Give it a good mix and stuff it in bungs
Finnish off the wine
in the skins
And hanging now wait a month
robduca

Re: Had my first go at salami

Post by robduca »

Nice. Looks great.
This is something I want to have a go at soon.
Gotta organise the garage so I actually have room to move first haha.
wedwards

Post by wedwards »

Looks awesome. We do it every year. Our recipe is fluid, as we do it the old italian way.

Generally speaking, the only thing that is set, is the amount of salt used, which should be 3% of total meat weight, if not using any kind of curing salts (sausages should be 2% salt).

After that, its pretty much up to taste. We used some cracked black pepper, garlic powder, red wine. One of the best things you can add to your salami is something italians call red pepper paste, which is basically a mild red chilli paste - we usually add 1 jar of this to 10kgs of meat, instead of chilli flakes, but if you want an extra hot one, then add chilli flakes on top of that.

Oh, and the meat must contain at least 30% fat - all ground on the coarsest setting. Only put it through the grinder once - if your sausage filler is on your grinder, make sure that you can take the cutting bit out, as you do NOT want it ground twice (which is why i went and got a dedicated sausage stuffer).

I would also recommend getting a good meat mixer, and learning how much you need to mix the meat before its ready to put in casings - meat should turn super sticky, and if you grab a handful and turn your hand upside down it should stick to your hand for a few seconds at least. If you dont do this, you risk the salami drying incorrectly, and sometimes it can dry on the outside, and have a hole in the centre bit which can be prone to mould.

You can pretty much add whatever flavours you want, after the base flavours are in there - just cook some to test for taste. By the end of the night we are usually adding whiskey, port, rum, or whatever else we are drinking at the time. Believe it or not, all of these flavours can work together :)

This year we are trialling some of the salami skins that dont require hanging - just fill and place in fridge immediately. They let moisture out, and no bad stuff in. The most common of these are the umai dry bags. If this year's test goes well, we will revert to that way next year as we have plenty of fridge space and it allows us to make it any time of year, as weather is no longer a factor.
food&fish

Post by food&fish »

Thanks for that its all taken in as its my first its a learning curve
Talking to a bloke yesterday they made 90 kg this year
wedwards

Post by wedwards »

Its a good thing to learn and something fun to do with the family. We did about 35kg of salami between 3 families this year, and about 20kg of fresh sausage between 2 of us, after butchering a pig last weekend. Not much sausage because we did all the pancetta, coppa, capocollo, proscuitto, etc etc. Lots of fun.
food&fish

Post by food&fish »

wedwards wrote:Its a good thing to learn and something fun to do with the family. We did about 35kg of salami between 3 families this year, and about 20kg of fresh sausage between 2 of us, after butchering a pig last weekend. Not much sausage because we did all the pancetta, coppa, capocollo, proscuitto, etc etc. Lots of fun.
Man I would love to sit in on one of your days
wedwards

Post by wedwards »

If I remember next year I will let you know. Its usually a bit hit and miss with the date/day and when everyone is able to do it.
flyonline

Post by flyonline »

wedwards wrote:
This year we are trialling some of the salami skins that dont require hanging - just fill and place in fridge immediately. They let moisture out, and no bad stuff in. The most common of these are the umai dry bags. If this year's test goes well, we will revert to that way next year as we have plenty of fridge space and it allows us to make it any time of year, as weather is no longer a factor.
Interesting, can you give a link etc. please. We've done a few years of salami making ourselves, and still have some that is 2yrs old that is eating great.

We inadvertently worked out a way to spread the workload when our filler broke down only a short way into filling the casings, so we wrapped the ground meat well in cling wrap, left it in the fridge and filled the rest of them later in the week. I'd even go so far as to say that the ones that were filled later were more tastier.

Can't beat a bit of fennel in there too :wink:
niko123456

Post by niko123456 »

And I didn't even know there was any booze in a salami..

Sounds like awesome fun though.

Are you guys super critical on hygiene?
wedwards

Had my first go at salami

Post by wedwards »

Booze helps the ph be the right level so that the right moulds grow and the wrong ones don't get a chance - there is science to the madness :)
wedwards

Post by wedwards »

And yeah I'm super critical on hygiene because of my beer brewing background but others not so much - seems to yield similar results. Bear in mind we do this at night in a shed when it's super cold without any heating on.
wedwards

Post by wedwards »

Link to the skins that you can aged in fridge as requested: http://www.smokedandcured.com.au/banque ... -5-metres/
flyonline

Post by flyonline »

wedwards wrote:Link to the skins that you can aged in fridge as requested: http://www.smokedandcured.com.au/banque ... -5-metres/
Ta muchly :wink:
Bentley

Post by Bentley »

Is it a fermented sausage? No lactic acid starter cultures? Will it end up a hard salami?
Burnt By The Best
Competition BBQ Team

Fresno State University
Go Dogs!

food&fish

Post by food&fish »

Bentley wrote:Is it a fermented sausage? No lactic acid starter cultures? Will it end up a hard salami?
Just good old Italian salami no starters