which type of welder?

on the job next week i need to weld some structural steel posts

looks to be 60mm round 4mm to 10mm base plates

https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rct= ... 9000,d.dGY

https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rct= ... SkjQaPh6GQ

thanks in advance
golly
Team Go To Jail - Lifetime member!

TEAM WKC 1st chicken 4th beef 7th pork ribs 5th overall port macquarie march 2014
titch

Re: stick or mig

Post by titch »

Whats your welding Like?
I have a small inverter stick welder and my neighbour who has not welded, picked it up easy.
I prefer migs with gas ,mine is 15 amp (250) and probably overkill unless you weld a lot.
Lincoln Electric has a good name
Cheers
Titch
Golly

Post by Golly »

my only previous welding is with the stick

mig is new

TEAM WKC 1st chicken 4th beef 7th pork ribs 5th overall port macquarie march 2014
titch

Post by titch »

Golly wrote:my only previous welding is with the stick

mig is new
If you can weld with Stick you will find Mig easy, Once you get the hang of it.specially if you go Gas.
They would be the most forgiving welder you can get.
The Gas shield makes them awesome, the gasless is So So in my opinion
Cheers
Titch
Golly

Post by Golly »

thanks titch

so which welder should i use?

Smokey

Post by Smokey »

I have a little inverter that is Awsome for onsite jobs. It's the size of a women's hand bag and goes all day.
I also have a SIP migmate that I used in the Worksop to manufacture heavy barred doors for Dept of housing buildings in Redfern. Mig is better as suggested but requires gas and is heavy.

If I'm only welding T sections Id get a good quality inverter. They are not like the old Big W CIG jobbies that are heavy and suffer chronic wand stick. They amp up when you strike. A good auto shield is also a good investment .

The SIP migmate 150N is for sale BTW, I've no use for it anymore.
If trees screamed when we cut them down, We wouldn't. If they screamed all the time we would.
http://www.aussiecue.com.au
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

I've got a baby MIG, I use it without gas and it's good. The Helmet with auto darkening glass is a godsend!!!

Chris
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!
titch

Post by titch »

I believe if Portability is not an Issue, I would prefer the Mig with Gas.
Mind you that Mig looks reasonably Portable
Cheers
Titch
Mixin

Post by Mixin »

If you're doing structural, and trying to get a decent penetration into 4mm & 10mm sections, then you need a lot of grunt.
A household/handyman MIG won't be up to the task, nor will anything single phase.

For that sort of work you're best off with a decent stick welder - for the money you'll get a better bite.

But if you want an all-round welder, you cannot go past a MIG. It will do sheet-metal a whole lot easier, without blowing holes like a stick, so you can cover a wider range of future jobs.

I have a 15A single phase MIG I bought 2nd hand some 25 years ago. It's an old CIGweld job that weighs a tonne, and takes the large bottles you have to rent (but I have adapted it for the disposables). It's great for doing panel work on cars, and I made my first roti ring with it, but it struggles to penetrate enough when doing something heavy (like a gearbox cross-member from 4mm angle.

+1 for the SIP 150N - they are a great unit, and one of the easiest to learn for a beginner, while still having all the needs/wants for an experienced welder.
I "upgraded" to it about 15 years ago, and it's much more forgiving than they old CIG. Sadly mine was destroyed when it was on loan to a mate, who didn't think about where his welding sparks were landing, and promptly burnt down half his garage when rags in the rubbish bin caught fire - rags that had been used merely 10 minutes earlier to wipe up spilled paint, and were soaked with paint, and some with thinners, so it went up real quick.
Weber Kettle Fanatic....
Main go-to: Blue 57cm OTG
Fire restriction option: Black 57cm M/T butchered with a Weber gas conversion.
GMG DC for the lazy smoky cooks.
Weeknight special: Q200
Problem? What problem?
beaver

Post by beaver »

ok, here is my 2c

Stick - cheap entry cost and quite versatile (lots of different sticks you can buy to weld different metals or even one type of metal to another)
Mig Gasless - Cheap entry cost mig but higher running cost due to flux core required to make a mini atmosphere for welding. the Gasless mig is required in some cases for outdoor use as Gas Mig has issues in windy areas (outside). the slag can be a pain though and you will need to wirebrush a lot to re-start a weld. not able to use small wire for thin metal (such as 44gal drum)
Mig Gas - Very clean welds with no slag or spatter.Wire is less expensive.Wire size down to 0.023: (0.6mm), great for thin metal.
Tig - Very Pretty welds but takes a lot of practice and hands/eye/foot dexterity

I have a cheapie gasless mig at home and i get by but would suggest a Gas Mig if you plan on doing a professional job
Golly

Post by Golly »

thanks everyone for their 2c worth

i have both welders that i linked in my first post

with the mig being still in the box unopened i jjt grabbed the stick and started with that today

seemed to do a fair job

got some nice looking welds but also the birds where about and i got a bit of birds shit too!

ill take some pics tomoz

beaver

Post by beaver »

Of the birds shit?
Golly

Re:

Post by Golly »

beaver wrote:Of the birds shit?

splatter

titch

Post by titch »

Anti spatter works well, Keep your sticks dry,
They can be dried out in a preheated oven door open.
Especially if they have been hanging around for a while or your in a Humid enviroment
Cheers
Titch