Tip Top Temp

Please post here any info in relation to BBQ product suppliers.
Company "ads" allowed as long as they pertain to BBQ-ing
Fents

Tip Top Temp

Post by Fents »

I know theres been a tiny bit of discussion on these, but not sure if most are aware :

http://tiptoptemp.com/

Gadget that fits onto your exisiting top damper and uses a bi metal coil to self regulate temps. Basically if you set this thing to a temp it shouldnt move regardless of things like outside wind and temperature swings. Origianlly designed for webers then some of the guys on the BSK (big steel keg) forum found it and adapated it. Now over on the kamado guru forums the Akorn biys have adapted it as well. They are cheap to buy $29.99US and if you set it right it should negate the use for an automatic temp controller. No wires, no batteries, no power so less to go wrong on those long overnight cooks.

If you have an Akorn (and im assuming a dragon will be the same) here is what you need to make it fit :

http://www.bunnings.com.au/tic-25-36cm- ... s_p3930078

And heres what it looks like :

As for results well i held 225f for 5 hours straight with no food in the akorn, did not move an inch despite being about 10c in melb this weekend. Am yet to actually cook something with it but all the other 100+ reviews have been solid on all the other forums. Cheers for looking.
DAK

Re: Tip Top Temp

Post by DAK »

I've got one of these.

I use it on my kettle and it's fantastic. I was going to buy a Guru pit controller however read the reviews of the TTT and for $40 I thought I'd give it a go. Glad I did.

Using the snake method I did a 12 hour brisket cook without touch the Kettle once ! I just light 10 heat beads, put them on the snake, opened the bottom vents 50%, , top vents 100%, put the TTT on top, set the TTT at 4.5 and off she went for 12 hours.

The best BBQ gadget I've purchased.
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

The Plate hanger....That's a good answer Fents!

I stock these, they are $59.99 inc express post.

They were designed for the Weber Kettle and they work really well! alimac has been testing one for me on his Akorn and I've tested it on my BSK and Saffire Kamado. They are actually quite clever.
It works by calibrating the spring according to the ambient temperature, a bit tricky to get your head around, but really clever engineering!

I've rewritten the instructions as they are a bit hard to understand, I’ve included a temperature chart for easy setting. If anyone wants a copy, you can download it from this page on my website: http://urbangriller.com.au/product/tip-top-temp/

I did a little video of one of my tests:

Cheers
Chris
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!
alimac23

Tip Top Temp

Post by alimac23 »

Love the plate hanger idea fents! I was thinking a thicker silicon band would do the job but the plate hanger is awesome!
Narmnaleg

Post by Narmnaleg »

Wow, very clever!
WarmBeer

Post by WarmBeer »

Nice one, Fents.

What setting do you leave the bottom vent on?
Dragon Kamado | Weber OTS | Hark (Aldi) Smoker | Rusty Gasser
Card Shark

Post by Card Shark »

Own a BGE and doesn't need help.
DAK

Post by DAK »

Bottom vent 50% open for me with a snake.

BGE using them too, I first heard of them on the Egg Forum. They mustn't have Card Sharks skills.
Fents

Post by Fents »

WarmBeer wrote:Nice one, Fents.

Ive only had a play with it but bottom vent was normal for 225f, about 1/4" open

The stock standard top vent remains fully open, and then you adjust your temp with the TTT.

These things will not help you overshoot a temp though, its not like you can just press 225f and it finds it, you have to manauly find it but when you do it will stay rock solid!
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

Fents wrote:
WarmBeer wrote:Nice one, Fents.

Ive only had a play with it but bottom vent was normal for 225f, about 1/4" open

The stock standard top vent remains fully open, and then you adjust your temp with the TTT.

These things will not help you overshoot a temp though, its not like you can just press 225f and it finds it, you have to manauly find it but when you do it will stay rock solid!
That's the hard part to understand, they will find the temperature you want, but you have to understand how to set it.

Each number setting on the dial will provide an increase of 31 - 35°C (84 - 94°F) above the ambient temperature when you set the TipTopTemp.

Have only a crack of air coming in the bottom vent.

Set the dial numbers for this approximate temperature range:

(1-2) LOW 31-62°C (84 - 112°F) above ambient
(3-4)MEDIUM 93-104 °C (167 - 187F) above ambient
(5-6)HIGH 155-186°C (280 - 335°F) above ambient

Download my instruction sheet for a better idea of how it works.

Cheers
Chris
JOCKs

Post by JOCKs »

It's an ingenious design, using a bi-metal spring to control the vent. But dirty fire ? Creosote settling intop of the meat ? I dunno, I'm in the top vent wide open camp
DAK

Post by DAK »

Yeah Chris I'm in Sydney (ambient temp 10-18c at the moment) and I find 4.5-5 gets me 107c and once there is holds brilliantly without completely closing.

I think the combination of intake being only slightly open with the top never fully closing is the combo that prevents no creosote. I've used it 4 times in 2 weeks and it's not delivered even a hint of creosote.
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

DAK wrote:Yeah Chris I'm in Sydney (ambient temp 10-18c at the moment) and I find 4.5-5 gets me 107c and once there is holds brilliantly without completely closing.

I think the combination of intake being only slightly open with the top never fully closing is the combo that prevents no creosote. I've used it 4 times in 2 weeks and it's not delivered even a hint of creosote.
That's right DAK, in a Kamado particularly it wants just a match width of air in the bottom and that keeps the air moving upward, the Top Top Temp then takes over. While it's technically not necessary in a Kamado, you can setup a Kamado to run on temp unassisted, they do work great! The real joy is with the kettle, the snake will hold 110C (230F) easily, but setting up for other temperatures is not that easy, the Tip Top Temp takes care of that.

It's likely every bi-Metal spring operates slightly differently, I would have set at 3 for Ambient 10c and target 107c...but if it's working! I love the way you can see it tweaking the opening.

Cheers
Chris
Card Shark

Post by Card Shark »

DAK wrote: BGE using them too, I first heard of them on the Egg Forum.
BGE post links..? Seems an expensive radiator cap for those new to Q.
DAK

Post by DAK »

Card Shark wrote:
DAK wrote: BGE using them too, I first heard of them on the Egg Forum.
BGE post links..? Seems an expensive radiator cap for those new to Q.
here's a couple of links.

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1180 ... for-my-ttt

Or

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1183 ... and-update

It's unnecessary if you can maintain temps without it but for those who can't it's less than half the price of the blower operated units and works a treat. Much more basic of course also.

Good luck with your decision.