3 2 1 question.

All Meats Including BEEF, PORK, LAMB & GAME
Commander Cody

3 2 1 question.

Post by Commander Cody »

as all you regulars know i keep bagging the texas crutch.

well..................i am gunna give it a go, i don't know which toy i will be using, but leaning more to the WSM.

i am doing pork spares ribs.

i plan to rub them with home made, in for 3...........wrapped for 2..........back for however long up to an hour.

now the thing that gets me, is...........when you have foiled the ribs after putting the majik ingredients in.

do you put them back in crown side down or meat side down..??..

the reason i am asking is......crown side down will sort of steam the ribs ( i think ), meat side down sorts of stews them..??..
the flavours you have used in the wrap if crown side down surely would not penitrate the ribs..??..as much as meat side down..??..

but.....in writing that will there not be a puddle of jucies in the curve of the meat side down ribs..??.. and.....how does this affect the texture of the meat,
would it not make it sorta mushy..??..or, is that the reason you whack 'em back in for that last hour or so..??..

so.....which method do you crutch devotees prefer.,??..

kevin
....up in smoke.....that's where my money goes.....
Davo
Forum Administrator

Re: 3 2 1 question.

Post by Davo »

Kev, i've always believed that foiling for 2 hrs is too long, the rib meat becomes mushy with no texture....you can do the same with boiling them which brings me to your main question.....i think it't be like steaming them with the remaing moisture rendered or otherwise.

I'd strongly suggest the WSM with full pan and crutch only for 1 hour if at all then the remaing time unwrapped....when u lift at one end and the meat is splitting near the bone underneath....they are ready to take off and devour.

Cheers

Davo
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5
Commander Cody

Post by Commander Cody »

but what if i decide to use GORDY..??..

Davo it appears you too.......do not like the crutch.

i just wanna try it to see how right i am......about how wrong the crutch is.

kevin
Gumb

Post by Gumb »

The crutch isn't right or wrong Kev, it's just a different method.
Bentley

Post by Bentley »

Bone down (the side the membrane is on) once in Crutch...I agree that 2 hours is to much, so my suggestions would be to gingerly open foil at 90 minutes and see what you think. I will add a caveat that I cook my Spares at 275°F for those 3 hours so they render the fat better ergo they are further along in the cooking process then a lower pit temperature!

I guess you are going Parkay, Tiger sauce, brown sugar, honey...all that rubbish...it all gets in there believe me, and it can be poured off, fat separated and made into a Masterful basting sauce to finish the ribs off in the smoke for the last hour!

Good luck Buddy! I just love the Crutch!
Last edited by Bentley on Sun Mar 29, 2015 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Burnt By The Best
Competition BBQ Team

Fresno State University
Go Dogs!

Commander Cody

Post by Commander Cody »

Bentley,

yeah that's where i am going with this, except..............using butter instead of that parkay and the tiger sauce ( will use sweat chili instead ), i don' think we get it here.

and i never use margerine. i am thinking that after i do your 275f for 3 hours, when i foil i will knock it back to 225f for about 90 minutes, then up to one hour back in.

i have got 5 bloody big beutiful racks to do, so i am thinking..............YES.............the mighty T machine. it has the real estate to take these beauties.

and thanks for the crown down call......... :D

i have used my home made rub, and instead of musturd, i have used chili oil, so, i am thinking..............there is enough heat there to counter the "candy"..??..

thanks again Bentley

kevin
Commander Cody

Post by Commander Cody »

actually.....................

i just had a brain fart...............i have some pork dripping i could use along with the butter.

man................this is making me wish i took this trip earlier.

reading soo goooood.

got some photos, of the brine. and the rubbing on.

kevin
Bentley

Post by Bentley »

We use Parkay cuz the butter burns...but at 225° maybe no issues. I have never even tasted Tiger Sauce...I would be in the Sweet Chili camp!
Burnt By The Best
Competition BBQ Team

Fresno State University
Go Dogs!

urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

Agreed Bentley, No Butter. I'd use Ghee instead, it has a smoke point of 252°C (485°F).

Chris
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!
Commander Cody

Post by Commander Cody »

would the pork drippings sort of help get the burn point of the butter up to a good level..??..

and i am 225f ing them, and i believe the burn temp for butter is a little higher than that..??..

or may be i just use the dripping and grape seed oil instead of butter...............

because margerine is a sort of really proccessed vege oil product. yeah..??..

kevin
Smokey

Post by Smokey »

I just use Apple juice Kevin.
If I'm using a large bbq I put em all in a large baking tray and just foil the top.
Agree with the 3-1-1 at 275f
If trees screamed when we cut them down, We wouldn't. If they screamed all the time we would.
http://www.aussiecue.com.au
Commander Cody

Post by Commander Cody »

OK then...............

3..1..1..@275f

Mick, i am doing the apple juice, brown sugar, honey, sweet chili and pork drippings or what ever i use on that
...............to have a crack @ the Johnny Trigg method on ribs.

also, i went a little bit over on the chili..............."needs more chili", maybe i should have just cut up the scorpion butch T. ( only have the one ready @ present )
so want try it, and soooo scared of it, after what i read from you blokes on it. tried some of their ghost sauce........interestingly delightful hit oh heat.
but don't try it straight after you have had a ring stinger........i downed my beer double quick time i tells ya.

so the sugar hit hopefully will balance the heat.................hopefully..........still but........have heaps of James on hand.

kevin
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

The smoke point of butter is 121–149°C (250–300°F).
Not sure about pig fat? But adding olive oil works to butter works.

Chris
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!
Bentley

Post by Bentley »

Pig fat will work...Not sure an hour in the crutch will be enough...but another caveat...I would prefer a softer rib then a firmer one!
Burnt By The Best
Competition BBQ Team

Fresno State University
Go Dogs!

Bentley

Post by Bentley »

Well...is it a yea or nay...
Burnt By The Best
Competition BBQ Team

Fresno State University
Go Dogs!