Akorn and Dragon Dome Temps

Charcoal cookers (such as Weber Kettles)
Squinty

Post by Squinty »

I found my dome thermometer about 50-60C out yesterday. The dome was about 75 and my igrill about 130. For searing and pizzas it doesnt matter but low n slow get a good digi.
Gumb

Re: Akorn and Dragon Dome Temps

Post by Gumb »

There will be a difference between dome temp and grill temp but not that much. Have you tested your dome thermometer in boiling water to see what it reads ?
Squinty

Post by Squinty »

No. But i had a probe on the grill and a probe just dropped in top air vent. Both read about the same.

I'll take the dome thermo out when i get a chance. I use thermometers all day at work and have checked the calibration of my igrill's. They are spot on.
FirePlay

Post by FirePlay »

I've seen at least the same discrepancy between the Dragon's thermometer and one dropped down the vent. Takes a lot longer for the Dragon's to move too - it would be great to find an accurate one to replace it but in the meantime I will just use the grill level version anyway.

Best pizzas I've ever cooked came off it on the weekend but there are no pics so it didn't happen!
Gumb

Post by Gumb »

I've had 2 probes inside my kamado (ceramic, not a D or A) and have found the two digitalis (QMaster and Maverick) can be slightly different and the dome thermometer lower, by say 10c but in time they all seem to agree. The dome certainly takes longer to catch up. The difference in dome and grill was from my experience with a Weber kettle which is usually around 20f but perhaps the Akorn and Dragon don't have that issue due to the insulation and they are more like the ceramic kamado a in that respect.
Squinty

Post by Squinty »

They do alright pizzas.
WarmBeer

Post by WarmBeer »

Squinty wrote:I use thermometers all day at work and have checked the calibration of my igrill's. They are spot on.
Are you using the standard iGrill probes?

I think I recall reading that they're not "pit" probes. But hey, temperature is temperature.
Dragon Kamado | Weber OTS | Hark (Aldi) Smoker | Rusty Gasser
Narmnaleg

Post by Narmnaleg »

Great work with the pizza Squinty!!!
Squinty

Post by Squinty »

Sorry about the blurry picture but you can see a fair bit of time elapsed. Over the 5 hour cook i think the highest i saw the dome thermo was 90C.
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

The Standard gauge will be a $10 replacement item, so that tells you something.

Also also probes are not suitable for taking pit temperature, they will give you an idea, but on the Maverick ET733 or 735 you need to tell the probe what it is measuring, because the logic it uses is different.

Cheers
Chris
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!
Squinty

Post by Squinty »

urbangriller wrote:The Standard gauge will be a $10 replacement item, so that tells you something.

Also also probes are not suitable for taking pit temperature, they will give you an idea, but on the Maverick ET733 or 735 you need to tell the probe what it is measuring, because the logic it uses is different.

Cheers
Chris
Why are they unsuitable? They have range setting standard within the app? 100deg is 100deg yeah?

Im going to get a Maverick when we go to the States in November anyway
Muppet

Post by Muppet »

Ive noticed my thermos part when the meat is stalling, they are pretty close before that, I'm guessing because of exothermic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Baby steps...
Current Weaponry - Saffire Kamado, Treager Junior, Outdoorchef 57, Performer 46, 'Fooseball' Grill, Hibachi
AlexG

Post by AlexG »

I also found this problem for two hours yesterday - Dragon gauge was reading ~140C whereas ET-733 was reading 200C. Might explain why my first pre-ET-733 cook was overcooked. Well that's my excuse anyway!
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

Squinty wrote:
urbangriller wrote:The Standard gauge will be a $10 replacement item, so that tells you something.

Cheers
Chris
Why are they unsuitable? They have range setting standard within the app? 100deg is 100deg yeah?

Im going to get a Maverick when we go to the States in November anyway
You are using a meat probe, it will measure using a different logarithm than a Pit probe. It will give you an idea of the temper but the logarithm is meant for updating meat temperatures, so it averages the readings, the logarithm for a pit probe behaves differently to reflect the pit temp. This is why the stem on a pit gauge is thick, so the temp moves slowly and doesn't react to every minute change in the heat inside the cooker.

Chris
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

AlexG wrote:I also found this problem for two hours yesterday - Dragon gauge was reading ~140C whereas ET-733 was reading 200C. Might explain why my first pre-ET-733 cook was overcooked. Well that's my excuse anyway!
......at the end of the day the dome gauge is a guide, it's el cheapo....and it's in the dome, not at grill height, so it will read different to a grill mounted probe.

I'm not sure if you can do it with a Dragon/Akorn but on my Saffire I find it useful to rotate the gauge so the needle is vertical then a quick glance tells me if my temperature is holding.

Chris