Pizza Question

Post your recipe requests and cooking questions in this setion. Not for general discussions.
aussieant32

Pizza Question

Post by aussieant32 »

G'day

Firing up the Dragon Kamado tonight (similar to Akorn). I want to do pizza as a first cook.

Question it, can I put my pizza stone right on the grill plate or does it need to go somewhere else?
Coolabah Gas Smoker, Weber One Touch, Dragon Kamado
Gumb

Re: Pizza Question

Post by Gumb »

Have a read through this thread....

kamado pizzas

I found it hard to get the base right when cooking directly on the stone with the heat coming below. They tended to burn the base if the stone had been in there a while. I found the best method was to use the metal pizza trays with holes in them and then give it a quick go on the stone at the end. I had the tray on the upper rack and the stone on the grill level with the opening. The best temp is around 250c which gives a nice balance between cooing the top and bottom. They can take 10-15 minutes like that.
Narmnaleg

Post by Narmnaleg »

If you have a deflector, I'd put that in and let the stone come to temp with the rest of the kamado before placing a pizza on it. The stone should be pretty hot to cook the base properly. Gumb's video is also a good guide for another method.
aussieant32

Post by aussieant32 »

cheers mate.

How important are the holes? I have a pizza tray I could do that with tonight but it doesn't have holes?
Gumb

Post by Gumb »

Try it as see. I used them before I bought the hole type and used backing paper under the pizza to help it slide on and off. There are lots of different ways so give it a go with what you have and don't be disappointed if it doesn't come out exactly as you want. It's a matter of learning your own pit and trialling different methods. I used to pre grill one side of the base on the kamado, then put in the stone and upper rack, have the toppings on the grilled side and cook them like that. As I said, there are so many different methods which will work.

The dough is all important, are you making your own?
aussieant32

Post by aussieant32 »

I may do. Depends if I can be bothered. I make all my own bread etc, however, I need to go past the front door of a local artisan place today that makes bases every day. Might just grab one.
Gumb

Post by Gumb »

Sounds fine, I was hoping you weren't going to use those supermarket pre cooked bases.
aussieant32

Post by aussieant32 »

lol no. Even if I cant be bothered I would make one over them!
alimac23

Pizza Question

Post by alimac23 »

Narmnaleg wrote:If you have a deflector, I'd put that in and let the stone come to temp with the rest of the kamado before placing a pizza on it. The stone should be pretty hot to cook the base properly. Gumb's video is also a good guide for another method.
+1 for this, I cook all my pizza this way, they turn out great!
aussieant32

Post by aussieant32 »

they came out pretty well.

I used the stone on the grill. Base was crispy but they top needed a bit more. Although wife was a bit heavy handed with the cheese.

Think I will hunt today for one of those trays
Gumb

Post by Gumb »

Good stuff, you'll nail it in no time.
aussieant32

Post by aussieant32 »

ribs on next :)

Need to make a trip though, out of charcoal..
Michael_Dunn

Post by Michael_Dunn »

> How important are the holes?

I read somewhere the holes are there to make the base crispier
(may relate to oven cooked pizzas)
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

Michael_Dunn wrote:> How important are the holes?

I read somewhere the holes are there to make the base crispier
(may relate to oven cooked pizzas)
Yep, that's for oven cooked, they are also non stick teflon coated usually...so you don't want that in your Kamado!!

chris
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!
Narmnaleg

Post by Narmnaleg »

urbangriller wrote:Yep, that's for oven cooked, they are also non stick teflon coated usually...so you don't want that in your Kamado!!
+1
The teflon won't be rated for Kamado pizza temps and would be a health hazard. I've never found one that wasn't made of teflon, but then again I've never looked too hard for them...