Seal on the kamado bbq

Please post here any info in relation to BBQ product suppliers.
Company "ads" allowed as long as they pertain to BBQ-ing
Buzabbq

Seal on the kamado bbq

Post by Buzabbq »

I was in BBQs Galore having a look at the Kamado bbqs. I am researching leak solutions for my Kettle.
The seal on the Kamado between the body and lid seems to be felt.
How is it heat resistant ?
Muppet

Seal on the kamado bbq

Post by Muppet »

It looks like felt but holds up, I cook on my kamado a LOT and after a year of abuse it's still fine... After many high temp pizza cooks too.
Baby steps...
Current Weaponry - Saffire Kamado, Treager Junior, Outdoorchef 57, Performer 46, 'Fooseball' Grill, Hibachi
Buzabbq

Re: Seal on the kamado bbq

Post by Buzabbq »

I have been looking at the Nomex stuff, but expensive and if felt works why not go the lease costly route.
Muppet wrote:It looks like felt but holds up, I cook on my kamado a LOT and after a year of abuse it's still fine... After many high temp pizza cooks too.
Muppet

Seal on the kamado bbq

Post by Muppet »

Depends what you intend to do with it, how hot etc etc. There are guys around here who would have been there done that. Should be along to share there experiences.
Baby steps...
Current Weaponry - Saffire Kamado, Treager Junior, Outdoorchef 57, Performer 46, 'Fooseball' Grill, Hibachi
chrisg

Post by chrisg »

:)

Google is your friend - this what you mean?

http://www.bbqgaskets.com/contact_4.html

Cheers
Gumb

Post by Gumb »

The BBqs galore seal is fine although it doesn't last anywhere near as long as the nomex gasket does. I need to get one because I have gave a slight gap on one side of the lid so the felt, being thicker seals that well. The nomex, being thin, lets some smoke out when the inside is pressurised when the fan from the controller starts up, although it still cooks fine. I find 12 - 18 months is about the life of the felt gasket.
Buzabbq

Post by Buzabbq »

Thanks for the info guys. Will have to experiment with some felt and see how it goes.
Hogsy

Post by Hogsy »

Why do you want to seal up a kettle? There not meant to be air tight
Viva La Charcoal Revolution
Team Go To Jail - Lifetime member!
Gumb

Post by Gumb »

Mine puts a bit of heat out the side and the edge of side table gets too hot. Plus, the heat and smoke should be going out the top vent rather than the gap in the lid. If too much heat gets in that gap, the seal itself starts to burn out too. It's a bit different to a Weber kettle which does leak some and doesn't have a seal.
chrisg

Post by chrisg »

The real bottom line is actually what the felt is made of because "felt" is not a single material at all but a term for a very ancient way of producing a non-woven very dense material from fibres.

The old natural fibres, cotton and wool when felted have pretty good heat tolerance but if you used a modern fibre like an aramid you would have something an order of magnitude more heat resistant but it would still look and feel pretty much like the felt we might know from kindergarten. Contrariwise if you used nylon - not so good :)

(Aramid is basically the fibre component of kevlar aka bullet proof jackets when set in resin - it is also used to protect fibre optic cables, can attest when not set in resin it is very soft wool-like stuff :) )

Cheers
Buzabbq

Post by Buzabbq »

Hogsy wrote:Why do you want to seal up a kettle? There not meant to be air tight
The kettle I have is a Aldi Black pearl and leaks to the point that I can't control the temp using the two vents.
Muppet

Seal on the kamado bbq

Post by Muppet »

How are you setting the fuel up? I have possible the loosest kettle in existence, a 10yo outdoor chef that has spent a while banging around in my ute going bush/beach. Using a snake it self regulates itself. Kettles don't really work like Kamados, it's better off controlling fuel lit then leaving the vents for fine adjustments. 3 bead snake will get me 225F to 250F. If I half light a full chimney and dump it in one place (indirect) it's around 300F to 350F consistently. A fully lit chimney goes 400f to 450f then will slowly taper down. This is just me but it's how I go about most of my kettle cooks. Hope that helps

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Baby steps...
Hogsy

Post by Hogsy »

buzzawak wrote:
Hogsy wrote:Why do you want to seal up a kettle? There not meant to be air tight
The kettle I have is a Aldi Black pearl and leaks to the point that I can't control the temp using the two vents.
Well there's your problem!
Spend your money on a 2nd hand Weber kettle, by the time you buy and stuff around with gaskets you could be cooking on a Weber.....
Viva La Charcoal Revolution
Team Go To Jail - Lifetime member!
Buzabbq

Post by Buzabbq »

Here in Newcastle a good used Weber are hard to come by. I had been looking for one for a few months then Aldi had their upright smoker on sale but I missed out and got the consolation prize of the Pearl with Pizza ring. For the price its not bad.
Hogsy wrote:
buzzawak wrote:
Well there's your problem!
Spend your money on a 2nd hand Weber kettle, by the time you buy and stuff around with gaskets you could be cooking on a Weber.....
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

buzzawak wrote:Here in Newcastle a good used Weber are hard to come by. I had been looking for one for a few months then Aldi had their upright smoker on sale but I missed out and got the consolation prize of the Pearl with Pizza ring. For the price its not bad.
I thought that was a Black Pearl! want to take some pics so us who don't have an Aldi can get a look inside one?

Chris
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!