Briquettes Vs Charcoal for the snake method

Charcoal cookers (such as Weber Kettles)
Skak

Post by Skak »

Hey guys,
I have just purchased a new weber and am just trying to get my head around how to use it and was just wondering if I could get some help. I was just wondering if many people use lump charcoal for the snake method and secondly when is one charcoal better than briquettes and visa versa?
Cheers Steve
Muppet

Post by Muppet »

I use beads for the snake, charcoal for everything else, get yourself a chimney starter they are worth every cent. This is a rough guide but gives you somewhere to start. Full chimney rocking will go 400f to 450f and ramp down (great for pork) , full chimney half lit 350+ and fairly steady (chooks) snake with beads 225f-250f and will run 12+hrs (low and slow). It's a pain to get a steady charcoal snake going... I've given up on that.
Baby steps...
Current Weaponry - Saffire Kamado, Treager Junior, Outdoorchef 57, Performer 46, 'Fooseball' Grill, Hibachi
chriso

Post by chriso »

Lump works for a snake but is harder to get a consistent heat output and doesn't last as long. I've done both and prefer the heatbeads for long cooks as it's less hassle.
Ron173

Re: Briquettes Vs Charcoal for the snake method

Post by Ron173 »

I'd def say heatbeads, nothing against lump, and i'm sure it works great, but for me, the uniformity of the beads wins, IMO it is easier to get a consistent pile and burn.

I find it hard enough to get my snake temp even, so anything that can reduce the odds has to be good, n the beads are all a nice even size.

I find the best place to buy is Bunnings, in the 16kg box, if your lucky , jag em on special n top up with a couple boxes.
steinyboys

Re: Briquettes Vs Charcoal for the snake method

Post by steinyboys »

Yes for the snake use beads by far better option, I have never had problem using this methods be patient at the start, and do not put the kettle lid on till you are going well, no rush I use two on bottom two on top and once I am happy they are going well lid on 250deg for the whole cook good luck
Weber Kettle 57cm, Weber Smokey Joe, Hark Gas smoker,ProQ Excel Elite 20