How did Woolies manage to stuff up mince!!!

Any general items, polls
ozwaz

Post by ozwaz »

Ok, I am going to have a rant here. Got some lamb mince from woolies yesterday to make lasagne, admittedly the mince was a greyer colour than I am used to, but figured it's mince, it'll be fine. When I was browning it off it kept combining into a congealed lump. It was more of a mush than mince (almost like it had been run through a food processor). And yes, the finished lasagne was not as good as usual. Even the kids commented it wasn't as good. Maybe I am spoiled as we usually live off lamb from the family farm, but I had run out of the farm mince.

I get that Wollies has to make money for shareholders, but doing that to lamb is just plain wrong, show some respect to your customers.

I'm down to a few packets of chops, some diced and some neck and can't get up to the farm till the 2nd week of school holidays - and my local butcher has pretty decent meat but is expensive, and with 5 kids I can't really afford to pay those prices. Oh well, it may be a long few weeks for me.....

Oh, this is what I have run out of, hanging out to switch the cool room back on and hang some more of these.

Rant over, sorry, but I had to get that off my chest.

Last edited by ozwaz on Fri Sep 18, 2015 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Traeger Pellet Grill - Weber Family Q - Ziggy Twin Burner
Bentley

Re: How did Woolies manage to stuff up mince!!!

Post by Bentley »

Man, after nothing but your own farm raised, I cant imagine what a store bought would be like...I guess I got my answer though...
Burnt By The Best
Competition BBQ Team

Fresno State University
Go Dogs!

ozwaz

Post by ozwaz »

Bentley wrote:Man, after nothing but your own farm raised, I cant imagine what a store bought would be like...I guess I got my answer though...
Hi Bently,

Thing is I have bought lamb mince from my local coles and it has been fine, but this whatever it was from woolies (I refuse to call it mince), was just plain wrong. Really can't wait for Aldi and costco to move in over this side of the country. Coles and Wollies have been taking advantage of us over here for far to long. Bring on the competition.
SilentBoB

Post by SilentBoB »

ozwaz wrote: Thing is I have bought lamb mince from my local coles and it has been fine, but this whatever it was from woolies (I refuse to call it mince), was just plain wrong. Really can't wait for Aldi and costco to move in over this side of the country. Coles and Wollies have been taking advantage of us over here for far to long. Bring on the competition.
I find I have much better luck buying meat from Coles than Woolies when I go with store bought stuff. Actually got a couple of decent steaks from Coles last week after driving out to check out a different butcher and not being overly impressed. Last time I got mince from Woolies it was pretty average. I do like Coles lamb mince.
keithgh

Post by keithgh »

We are very lucky we have a privately owned butchers shop away from the shopping centers and have bought from that shop for close to 40 years now.

Once you have bought your meat that way you would never buy your meat at the super markets.

If he sold cheap meat he would have been out of business many years ago.

Keith
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

I agree completely, supermarket "mince" is paste squirted onto the tray so it looks granular! I always buy lumps and make by own mince to the texture I want in my food processor!

Cheers
Chris
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!
Bear

Post by Bear »

ozwaz wrote:admittedly the MICE was a greyer colour than I am used to, but figured it's MICE, it'll be fine
I think i found your problem :P
Charcoal: 22.5" Weber OTP 2000 | Wood Oven: Al Forno Piemonte R8 | Portable: Weber GA 2006
Gasser: NG WeberQ 320 | Rotisserie: Gaganis custom dual spit | Smoker: 18.5" WSM 2004
ozwaz

Post by ozwaz »

Bear wrote:
ozwaz wrote:admittedly the MICE was a greyer colour than I am used to, but figured it's MICE, it'll be fine
I think i found your problem :P
oops, just edited that.... :oops:

Could explain the greyish colour though :)