Brisket and Chicken Lollipops

Anything Wood Fire related (including what woods to use) pellet grills and pellets.
wedwards

Post by wedwards »

Well I started early this morning with this baby grass fed brisket;

Got bored halfway through so made some chicken lollipops as well. Used the brisket profile for the GMG and it got a basic salt, pepper, and garlic rub. Took about 12 hours and the brisket came out like butter. There would have been a photo of the end result, however these vultures called my family were eating it faster than I could cut it (that's usually the indicator that I've done something right). Very nice smoke ring too. Used GMG gold, a sample bag of jack Daniels, and topped up with some bbqr's delight oak pellets. Great smoke flavour, and a nice well pronounced smoke ring.

This was the first cook since getting the don godke downdraft. It's so simple but so effective - way way less pellets used, and much better smoke ring without needing to supplement with a smoking tube, plus temps were very stable across the whole grill for the first time ever. Very happy with this mod on this grill.

Hopefully next time I will be able to take pics of the finished product and also have some leftovers for lunches.

My grandfather was a beef farmer before he passed away. Would have been very happy to eat this - nice well pronounced beef flavour supplemented by the subtle flavour of the rub - Aaron Franklin is right on the money with this simple rub. Now I'm getting hungry again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
wedwards

Post by wedwards »

And the big chunks cut out of the fat cap were a result of me not pulling the butcher up before he started wrecking it - he knows not to do that next time :)

beachbums

Re: Brisket and Chicken Lollipops

Post by beachbums »

Sounds like a winnner dinner there. :-)

Out of curiosity how did the lollipops come out? Did you go for crispy skin or more of a glaze? Im guessing sauces seeing they were in with the brisket?

Cheers, Wayne
DingoWA

Post by DingoWA »

Thanks for the post. What temp did you run the DC at? And what temp was the brisket at after 12 hours pleas?
Weber OTG/Roti, Workhorse gassers, Weber Q, GMG DC
wedwards

Post by wedwards »

beachbums wrote:Sounds like a winnner dinner there. :-)

Out of curiosity how did the lollipops come out? Did you go for crispy skin or more of a glaze? Im guessing sauces seeing they were in with the brisket?

Cheers, Wayne
I put the lollipops on during the last 2 hours of the cook. Once the brisket was finished I sauced them and cranked it up a little for 30 mins to finish. This gave me skin that wasn't crispy but also wasn't soggy either.

wedwards

Post by wedwards »

DingoWA wrote:Thanks for the post. What temp did you run the DC at? And what temp was the brisket at after 12 hours pleas?
I used the default profile for brisket in the GMG app just to see what the result would be like. From memory it was something like 185 F for 7 hours, stay at 185 until temp probe is 165 F then go up to 225 F until temp probe hits 198 F.

Normally I would just run at 225 for however long it takes to get to final temp but I liked this slightly better I think.

Spritzed with watered down orange juice ever hour after the first 7 hours until done.

DingoWA

Post by DingoWA »

Thanks. I'll keep using the default. Appreciate the tip.
Weber OTG/Roti, Workhorse gassers, Weber Q, GMG DC
Nath

Post by Nath »

Sounds like you nailed it wedwards!

Nath
Nath
pepe

Post by pepe »

wedwards wrote:Well I started early this morning with this baby grass fed brisket;

Got bored halfway through so made some chicken lollipops as well. Used the brisket profile for the GMG and it got a basic salt, pepper, and garlic rub. Took about 12 hours and the brisket came out like butter. There would have been a photo of the end result, however these vultures called my family were eating it faster than I could cut it (that's usually the indicator that I've done something right). Very nice smoke ring too. Used GMG gold, a sample bag of jack Daniels, and topped up with some bbqr's delight oak pellets. Great smoke flavour, and a nice well pronounced smoke ring.

This was the first cook since getting the don godke downdraft. It's so simple but so effective - way way less pellets used, and much better smoke ring without needing to supplement with a smoking tube, plus temps were very stable across the whole grill for the first time ever. Very happy with this mod on this grill.

Hopefully next time I will be able to take pics of the finished product and also have some leftovers for lunches.

My grandfather was a beef farmer before he passed away. Would have been very happy to eat this - nice well pronounced beef flavour supplemented by the subtle flavour of the rub - Aaron Franklin is right on the money with this simple rub. Now I'm getting hungry again.

Hey wedwards , am very interested in reading about the downdraft add on, could you expand a bit more.

cheers
Nath

Post by Nath »

Hey Pepe,

You can google it should be able to find out a bit more. Basically assist the grill in getting an even temperature across the grill. (Offsets and pellet grills often have a hotter and cooler side). I think this is probably less prominent in the DC purely because of its size, so less need for a downdraft system/tuning plates or similar.
I could be completely wrong:)
I'm interested to see its affects on pellet consumption though.

Nath
Nath
wedwards

Post by wedwards »

You can find Don Godke on Facebook. Basically it's a triangular piece that sit on the wall opposite your chimney. It has a circular flu that lines up with your chimney so you can control how much air gets sucked out the chimney. I've found it helps keeping temps the same all over the grill, and has massively reduce pellet consumption. Don makes them for the whole GMG pellet range. Not cheap for what they are, but the savings on pellets are worth it. If you're slightly handy at bending some 2mm sheet, let me know and I can send you some pics as it would take about 10 mins to make one yourself.

Bentley

Post by Bentley »

pelletgrillaccessories.com also make a DD Hood, they actually were the 1st I believe. They now offer a version that has a flip doo that one can slide to adjust amount of smoke in chamber. I did a Product review of the product on Pelletheads.com, did find that it stabilized temps, and pellet consumption was improved by about 7% in the Tests we did!

1st photo is new model with flip door, 2nd is 1st generation.

2nd Photo courtesy of Toddler.
Last edited by Bentley on Tue Sep 08, 2015 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Burnt By The Best
Competition BBQ Team

Fresno State University
Go Dogs!

wedwards

Post by wedwards »

Nice! Good to know there are other options out there. With the Aussie dollar being so rubbish at present I think it cost me about $130 from Don as postage was nasty. Will still be recouping that cash in pellet savings, and pretty quickly as well with the amount in using it every week.

pepe

Post by pepe »

Thanks for the replies guys, I'll be catching up with Chris later in the week so will discuss it further with him,

I guess you have to run your BBQ first to check for hot spots, but if it saves pellet consumption it could be worth looking at
pepe

Post by pepe »

Bentley wrote:pelletgrillaccessories.com also make a DD Hood, they actually were the 1st I believe. They now offer a version that has a flip doo that one can slide to adjust amount of smoke in chamber. I did a Product review of the product on Pelletheads.com, did find that it stabilized temps, and pellet consumption was improved by about 7% in the Tests we did!

1st photo is new model with flip door, 2nd is 1st generation.

2nd Photo courtesy of Toddler.
Hey there Bently, just interested if you have installed one of these on your pellet grill