Pellet burners becoming more popular in Perth

Anything Wood Fire related (including what woods to use) pellet grills and pellets.
ozwaz

Post by ozwaz »

I have a cook planned today and I'm low on Pellets, and as I was in Midland already I dropped into BBQ Bazzar to grab a bag of Pellets (saw they carried them back when I was deciding what smoker to get) - even if it did feel like I was cheating on Chris, but when you're low Bibra Lake is a bit of a trek for me.

Anyway, they were out, he had just sold the last bag. Naturally I asked him if he had been selling much, and he said heaps. Said he had sold 6 (could have been 7 but around there) GMG's in the last month and a bit. He had also placed an order for 70 bags of pellets as the rate he was selling them would need that many. What's also interesting is the Cannington store has not sold any GMG's or bags.

But this can only be good news for the rest of us, hopefully with the extra consumption of pellets the price may come down. Also seems word about these things is also getting out there. Having the GMG's in a main stream BBQ store will also help promote them too.

Cheers
Wazza

p.s. I'll see you during the week Chris, today will all but clean me out but I should be right for tonight pellet wise, and my brother is on his week off so it makes it harder to steal his... :)
Traeger Pellet Grill - Weber Family Q - Ziggy Twin Burner
Buccaneer

Re: Pellet burners becoming more popular in Perth

Post by Buccaneer »

When I get my pellet burner I am ordering a dozen live rabbits and I am going to feed them whiskey soaked balsa wood.
2015 Smokin In The City-Boarshank Redemption
Buccaneer, BeachBums, Alimac23, SilentBob!
ozwaz

Post by ozwaz »

What burner you getting Bucc's?
Buccaneer wrote:When I get my pellet burner I am ordering a dozen live rabbits and I am going to feed them whiskey soaked balsa wood.
hmmm, I wonder if that would work with a sheep?
Buccaneer

Post by Buccaneer »

ozwaz wrote:What burner you getting Bucc's?
Buccaneer wrote:When I get my pellet burner I am ordering a dozen live rabbits and I am going to feed them whiskey soaked balsa wood.
hmmm, I wonder if that would work with a sheep?
Dunno yet, early days.

Sheep "pellets" are too big for the auger! :D
2015 Smokin In The City-Boarshank Redemption
Buccaneer, BeachBums, Alimac23, SilentBob!
ozwaz

Post by ozwaz »

Buccaneer wrote:
Sheep "pellets" are too big for the auger! :D
Could use lamb, and you have an automatic sizing mechenism, once the 'pellets' get too big, time to put the pellet producer in the smoker. :D
damianpyro

Post by damianpyro »

So that means Canning ton has pellets?
ozwaz

Post by ozwaz »

damianpyro wrote:So that means Canning ton has pellets?
Yes, quite a few, but I am fairly sure (happy to be corrected if wrong) that they only have the GMG Fruitwood.

I got some GMG Premium Gold from Urbangriller yesterday, he also has the GMG Fruitwood, GMG Texas blend and those hardwood ones. And he's a couple of dollars cheaper.

Wazza
Nath

Post by Nath »

ozwaz wrote:
Yes, quite a few, but I am fairly sure (happy to be corrected if wrong) that they only have the GMG Fruitwood.

I got some GMG Premium Gold from Urbangriller yesterday, he also has the GMG Fruitwood, GMG Texas blend and those hardwood ones. And he's a couple of dollars cheaper.

Wazza
The other ones are Marri and Rosemary I believe. Love the smell of those pellet, they're great for higher temp cooks, not so good on the low and slow too many temp fluctuations.

Nath
Nath
pepe

Post by pepe »

Nath wrote:
ozwaz wrote:

Wazza
The other ones are Marri and Rosemary I believe. Love the smell of those pellet, they're great for higher temp cooks, not so good on the low and slow too many temp fluctuations.

Nath
He Nath, I was under the impression the Rosemary and Marri aren't in mass production yet

Chris only had 1 bag when I was there a month ago
Nath

Post by Nath »

Ahh I could be wrong. I did get a bag ages ago now from Chris. I'm sure I saw a few bags when I went down a couple of weeks ago, could be wrong though!

Nath
Nath
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

I've got Redgum (marri) but Jarrah and Rosemary is not a production pellet yet...I've only had a sample.
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!
ozwaz

Post by ozwaz »

Jarrah and rosemary sound intriguing, do you know if there are plans to bring it to production?

I've only had Jarrah smoked stuff once, the butcher in Mt Barker Jarrah smokes his bacon, really yummy.

Wazza
SilentBoB

Post by SilentBoB »

Jarrah and pork is a great combo.

I started using Jarrah as it was the cheapest way to run my offset on wood and I've been pretty happy with everything it turns out. The only thing I probably wouldn't use it on would be chicken or seafood, but I haven't tried yet so can't rule it out ;)
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

I also use Jarrah in my offsets...It's easy to get! When I'm doing Chicken, I have a smaller red hot fire so there is next to no smoke when I put a new piece of wood on.

Chris
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!
SilentBoB

Post by SilentBoB »

urbangriller wrote:I also use Jarrah in my offsets...It's easy to get! When I'm doing Chicken, I have a smaller red hot fire so there is next to no smoke when I put a new piece of wood on.

Chris
Aye, that would work, with maybe a bit of Banksia on the outside. Didn't mind the chicken I cooked up using only charcoal and Banksia cones when I first got the Hark.