meat for tacos

Post your recipe requests and cooking questions in this setion. Not for general discussions.
beginner

meat for tacos

Post by beginner »

Hey guys, our last cook was a great success with everything going to plan. My next challenge will be NYE and have this time decided on semi-DIY tacos, these will be delicious because I'm going cook the meat and allow everyone to fill as they please. Problem is I'm having trouble deciding what to cook.

Thus far I have decided on smoked pulled pork and pulled brisket, these are tasty and I find them convenient for making the required sized batches. I'm looking for 2 or 3 more meats that would suit a taco. I may finish cooking some / all the meat the night before and serve warm / cold, may have something fresh going on the day, some fish maybe, this is all TBD.

Equipment at my disposal - 1 x WSM, 1 x mini WSM, 3 x weber kettle, 2 x oven, 1 gasser hotplate.

Also any ideas for the veggies would help too

Thanks for your suggestions!!
Smokey

Re: meat for tacos

Post by Smokey »

marinated and grilled Skirt steak, sliced fine against the grain goes down well with taco.
I also use it in Phily cheese steak rolls where I fine slice it raw then sear it on a hot plate with seasonings.
That also makes for great tex mex
If trees screamed when we cut them down, We wouldn't. If they screamed all the time we would.
http://www.aussiecue.com.au
Groovy Gorilla

Post by Groovy Gorilla »

Sort out your Pico De Gallo and you Guacamole
Keep it fresh so make it as late as possible
Pickle the garlic and onion in lime juice before had to remove the burning raw taste.
When I was in Mexico besides the usual tacos there was lots of barbecued corn and fish tacos and barbequed cactus leaves
and plenty of beer
chilling while grilling
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

Shredded slow cooked beef rib! Can't beat it for taco!

Chris
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!
titch

Post by titch »

Chicken thigh
Cheers
Titch
Nath

meat for tacos

Post by Nath »

For fish tacos, I usually use flathead fillets, a light coat in very thin beer batter then Panko crumb and fry. Soo good! I always use leftover pulled beef and pork works great/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nath
Bear

Post by Bear »

Beef cheeks are the best for tacos. Slow cook them & shred: Ultimate!

To get some ideas on how to cook them, search for urbangriller's "Twice cooked beef cheeks" recipe. Maybe substitute some Mexican ingredients in the rub.
Charcoal: 22.5" Weber OTP 2000 | Wood Oven: Al Forno Piemonte R8 | Portable: Weber GA 2006
Gasser: NG WeberQ 320 | Rotisserie: Gaganis custom dual spit | Smoker: 18.5" WSM 2004
Bentley

Post by Bentley »

Or Flank, just cant be beat! And you have not had a taco, till you have had a deep fried fish taco w/cabbage and Lime/Aioli mayo dressing! Cod, or Pollock work very well!
Smokey wrote:marinated and grilled Skirt steak, sliced fine against the grain goes down well with taco.
Burnt By The Best
Competition BBQ Team

Fresno State University
Go Dogs!

Flippo

Post by Flippo »

I'd use chuck for the pulled beef. Better than brisket in my opinion
beginner

Post by beginner »

awesome guys, this thread is delicious. will do a little research and hopefully run a couple of tests. For today though, easy pork belly rolls from the Q, will try snap a few pics.
Card Shark

Post by Card Shark »

Flippo wrote:I'd use chuck for the pulled beef. Better than brisket in my opinion
+1, tacos or chilli, cheap and perfect for left over chucky.
Smokey

Post by Smokey »

Interesting, It's obvious that it's peasant meat that is used. There is also a distinct difference in flavour profile between slow cooked meat and grilled shaved meat. And then there is plain old topside mince.
Considering the small amount of meat used in a taco, All of the above have the flavour to pull it off
If trees screamed when we cut them down, We wouldn't. If they screamed all the time we would.
Card Shark

Post by Card Shark »

"Peasant" meat Sir smoke a lot :wink:
Smokey

Post by Smokey »

Card Shark wrote:"Peasant" meat Sir smoke a lot :wink:
Your excused
:lol:
beginner

Post by beginner »

Card Shark wrote:
Flippo wrote:I'd use chuck for the pulled beef. Better than brisket in my opinion
+1, tacos or chilli, cheap and perfect for left over chucky.
use supermarket slivers in my winter stew, how big can a piece get?