Buying Ribs in Sydney

All Meats Including BEEF, PORK, LAMB & GAME
dionysus32

Buying Ribs in Sydney

Post by dionysus32 »

Hey fellas

I'm in South Sydney and having a hard time finding a decent set of pork spare ribs..
Most of the time they are full of shiners or cut in half.

Anyone in the area who can share their butcher with me?

Thanks
John
aussieant32

Re: Buying Ribs in Sydney

Post by aussieant32 »

How far south? How far will you travel?
Coolabah Gas Smoker, Weber One Touch, Dragon Kamado
Grill Pro Australia

Post by Grill Pro Australia »

I've picked up some pretty good ones from Costco in the past.

Cheers, Dave
Grill Pro Australia
Importing Yoder Smokers, BBQr's Delight Pellets, Hammer Stahl Knives and American Rubs & Sauces into Australia
https://www.yodersmokers.net.au/
https://bbqrsdelight.net.au//
Instagram: @GRILL_PRO
Macca33

Post by Macca33 »

Hope you don't mind me tagging along in this but if anyone knows a good place around Chatswood that would be great.
Hark Gas Smoker, Weber Kettle, Mini Spit, Cheap Gasser
aussieant32

Post by aussieant32 »

Tender Gourmet Meats in Macquarie Park is an excellent butcher in that area mate. Can get you anything you want
dionysus32

Post by dionysus32 »

More specifically I'm near Kogarah..
I'm happy to travel 15-20mins as I normally frequent meat emporium but their $25/kg pork ribs are only good for making stock..

I plan on visiting bresnahans in Mortdale some time this week and seeing what they have to offer.
Narmnaleg

Post by Narmnaleg »

dionysus32 wrote:More specifically I'm near Kogarah..
Hi mate, you might want to try this place:
Kogarah Best meats.
132 Railway Parade, Kogarah

Ask to speak to Vince and ask him for exactly what you want. For ready to buy American style pork ribs the place in Kogarah is not too good. They trim way too much and you'll pay $17 for bones, but they are happy to accommodate your specific needs usually, especially if you speak to Vince (the owner). Personally, I'd ask him for a belly with bone and then either cut the ribs out myself or ask him to do it and tell him to leave as much meat as you want on them. They also have the less pretty part of the rib closer to the backbone and forequarter ribs that are usually around $7 to $8 per Kg.

They aren't much to look at and very irregular, but you might want to give them a try to see if you like them.
I managed to find an old thread to give you an idea of what they're like:
They are on the left and beef shorts on the right:
http://www.aussiebbq.info/forum/viewtop ... 14&t=11845

They aren't always as pretty as these, but Chris makes them sing and dance here:
http://www.aussiebbq.info/forum/viewtop ... f=9&t=2509

Look for them in the display cabinet that's behind the counter where they serve you. That's also where they keep pork hocks and other cheap off cuts.
dionysus32

Post by dionysus32 »

Thanks for all that info, will swing by this afternoon if I finish work early.

I'm happy buying the belly with bone in most circumstances except this time I want to buy about 6 racks of ribs and I don't have room in the freezer to accommodate the belly also. lol
I didn't know about the forequater ribs, will pick some of these up since it seems like the cook time is not long at all.

Will also report back with what I find at mortdale.
aussieant32

Post by aussieant32 »

definitely let us know mate, Im 15 minutes from Kogarah and 10 from Mortdale so be interesting to hear both accounts. My local butcher in Sutherland will do anything you like but it can take a week or so if he doesn't have it in when I ask. Knowing a few more good locals would be ideal
Narmnaleg

Post by Narmnaleg »

If you need 6 racks of ribs for a special occasion I'd keep it simple. Costco will have them, they will be good and meaty and you can trawl through their fridge to make sure you get the ones you like the look of. They are $16 per kg from memory and they look like this: http://www.aussiebbq.info/forum/viewtop ... 17&t=13853

If you buy the forequarter ribs from the back cabinet in Kogarah make sure you ask them to cut them in half for you or they'll be too big (usually they'll offer to cut them for you anyway). Don't be shy and make sure you ask them for the ones that look good to you (or ask for a closer look) as they otherwise just pick whatever is closest.
aussieant32

Post by aussieant32 »

solid advice there mate. Hear it all the time in the butchers

"1 T-bone please" and so on, just take whatever they grab.

Mine knows me well enough now, when I ask for a steak he pulls the tray out automatically to show me :p
Narmnaleg

Post by Narmnaleg »

aussieant32 wrote:"1 T-bone please" and so on, just take whatever they grab.

Mine knows me well enough now, when I ask for a steak he pulls the tray out automatically to show me :p
Very true :)
At the Kogarah place they know that when I ask for a t-bone they have to get the slab from the back and cut it thicker for me. I then leave it in the fridge for 4-5 days before I cook it as it softens nicely.

These days if I'm not picky or I'm usually disappointed.
dionysus32

Post by dionysus32 »

Just got home after visiting Kogarah quality meats and I have to say I'm quite impressed..
I initially asked a staffer there who had no idea but the lady who works there overheard what I was asking for and quickly took over, she knew her stuff if not better than Vincent as she took over the cutting at one stage..

So I picked up a kg of the shoulder rib offcuts which were $8.99 a kg which she also highly recommended and 2 racks of ribs with pretty much the belly attached. I know I initially said I didn't want the belly but at $13.99/kg I didnt really care. Yes $13.99 a kg..

Here's some pics to give you guys an idea..

I plan to cook these this weekend but don't think the weather will clear and I just pulled down my pergola to do some renos :(
I'll probably cut the thick layer of meat off and maybe fill, roll and tie it for roasting or cut it into cubes, crisp it and add it to a red curry..
If all goes well next week i'll be back to Kogarah to buy 5 more..

You will probably think I'm an idiot because guess where I get off the train everyday, Kogarah.. Not once did I think to ask this butcher even though I get my T-bones from there all the time..
I also asked about Tomahawk steaks and she said they have them at about $21/kg which apparently is expensive at the moment, I've been paying about $27/kg :S

Thanks Narmnaleg
Narmnaleg

Post by Narmnaleg »

dionysus32 wrote:Thanks Narmnaleg
It's a pleasure. I hope it works out because the place is very handy.
Vince has sorted me out with brisket as well as the special loin cut that I use for Porchetta based purely on photos that I showed him :)
In fact last time I made porchetta he told me to go in to the shop and he'd keep the whole side of the animal intact for me so that I could then ask him exactly where I wanted him to cut it! :)
The best part is I bought a huge piece of pork loin, he charged me something like $10 or $11 per kg, he then cut the ribs off for me and they were awesome! So I got cheap ribs and a great cut for porchetta.
They are definitely good value!
Grill Pro Australia

Post by Grill Pro Australia »

Members in Sydney really should check out Nicholson & Saville for meat.

N + S supply wholesale to allot of Sydney restaurants

They also carry some Beef Short Ribs from New Zealand that are the biggest & best that I have seen anywhere in Australia. I'm not sure of the cost, but ask for Derek or Gavin and tell them I sent you.

They also carry some great steaks & Lamb cuts

Nicholson & Saville
Gavin or Derek
18/75 Cornish Circle, Eastgardens NSW
Office: 02 9666 5601
Email: gavin@nicholsonsaville.com.au
please phone for opening times
http://www.nicholsonsaville.com.au

Cheers, Dave
Grill Pro Australia
Importing Yoder Smokers, BBQr's Delight Pellets, Hammer Stahl Knives and American Rubs & Sauces into Australia
https://www.yodersmokers.net.au/
https://bbqrsdelight.net.au//
Instagram: @GRILL_PRO