooker

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Outdoor-crab ... 1303071030
mirz

pls help in selection

Post by mirz »

Is it safe to store half or full lpg cylinder in garden shed?

Our garden shed gets about 4 hours direct sunlight. I'm worried if it will explode if it will be stored there for 2-3 months.
yakabot

Post by yakabot »

It'll be fine. The cylinders sit in those racks a servos all the time. Lpg tanks sit on the back of hot forklifts and in the sun and they never explode.
mirz

pls help in selection

Post by mirz »

yakabot wrote:It'll be fine. The cylinders sit in those racks a servos all the time. Lpg tanks sit on the back of hot forklifts and in the sun and they never explode.
Thanks mate. Bought a large outdoor stove from Snowy. Hopefully this will keep wife happy and that will help me to go with my choice.
Davo
Forum Administrator

Post by Davo »

Oh no...looks like i'm too late :lol:

I've just found out that Weber have just released these bewdys onto the market....Built -in Weber Q's (Q3600au)
http://www.inspiredoutdoor.com.au/shop/ ... model-new/

http://www.weberbbq.com.au/weber-q/built-in/

Avail in both NG and LPG

Cabinets are extra but would be able to fit into a built in BBQ cavity.

$999 for the LPG and $1,099 for the NG

It just gets better lol

Cheers

Davo
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5
Groovy Gorilla

Post by Groovy Gorilla »

I never used my gasser much, too much gas to heat up a lot of cast iron, for a few snags.
Its sitting rusting in the front yard as I try to figure how to get it to the tip.(might use the jarrah stand for a table)
I bought a 2 burner wok/stove. ( the more MJ s the better if you want to use a wok)
If I want to quickly cook a snag throw it on a cast iron griddle plate
Less gas a lot quicker and same result.
Plus you get the flexibility of using it for other stuff
Spag on one side sauce on the other
Bacon in one pan beans on the other
All stuff that you cant do on a gasser
I do most of my cooking outside living in the sub tropics.
If I want a lid and some smoke it goes in the weber.
chilling while grilling
mirz

pls help in selection

Post by mirz »

Thanks for more tips. Stove I bought for mrs to do her outdoor cooking has about 104,000 btu which should be way more than enough for her.

It's called Companion Mega-Jet Outdoor Power Cooker, but different sellers are selling them under different names.