GRAVY

Post your recipe requests and cooking questions in this setion. Not for general discussions.
steinyboys

GRAVY

Post by steinyboys »

Gravy my favorite thing, when cooking Christmas turkey or pork it was so important to catch the drippings to make the Gravy, I don"t see any one doing it Why? And if you do, whats your secret to the perfect GRAVY :wink: :wink:
Weber Kettle 57cm, Weber Smokey Joe, Hark Gas smoker,ProQ Excel Elite 20
YankQ

Re: GRAVY

Post by YankQ »

I'm a gravy lover myself. I brought the question up earlier this year and didn't get any convincing reasons NOT to catch the drippings. I've done it a couple times since on my gasser and get very good results. Here's the thread with the discussion from a couple months ago.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=15908#p145310
Jeff
Medium BGE, Large BGE, 22.5" Weber Kettle and brand new Q3200
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

I keep all the flavours I can, the drippings and pan scrapings are great for gravy and stock, I keep the fat and oil I cook in and use it to add flavour to the next thing I'm cooking, the butter from frying off some chillies is great to cook your eggs the next day!

My local butcher Eurostyle sells "Dry White Speck", it's bacon fat which they smoke with Beech.
I gut a couple of slices and fry them off to render the fat, I keep that in a tub and use it for all kinds of things, it's crazy good rubbed on a chook for roasting, and the fried Speck itself makes heavy duty Bacon!

Never let a flavour escape your kitchen I say!

I'm using the rendered fat from this bit to season my Pro Pit this weekend!....I couldn't think of anything better!

Cheers
Chris
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!
Nath

GRAVY

Post by Nath »

Holy Moley Chris. I think I need to get me some of that white gold.

Nath
Nath
steinyboys

Post by steinyboys »

now we talking luv it keep the drippings and add some more fat, to many people scared of it but its where the flavor is , I have a brisket sitting in the freezer that the butcher cut to much fat off I am just going to get some fresh beef fat and lay it on top, my thinking is it should render onto the meat and add bit more flavour :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Nath

GRAVY

Post by Nath »

Or some streaky bacon would do the trick :)

Nath
Nath
steinyboys

Post by steinyboys »

even better just putt heaps on top do you think? that is what I will do thanks
burb

Post by burb »

Gravy's not much of a consideration when I'mm bbq'ing low and slow, because I generally have a water pan under the meat.

Put anything that's getting cooked at decent temp will pretty much go over a tray with veg or on a trivet of veg to which I'll add liquid of some description to make a gravy.

Favourite is probably resting pork on a layer of onions and apples with some juniper berries and pepper and adding a good german beer to make gravy.
chrisg

Post by chrisg »

:)

I pretty much always have a gravy on the go based around drippings, vegetable water and I freely admit thickened with Bisto or gravy granules.

The saucepan sitting in the fridge with the delicious gelled gravy under a good layer of fat that is skimmed to use as cooking oil medium.

It's just the way I grew up, my wife jokes that I make one gravy a year, if only she knew :)

Cheers
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

steinyboys wrote:now we talking luv it keep the drippings and add some more fat, to many people scared of it but its where the flavor is , I have a brisket sitting in the freezer that the butcher cut to much fat off I am just going to get some fresh beef fat and lay it on top, my thinking is it should render onto the meat and add bit more flavour :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
I often put a slab of pork skin on top and let the fat render out and baste the meat.

Cheers
Chris
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!
SilentBoB

Post by SilentBoB »

One of the best gravies I had was when I was managing a backpacker hostel. We had a french chef staying there and helped us out with the Xmas dinner one year. Bit of cream and redwine made all the difference!
ozwaz

Post by ozwaz »

I got quite sick a while ago, turned out I had too much blood in my gravy stream... :)

I like to knock the top off a bulb of garlic and wack in in with the vegies for the last 30min or so. Get it out and squeeze the roasted garlic into the gravy.
Traeger Pellet Grill - Weber Family Q - Ziggy Twin Burner
Buccaneer

Post by Buccaneer »

I'd love to see the leg that "white speck" came from! Wow.
2015 Smokin In The City-Boarshank Redemption
Buccaneer, BeachBums, Alimac23, SilentBob!