Beer Can Chicken is a Myth?

CHICKEN, DUCK, PIDGEON, QUAIL, TURKEY ETC
food&fish

Re: Beer Can Chicken is a Myth?

Post by food&fish »

Bentley wrote:I always thought the contents of the can did not really matter, it was just more of a vessel to hold the chicken upright. It exposes the bird to a more even application of heat, allows fats to run off better.

But the only real good chicken is a deep fried one anyway!
I love fried chicken
Questian after frying how do you clean and store your oil
I tried once and got badly burnt [ yea I know don't add water to hot oil :oops: ]
Bentley

Post by Bentley »

Will usually cook 2 or 3 raw cut potato's (French Fry's) right after I am done to get some of the flavor out of oil, let cool, strain through cheese cloth and store in fridge!

Beer can what? :twisted:

Burnt By The Best
Competition BBQ Team

Fresno State University
Go Dogs!

Muppet

Post by Muppet »

Bentley if your willing to share a version of your fried chicken recipe I'd greatly appreciate it! That looks grouse :D
I used to do beer can chicken a lot with some herbs added and always had good results although I haven't done one since I got busy learning here. It might be worth a test against the brined stuff I have been doing :mrgreen: brined is very good though.
Baby steps...
Current Weaponry - Saffire Kamado, Treager Junior, Outdoorchef 57, Performer 46, 'Fooseball' Grill, Hibachi
Bentley

Post by Bentley »

Partner, I wish I could make fried chicken like that, it was just a good looking shot I had on my Photobucket account. I think you have to have a Deep Fat Fryer to do it right and I have never owned one, I have always had to use cast iron skillet and to me, I just cant make it work...that and I can never duplicate the batter of the ones I like. Like that picture, I have no idea how you make it come out like that, it does look wonderful doesn't it! That is why I am always on the quest for Great Fried Chicken...Wish I could be more help, but I am a wanna be when it come to it!

And yes, I think KFC is some of the best fried chicken I have ever had...at least here in the States...but now you are talking 80 year old recipe and not only deep fat frying, but pressure too!
Burnt By The Best
Competition BBQ Team

Fresno State University
Go Dogs!

wedwards

Post by wedwards »

You get fried chicken like that by using a mix of crushed corn flakes and flour (as well as herbs and spices etc), and then doing anywhere from 4 - 6 dunkings of the chicken in egg and then the flour and cornflake mix (it gets really thick which creates the nice hard outer crust when fried). Then definately fry in deep fryer - you cant get it that crispy (well not to stay that crispy anyway) in a pan. Ive also heard people say to put a small amount of buttermilk in with your eggs as well, but Ive never done that.

Im now gluten free (not by choice), so I dont make fried chicken like that much anymore except for my kids occasionally. I
overspiceddave

Post by overspiceddave »

This is kinda hijacking the thread sorry

I dont have pics and havent done them for a while but this comes out pretty well for fried chicken

Make a marinade of 4 cups buttermilk (If you don’t have buttermilk use normal milk and add 2 tablespoons of lemon juice and two of white vinegarand leave it for about ten mins), a tablespoon of tabasco, a tablespoon of Worcester, a tablespoon of black pepper.
Cut a chicken up into small pieces stick it in a ziplock bag covered in the marinade and leave it in the fridge overnight.
The next morning make up three cups of Wholemeal flour, a big handful of crushed up cornflakes, tablespoon of paprika, teaspoon of onion powder, teaspoon of garlic powder, ½ teaspoon grated ginger, teaspoon cayenne, heaped tablespoon brown sugar, teaspoon salt.
Tip the chicken in a bowl with the marinade. Take each piece of chicken individually and drain the marinade off then roll it in the flour mix. When you've finished all the bits do them again in the marinade and flour then put them in the fridge for a couple of hours. Then do the marinade/flour one last time and put them back in the fridge for an hour.
I then use a wok to quickly cook them a couple of pieces at a time. As the wok is pretty hot I don’t leave them in too long so some of the breast pieces may not get cooked through. I stick them on a cake rack in a pan and put them in the oven at 200C for fifteen to twenty minutes

Dave
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

Anyone got a recipe for this?

Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!
Nath

Beer Can Chicken is a Myth?

Post by Nath »

Hmm slide a couple of lemon halves under the skin :D well played

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nath
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

Yes....Lemon Breasted Chicken! :D

http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot ... icken.html

Chris
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!
Bear

Post by Bear »

That chick is hot...
Charcoal: 22.5" Weber OTP 2000 | Wood Oven: Al Forno Piemonte R8 | Portable: Weber GA 2006
Gasser: NG WeberQ 320 | Rotisserie: Gaganis custom dual spit | Smoker: 18.5" WSM 2004
beachbums

Post by beachbums »

That got a really good laugh out of me :lol: :lol: :lol: