Red heads natural wood charcoal - ok for kamado?

Charcoal cookers (such as Weber Kettles)
Dgr

Post by Dgr »

The hexagonal tubes. Are these ok to use with a ceramic kamado? - or do I need to stick with natural lump.

Thanks
FirePlay

Re: Red heads natural wood charcoal - ok for kamado?

Post by FirePlay »

In my opinion they work better than lump - longer lasting, more stable and predictable - less prone to overshooting so rapidly as they are a little more forgiving on the vent positioning - and minimal ash etc. Easy to add whatever smoke profile you want with your added wood as the Redheads have virtually no flavour of their own, being more fully carbonised than most sources of lump. This can be a good or a bad thing, depending on what you want.

If you have a look at the Komodo Kamado crowd (the Rolls Royce of kamados...), they swear by similar stuff made out of coconut charcoal for these reasons - they just add their own smoke flavour with their added wood.

Personally, I would just buy whatever's cheaper - but I'm like that! :D
Gumb

Post by Gumb »

I agree with that. I use them a lot but haven't been able to source them for a while. I still have a few boxes under the house though. Their only downside is that they take a bit longer to light.
Dgr

Post by Dgr »

Thanks guys. I'll give them a try. I have read that natural lump is the hottest burning. Is this also true of these red heads, or should i stick with natural lump for high temp cooks(like pizza).
Ciapek

Post by Ciapek »

I run the Robot Turds exclusively, they work on slow, and hot cooks for me, and the wife likes the fact that they are smoke neutral.
Can't smoke too much when I'm cooking for the family,.
Pizza runs just fine on these.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
emberpak

Post by emberpak »

Depending on the brand you get, briquettes will all perform differently. Some burn hotter but go faster, others will burn long be at a lower temp, and some ash more than others. All comes down to the type of wood used, fixed carbon content, volatile matter and ash %, etc.

Briquettes can get hot:

Though, to be honest, I've seen lump go well above 1000C. Just depends on airflow.

Here's briquettes from 2 different manufacturers: