Rec Tec grills

Anything Wood Fire related (including what woods to use) pellet grills and pellets.
epsc

Rec Tec grills

Post by epsc »

Hi folks, as a newbie I'm trying to work out what my best approach is in terms of what woodpellet grill to get. I've done some research and read about the Rec Tec grills, but can't seem to find any posts which mention them one way or another on this forum. I assume they are not being imported by anyone here yet. They look/sound good, though - any feedback from experienced pelletters out there?
edgy

Re: Rec Tec grills

Post by edgy »

Not that I am aware of.

Currently you're Australian pellet options are:
  • Traeger
    Yoder Smokers
    Green Mountain Grills
    Cookshack
    And soon, Louisiana Grills

My advice, go kick the tyres on all of em and see what you like best.
Yoder Smokers - Competition BBQ team

Team Go To Jail - Lifetime member! "Alcohol may be man's worst enemy, but the bible says love your enemy." Frank Sinatra
epsc

Post by epsc »

Sound advice, I agree. :D
wedwards

Rec Tec grills

Post by wedwards »

I wanted the Rec Tec as well but had to import it myself. Ended up with a GMG then a Yoder. Would still go with that approach if I had to do it again, however haven't seen the Louisiana which looks to have some nice bells and whistles. Go check them all out - they all have their pros and cons, and there isn't one that's better than all the others in every single aspect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Gumb

Post by Gumb »

I'd forget trying to import anything. Not worth the hassle when your needs can be covered by the brands readily available here. As the other have said, it is a personal choice and there are arguments supporting all of them. I'm not sure where you live but if there's a retailer close by, that's the place to have a look. The best option however is one of the BBQ events around the place. You'll see them all there.
ozwaz

Post by ozwaz »

I like gumb's suggestion about a BBQ event, where are you located.

I've only used Traeger and GMG, but really the food is going to be the same from all of them, so I guess is depends on what other features you are chasing.
Traeger Pellet Grill - Weber Family Q - Ziggy Twin Burner
epsc

Post by epsc »

Much appreciated, all. Now got to track down some cookouts where I can do a taste test!
Gumb

Post by Gumb »

i doubt that you'd be able to tell the difference between any of them doing a taste test. It's more about ease of use, maybe pellet consumption, added features etc. They all cook tasty food.
epsc

Post by epsc »

Yes, but it would be fun to do a fact-finding mission! Actually, one of the reasons I was drawn to the Rec Tec was that I was going to get their mini (got as far as paying for it with a delivery fee of $US99 all the way to Oz, which their website allowed me to do, to my absolute amazement - how sad that they realised their site shouldn't have accepted my order, and canceled the sale, after having taken my $$). We don't cook for crowds, so the Mini was appealing both in terms of size and cost - $US499 was a good price, I thought.
edgy

Post by edgy »

epsc wrote:Yes, but it would be fun to do a fact-finding mission! Actually, one of the reasons I was drawn to the Rec Tec was that I was going to get their mini (got as far as paying for it with a delivery fee of $US99 all the way to Oz, which their website allowed me to do, to my absolute amazement - how sad that they realised their site shouldn't have accepted my order, and canceled the sale, after having taken my $$). We don't cook for crowds, so the Mini was appealing both in terms of size and cost - $US499 was a good price, I thought.

So if that's what you're after size wise, you can look at Traeger Junior (if you don't need it to be portable) or GMG do a portable.

Traeger has a new rep in AU I am told, not sure how that affects consumers or product dealers but should be positive! They really do go hard on the marketing stateside.
Yoder Smokers - Competition BBQ team

Team Go To Jail - Lifetime member! "Alcohol may be man's worst enemy, but the bible says love your enemy." Frank Sinatra
Bentley

Post by Bentley »

They are almost identical in size to the Traeger 075. They get a tad hotter, and have a massive 19Kg hopper on the back. Digital controller, but they are not a managed air system, but even with a constant combustion fan, pretty good temperature control and pellet consumption.

If you like the RecTec mini, have a look at the GMG Davy Crockett that UrbanGriller sells, and when Grill Pro Australia gets his shipments of Louisiana Grills/Country Smokers in, see if he will be stocking the CS-300 Tailgater...Gave one to my Sponsor, great little unit! Get real hot for some good charring, just like the Davy Crockett!

ImageImage
Burnt By The Best
Competition BBQ Team

Fresno State University
Go Dogs!

wedwards

Rec Tec grills

Post by wedwards »

What's the size of the SC-300 compared to the davey Crockett? I was going to get the Crockett for camping but if the 300 is same size it looks way better

Bentley

Post by Bentley »

They are the same size, DC has WiFi, Micro Char grill, managed air system and is about $300 less...but if you like the 300 better, you will probably enjoy it, as they are about the same size. I do not believe the 300 will work on DC power like the Davy Crockett if power is ever an issue...
Burnt By The Best
Competition BBQ Team

Fresno State University
Go Dogs!

wedwards

Rec Tec grills

Post by wedwards »

Awesome thanks!!

epsc

Post by epsc »

All mouthwatering - the feedback and info is very much appreciated!