pls help in selection

GASSERS, LPG OR NATURAL
mirz

pls help in selection

Post by mirz »

looking at this forum for few weeks, and it is my very first post here :)

currently have a Weber charcoal cattle for about 15 years and very happy with that. but now looking for a medium size gas BBQ in our new alfresco for quick cooking where wife can use it too with ease. she wants a side stove too, so that's pretty much all her requirement beside a descent quality easy to use BBQ.

Currently budget is around $2000, but can stretch up to $2500

After some research over internet and local shop visits, shortlisted these two:

1. Broil King Regal 490

http://www.bbqsandoutdoor.com.au/produc ... regal-490/

2. Weber Genesis E-330

http://www.bbqsandoutdoor.com.au/produc ... sis-e-330/

if you can advise any other brand and model, pls advise.

Also in regards to accessories, can only think of cover, grill cleaner :) anyother ideas most welcome.

thanks in advance
Gumb

Re: pls help in selection

Post by Gumb »

Hard to go past Weber for service and back up. That's the one I'd be buying out of the two.
mirz

pls help in selection

Post by mirz »

Thanks Gumb
Urban Pit Master

Post by Urban Pit Master »

I've got an E330 and it a great unit, really solid and capable of some serious heat.
Instagram: #urban_pit_master
Twitter: @mackerelmatt
Big city food, cooked in the backyard. You can taste love in food...
steinyboys

Post by steinyboys »

wow you could get an owsum stick burner like the the hark Texas pro for $1500 and still have $1000 over lol thats steiny logic :D :D :D :D would look great in an alfresco to
Weber Kettle 57cm, Weber Smokey Joe, Hark Gas smoker,ProQ Excel Elite 20
mirz

pls help in selection

Post by mirz »

Urban Pit Master wrote:I've got an E330 and it a great unit, really solid and capable of some serious heat.

That's great to know. Any accessories would you like to recommend? I'm not sure if we should buy full cover for this BBQ.
mirz

pls help in selection

Post by mirz »

steinyboys wrote:wow you could get an owsum stick burner like the the hark Texas pro for $1500 and still have $1000 over lol thats steiny logic :D :D :D :D would look great in an alfresco to
Thanks for the idea. That looks like some sort of steam engine, lol.

As we already have a charchol weber, this time after a gas BBQ which can be operated by wifey for quick meals.
ozwaz

Post by ozwaz »

Hi Mirz,

This may or may not be the answer you are after, but I'm with Steinboys on this one. I have an issue with dropping $2 - 2.5k on a gas bbq. And for the record, I am not going to be a bbq snob and knock gassers, they definitely have their place, and I could not be without mine, I just wanted to provide a little food for thought.

With your budget you could get something like this:

https://www.barbequesgalore.com.au/barb ... ries-g4cdh

And still have enough left over for one of these:

or possibly stretch for one of these:

https://www.barbequesgalore.com.au/barb ... -kjoeclacr

What's your location? I'm guessing you've not yet come across food cooked in a pellet grill or stick burner, and It'd be a real shame if you were to blow all your money on one expensive item then come across these other bbq's and be left wanting one.

Some bbq snobs may knock the Cordon Blue, but I had one for 12 years, and for a good chunk of that it was living uncovered outside. Can't complain with that.

If you really have your heart set on just the one new gas bbq, really can't go wrong with the Weber, but if you think you might like to get into more adventurous stuff in the future let us know where you are, we may be able to point you in the direction where you can check out a pellet smoker for yourself.

Cheers

Wazza
Traeger Pellet Grill - Weber Family Q - Ziggy Twin Burner
mirz

pls help in selection

Post by mirz »

Thanks wazza, much appreciate your detailed response.

These looks like some real pro machines. I was watching video of that green mountain with wifi one this morning and that was all very new world of BBQ for me. They showed how their pellets are better compare to synthetic charchol.

Our current problem with weber charcoal is that only I can use that at home which is creating trouble for wifey and she doesn't want to go through all that trouble to light up charcoals.

Ideally would love to have a hybrid to have best of both worlds. But one came back on google was around $20k, lol.

I'm based in Melbourne north western suburbs.
Gumb

Post by Gumb »

mirz wrote:

Ideally would love to have a hybrid to have best of both worlds.
That's exactly what a pellet grill is. Turn it on, set the temp and walk away for under $2k
mirz

pls help in selection

Post by mirz »

Never experienced this before, but sounds like worth experiencing.
wedwards

pls help in selection

Post by wedwards »

If it helps, I get my 10 year old to fire up my pellet grill (same as the one you were watching in the videos) which is "flick a switch and press one button" type of easy, and then my wife helps him put the meat on .... While I'm at work .... They are my BBQ slaves .... If they can do it, yours can too ;)

I'd still be inclined to have a small gasser for mid-week fast cooking like a Weber Q or something as well - the pellet grill can do grilling temps but I don't like its pellet consumption when you really crank it up. Low and slow with briskets and ribs and wings and you get the idea, is where it excels, and where any gasser will not be real good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mirz

pls help in selection

Post by mirz »

I'm getting excited already :)

Just checked our local outdoor BBQ store in thomastown has demos running over next two weekends. One for weber 330 and other green mountain. I think it would be best to go there with family and experience it.

BBQ store has listed price around $45 for 12.5 kg pellets from green mountain brand.

How expensive pellets are compare to gas cylinders from overall consumption point of view?

Are there other cheaper no brand but good value pellets too?

Apologies for asking too many questions
Gumb

Post by Gumb »

Yes there are cheaper pellets. BBQs Galore sell a fuel/BBQ pellet for $16 for a 15kg bag. Use them for quick grilling and the others for roasts or low and slow pulled pork etc. You can mix them up together as well, which helps keep the cost down. But you'd have to go through a lot of pellets to make up the $1000 you save by getting a pellet grill compared to the Weber genesis. :wink:
wedwards

pls help in selection

Post by wedwards »

Definitely go to the demos and check them both out to see what you like. Like gumb says there are ways to make the expensive pellets go much further, and it works really well. Also look out for group buys of pellets as you'll save $5 or more per bag if you get in on that.

My father in law has the Genesis and it's a great unit as well - you can definitely run it at low and slow temps and either use a smoking box or tube to add real wood smoke to food. My experience with trying to make a gasser do the job of a smoker though is that it's a lot of work for average/mediocre payback compared to a real smoker built for that purpose.

Work out what kind of BBQ you want to do before you go to the demos so you can find out how each of the grills will meet (or not) your needs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk