Weber plate/griddle/sheet + other

GASSERS, LPG OR NATURAL
LuvbbQ

Weber plate/griddle/sheet + other

Post by LuvbbQ »

Hi,

Great forum you guys have here! :)

I'm about to purchase a Weber Q220 and would appreciate some info regarding the purpose of the following items and whether they are worth buying.

Weber Q Breakfast Plate
Weber Q Non-Stick Breakfast Plate Sheet (is this the much spoken about 'teflon sheet' ?)
Weber Q Premium Griddle

http://www.weberbbq.com.au/weberqaccessories_3.htm

Would it be correct to say both the breakfast plate and griddle do the same job and therefore only one is required?

What other items should I consider? So far I'm looking into the following.

Weber trivet
Weber grill brush (i'm thinking the long version is better?)
Weber temp gauge (any good?)
Weber book

All info and opinions are most appreciated. Thanks.
Captain Cook

Re: Weber plate/griddle/sheet + other

Post by Captain Cook »

LuvbbQ wrote:Hi,

Great forum you guys have here! :)

I'm about to purchase a Weber Q220 and would appreciate some info regarding the purpose of the following items and whether they are worth buying.

Weber Q Breakfast Plate
Weber Q Non-Stick Breakfast Plate Sheet (is this the much spoken about 'teflon sheet' ?)
Weber Q Premium Griddle

http://www.weberbbq.com.au/weberqaccessories_3.htm

Would it be correct to say both the breakfast plate and griddle do the same job and therefore only one is required?

What other items should I consider? So far I'm looking into the following.

Weber trivet
Weber grill brush (i'm thinking the long version is better?)
Weber temp gauge (any good?)
Weber book

All info and opinions are most appreciated. Thanks.
LuvbbQ
Welcome to the forum and thanks for the kind words.
The Breakfast Plate and the Premium Griddle will both do the same thing. The Breakfast plate is lighter and therefore requires less heat energy to get to cooking temperature It needs to preheat for about 8 - 10 minutes. The premium griddle really needs about 15 minutes.
Either one will fulfil your needs, however, with the premium griddle you have the advantage of lifting it of the Q with the handles supplied and then placing it direct on the table with the handles acting as legs which means that the food will stay hot. You can also use it to cook things like fried rice and noodles on and then serve it direct on the table.
The Weber grill sheet is small and designed to fit the breakfast plate, it is thicker than some of the others on the market. Aldi has a larger version of these on sale for $5.00 and Woolies have them in the outdoor/BBQ section for about $10.00. I prefer the larger ones, don't cut it down, when cooking just leave the part not being used hang outside the Q it won't get hot and you will have something to hang on to when flipping the food over. Just make sure you have about 40mm minimum airgap so that the fire can breathe. You can place the teflon sheet direct on the grill of the Weber Q series but be careful if you try on other BBQs.
The other essential accessories that you need to start with are.
Trivet
Triangular Brush
Cover

If you are going to do a few roasts it the Q then the Weber Digital Thermometer or similar will stop you having failures. I have 2 Weber Digital thermometers and swear by them. I have had one probe fail after a couple of months - there was a short in the lead where it joins the probe, the indicated temp went to 199C which indicates a fault. Weber replaced the probe - no problems.

The Weber Q cookbook is a good resource especially if you have only been a steak and sausage burner. It has a lot of great hints and recipes that use different methods of cooking to give you a basis for creating your own.

The other accessories that you may want to consider as you move forward are the Pizza stone and tray and the Vegetable grilling dish.

Hope this helps.

Cheers
LuvbbQ

Post by LuvbbQ »

Captain Cook wrote:

The Breakfast Plate and the Premium Griddle will both do the same thing. The Breakfast plate is lighter and therefore requires less heat energy to get to cooking temperature It needs to preheat for about 8 - 10 minutes. The premium griddle really needs about 15 minutes.
Either one will fulfil your needs, however, with the premium griddle you have the advantage of lifting it of the Q with the handles supplied and then placing it direct on the table with the handles acting as legs which means that the food will stay hot. You can also use it to cook things like fried rice and noodles on and then serve it direct on the table.
Thanks for the reply.

I noticed on the Weber site it gives the following description of the breakfast plate.

"Flat on one side to cook all your traditional barbecue favourites, ribbed on the reverse side for vegetables and delicate fish.

Is the griddle the same? Unfortunately the images on the Weber site aren't very helpful.
The Weber grill sheet is small and designed to fit the breakfast plate, it is thicker than some of the others on the market. Aldi has a larger version of these on sale for $5.00 and Woolies have them in the outdoor/BBQ section for about $10.00. I prefer the larger ones, don't cut it down, when cooking just leave the part not being used hang outside the Q it won't get hot and you will have something to hang on to when flipping the food over. Just make sure you have about 40mm minimum airgap so that the fire can breathe. You can place the teflon sheet direct on the grill of the Weber Q series but be careful if you try on other BBQs.
What's the main purpose of cooking on a teflon sheet? I'm assuming it's the ease of cleaning up after you're done but tbh I've never had experience with them.
The other essential accessories that you need to start with are.
Trivet
Triangular Brush
Cover
Do you mean the brush found on the following page?

http://www.weberbbq.com.au/allpurposeaccessories_3.htm

Thanks.
Captain Cook

Post by Captain Cook »

Premium griddle does not have the ribbed side. however when you use the teflon grill sheet you can get the grill marks I always grill salmon fillets on the grill sheet and they turn out better than any other way (except for Cedar Planked Salmon).

The teflon grill sheet will take the place of the plate/griddle you can grill direct on it. It heats up in 30 seconds and will cool in about the same time, It takes a lot less heat energy. you can cook any delicate dishes, veggies, seafood, onions, hamburgers on it. It allows you to quickly switch between cooking styles when doing multiple cooks. Because it is flexible you can use as much or as little as required and still have plenty of room for other dishes.

Yes the triangular brush is the same brush. I wanted to make sure that you got the best one that is specifically manufactured to suit the Weber Q.

Cheers
Davo
Forum Administrator

Post by Davo »

Hi Luvbbq,

The Weber Q cookbook does tend to recommend the breakfast hotplate in their recipes because of it's more square shape and that it sits in the middle of the Weber Q series over the 2 sides of the burners wheras the griddle plate tends to be designed so it sits more towards the back side of the grill. Both the griddle and the hotplate sit ontop of the grillbars and can be taken off at any time but i think the griddle is much better for this as Captain cook explained as it has 2 hook legs to life it off the plate and place on a table while it's still sizzling.
I have a Q220 and a griddle but don't have the breakfast plate as most of the cooking I do is on the grillgrates but the griddle gets used to cook up a bacon & egg breakfast and does a great job and if i want to do something else after that, i just lift off the griddle and put it somewhere safe till it cools down.
With the premium griddle, because it sits towards the back of the bbq, you can also place other foods in front of it to grill directly on the grillbars at the same time.The griddle has a big wide area plenty big enough to do most griddle type cooking.
As Phil (Captain Cook) states, to do fish, best to do directly on the grillbars using the teflon sheet, it's the same as grilling in a way but the grill sheet softens the intense heat of the grillbars but you still get the grill marks...sensational. Although it is stated on the packages of the grill sheets not to use it directly over the fire, in some ways that's true but with the Weber Q series, it's plenty safe to place it directly on the grill bars, but i wouldn't try it with the larger and hotter larger 4 burner type bbqs, it may get too hot for it....the sheets are generally good for about 250-260C which is plenty hot enough for grilling.
Only thing you must be aware of with the grill sheet is it can't fully replace a hotplate or griddle because if you want to griddle something like eggs, when you break the eggs onto the teflon sheet, the weight of the eggs will make the sheet channel between the grill bars and may run off the sides..it can be done but you just need to be aware of it and if you like your onions grilled with beer as many Aussie blokes do,best to use a hotplate or griddle for any liquid type grilling to save run-off. If oil runs off the sheet, it may cause the sheet to catch fire and we don't want that do we....
I don't know the exact measurements of the brekky plate but judging by the photos in the Q book, it looks a lot smaller than the griddle..yes the griddle might take a bit longer to heat up but when it does..it's bloody hot and sizzles like a champion....i have no experience as yet with the brekky plate, I can only comment on the griddle and it's a good buy....just make sure you buy the correct size as the griddle for the Q220 and the Q120 are different in length. Same goes with the trivet, theres 2 different sizes...large for the Q200 series and 300 series and a smaller one for the 100 series.

Hope this helps you a bit..

Cheers

Davo
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5
Captain Cook

Post by Captain Cook »

Actually Davo they recently released a trivet for the 300 which is bigger, Now we have 3 to contend with.

Cheers
Davo
Forum Administrator

Post by Davo »

Ok thanks Phil, wasn't aware of that....i just thought there was 2 sizes only...ok that's good..should keep the Q300 people happy :D

Cheers

Davo
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5
Captain Cook

Post by Captain Cook »

Here's a good tip if you are going to use the Breakfast Plate (BP) or Premium Griddle (PG). As you know if you use the teflon sheet on the BP or PG it is relatively easy to clean them after you have finished - all you have to do is wash the teflon sheet.
You can also use a sheet of baking paper for a lot of dishes on the BP and PG, it works just as well and you just throw the baking paper away when you have finished.

Cheers
LuvbbQ

Post by LuvbbQ »

Thanks for all the info.

I ended up getting the following.

W Q220
W griddle
W trivet
W digital temp gauge
W short brush
W book
W plate sheet + larger non weber sheet (bonus)

The weather hasn't been the best so we haven't fired it up yet...hopefully in the coming days.

I also recommend the guys at homefires Minto.. great service, great price and delivery to your door!
Bren

Post by Bren »

I have just received my bbq sheet from bbqezy it was folded in half, leaving a ridge also it is made in china this concerns me as a number of products coming out of china have been found to contain harmful chemicals. I am not saying this is the case but I want a lot more information on this specific product before I use it. I have emailed bbq easy just now so I will await there response and any one else who can shed some light on this particular product. Thanks in advance Bren
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

Thanks Rex,

In a nutshell, this material is FOOD SAFE!

I use it all the time for catering and cooking on in the Lunch Bar, it's an easy way to do a vegitarian (yuk) meal without a serparate BBQ.

Chris
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!
Bren

Post by Bren »

have used my new bbq ezy sheet and it works well, yes you can fry eggs on it without them running off the extra thickness really helps
Commander Cody

Post by Commander Cody »

good call chris.....the vege thing,

you just chucked me a 6 degrees of seperation.....now back to neccessities for Luvbbq's Q.....also me old, i think you need the weber vege roaster tray thingy thing.

kevin
....up in smoke.....that's where my money goes.....
Oviein

Post by Oviein »

Sorry to bring this thread back around...just my two cents...

I was given a griddle, 2'x4' 3/4" thick top, from a friend because he needed to get rid of it. The griddle sat in my garage for a while because i really couldn't see myself using it more than maybe a couple times a year. I eventually gave it to the local fire department so they could use it for their pancake breakfasts they have. I think my buddy used it maybe twice and i never used it in about 4 years time so it's not a very practical thing to have taking up valuable real estate. Maybe if you hosted a lot of parties i could see getting one but for the typical party host, a grill is much more functional. I think Cabelas sells smaller griddles that might be more practical than one that's 2'x4'. Just my opinion on griddles.
paulr
Forum Administrator

Post by paulr »

Thumbs up!
Yup, one of those things you never use!!!

Happy BBQ-ing, Paul
http://aussiebbq.info/wp - my blog
https://lifesafeast.com.au/cookingclass ... criptions/ - great cooking classes
See Me, Feel Me, Touch Me, Beer Me.