Low and Slow in Weber Kettle

Charcoal cookers (such as Weber Kettles)
pelez80

Low and Slow in Weber Kettle

Post by pelez80 »

Hi Guys

So ive been seeing alot of american inspired dishes going around in queensland the last couple of weeks. Especially low and slow beef briskets and pork.

The pictures look nothing short of amazing. Are these results achievable on the kettle? if so what kind of rub can you use? how is the charcoal set up? what type of charcoal is required. Cooking time?

Im always doing chicken thigh fillets and steak on the kettle but looking at other meat to use.

If anyone can point me in the right direction i would greatly appreciate it :D
Last edited by pelez80 on Wed May 13, 2015 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
aussieant32

Re: low and slow in weber kettle

Post by aussieant32 »

100% achievable.

Can't really help with cooking times etc, depends on the meat, the cut, what you want to achieve etc. same goes for rubs, will depend on the meat and your tastes

In most cases on a kettle you would be looking to run the snake method. A quick Google will help explain.

You can use brickettes (heat beads) but I prefer lump as its a natural product. But it's a bit of a personal preference I guess
Coolabah Gas Smoker, Weber One Touch, Dragon Kamado
pelez80

Post by pelez80 »

thanks aussieant

i have seen the snake method which is pretty cool. Im still new to the charcoal scene and with work being busy lately, still have yet to try other methods of using the kettle. I love the taste of charcoal, so really looking at roasting and low and slow methods
aussieant32

Post by aussieant32 »

Best way is practise buddy.

Don't be afraid to ask questions and make mistakes :p

Heaps of info on this forum mate, start poking around
Coolabah Gas Smoker, Weber One Touch, Dragon Kamado
JOCKs

Post by JOCKs »

Don't be too put off by it mate. I lurked these forums for the better part of 2 years before i got started. Don't depend on your low and slow cook as being the main attraction at dinner for the first few cooks, it might turn out badly.
Bear

Post by Bear »

Want to be an expert? Practice is the key. I used to be a professional cook, and since discovering low n slow 3 years ago, I'm still learning . Practice and education (this forum) are your friends. Best of luck.
Charcoal: 22.5" Weber OTP 2000 | Wood Oven: Al Forno Piemonte R8 | Portable: Weber GA 2006
Gasser: NG WeberQ 320 | Rotisserie: Gaganis custom dual spit | Smoker: 18.5" WSM 2004
Narmnaleg

Post by Narmnaleg »

The best place to start is to have a look at a few youtubes (check out the Aaron Franklin ones) so that you're familiar with the cut of brisket you're looking for. You may need to order it ahead of time at your favourite butcher as it normally ends up in sausages, so they'll have to save it for you. Well worth it the hassle in my opinion.
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

For your first time out, I'd do Chuck not Brisket, it's easier to get and a better result, also an easier (less stress) cook than a Brisket!

Cheers
Chris
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!
12x7

Post by 12x7 »

pelez80 wrote:Hi Guys

So ive been seeing alot of american inspired dishes going around in queensland the last couple of weeks. Especially low and slow beef briskets and pork.

The pictures look nothing short of amazing. Are these results achievable on the kettle? if so what kind of rub can you use? how is the charcoal set up? what type of charcoal is required. Cooking time?

Im always doing chicken thigh fillets and steak on the kettle but looking at other meat to use.

If anyone can point me in the right direction i would greatly appreciate it :D
Try this site to get your taste buds going.
http://bbqpitboys.com/

Here's an example - Spring Beef Bisket

Corned Beef Brisket

The BBQ Pit boys can sure cook up a storm of great Southern American BBQ on their Weber, Smoker and Kamado.

What I like about this site is lots of youtube videos so you can see what it is supposed to look like.
Last edited by 12x7 on Mon May 11, 2015 8:11 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Golly

Post by Golly »

before i can read any of this thread the title spelling NEEDS TO BE CORRECTED :evil:
Team Go To Jail - Lifetime member!

TEAM WKC 1st chicken 4th beef 7th pork ribs 5th overall port macquarie march 2014
Narmnaleg

Post by Narmnaleg »

Golly wrote:before i can read any of this thread the title spelling NEEDS TO BE CORRECTED :evil:

Done! I couldn't look at that either once you pointed it out to me. :D
yakabot

low and slow in weber kettle

Post by yakabot »

Should it have a capital "W"?
:P:mrgreen:
Narmnaleg

Post by Narmnaleg »

yakabot wrote:Should it have a capital "W"?
:P:mrgreen:
:x Oh poobum! :oops: We might have to live with that one :mrgreen:
pelez80

Post by pelez80 »

Golly wrote:before i can read any of this thread the title spelling NEEDS TO BE CORRECTED :evil:

Apologies.. Hopefully its corrected :oops:

Thank you everyone for your input :D