Forum etiquette

Any general items, polls
pierre

Forum etiquette

Post by pierre »

I am fairly new to the forum, everyone is very nice and I wanted to ask the more expert members of it, if it happens to read something very inaccurate in some posts, particularly about italian food, can I point out the mistake or it will be considerate rude? An example, if someone suggests sprinkling grated cheese on marinara spaghetti should I point out it's an abomination or just say nothing and bite the bullet? :?:
Gumb

Re: Forum etiquette

Post by Gumb »

You can have a different opinion and post that as long as you respect the opinions of others and accept that they may be different to your own.
Narmnaleg

Post by Narmnaleg »

:D
Live and let live Pierre. Point it out whilst respecting other views and all will be fine ;)
beaver

Post by beaver »

If someone passes something across as fact instead of an opinion you can/should respectfully point out a mistake and provide evidence of reply with your opinion. Write reply in a way that dispute the statement instead of the poster.
yakabot

Post by yakabot »

With your "abomination" example, that would be your opinion, based on your likes/preferences. It would not be a fact at all. The chemical compounds needed to make something would be fact, because if you change/add a chemical, it's then different. Adding cheese to something based on preference may be something you can debate/suggest, but as long as everyone respects people's taste choices, that's fine.

You're not gonna like what I put tomato sauce on. But basically, if I use a fork to eat it, it gets sauce.
food&fish

Post by food&fish »

Oh tomato sauce on porridge yum :oops:
beaver

Post by beaver »

Well you could debate the fact that "traditionaly the dish is not served with X and xxx is the reason why" which would respect the person's preference but also give the forum valuable information with reasoning behind it
2browndogs

Post by 2browndogs »

go nuts - it's a forum, for sharing ideas and opinions. Just don't abuse anyone, and we can let the moderators retire to their BBQ :lol:
yakabot

Post by yakabot »

food&fish wrote:Oh tomato sauce on porridge yum :oops:
I don't eat porridge, but wouldn't that be eaten with a spoon?
Smokey

Post by Smokey »

Human Nature, It's a funny thing.
The OP or "wrong doer" probably would take offence.
Many times I've just let it go.
However, If I feel I can tastefully add to the Opps experiance, then all good.
Saying YOUR WRONG, regardless of whatever science you have to back up just makes one look the fool.
better to say, "That's great! I do it like this"
Taste over rides ingredients every time, Nobody is wrong if they enjoy what they make for themselves.
If trees screamed when we cut them down, We wouldn't. If they screamed all the time we would.
http://www.aussiecue.com.au
Smokey

Post by Smokey »

And further, I'm part of a group of Italians from all parts that make pork products big time twice a year, The arguments on butchering day are funny as , North, South,,, sheesh, Your cheese comment would go for hours
If trees screamed when we cut them down, We wouldn't. If they screamed all the time we would.
http://www.aussiecue.com.au
pierre

Post by pierre »

I have learnt the aussie way it's 'if you like it, eat it'
Dave

Post by Dave »

Smokey wrote:Human Nature, It's a funny thing.
The OP or "wrong doer" probably would take offence.
Many times I've just let it go.
However, If I feel I can tastefully add to the Opps experiance, then all good.
Saying YOUR WRONG, regardless of whatever science you have to back up just makes one look the fool.
better to say, "That's great! I do it like this"
Taste over rides ingredients every time, Nobody is wrong if they enjoy what they make for themselves.
Interesting words of wisdom for sure.
KCBS Certified BBQ Judge
Importing Louisiana Pellet Grills into Australia
http://www.louisiana-grills-australia.com.au/
Team Go To Jail - Lifetime member!
Mickvr

Post by Mickvr »

I remember years ago doing 2 trays of lasagne, in one of the trays I decided too add sultana's to the mix for a sweet burst, one of my co workers was an Italian woman, and she tore strips of me for adulterating an institution, funny thing is, she made her lasagne which included fresh vegetables, I don't remember that from any (old school) recipe I ever found.
When I pointed that out to her she went MUM on me.
I adopted her veg thing in my lasagne mixes, meant that I got veg in a complete precooked meal I could take to work. Almost a balanced diet, unless you add beer to the mix...LOL
I guess it all comes down to Taste's and dietary preferences.
Would I accept a chicken lasagne (Non Traditional) with a tofu replacement for the chook meat ? Frag NO!!!!!
Is it wrong ? In my opinion, not really, depends on the tastes, needs and intent of the cook. I'm sure the Vego's out there love it, just not my cup of tea.
P.S The sultana's were a definate win !!!! (In my opinion) ahem
Narmnaleg

Post by Narmnaleg »

In my opinion Pierre the reason is that conventions and traditions must always be challenged so that they can be improved on (and new traditions started). Using a dogmatic approach to food leads to no change and no improvement, no expansion of palate experiences.

There's no harm in saying "the traditional recipe is different in this and that way", or "I don't like that dish with X, Y or Z in it", yet that shouldn't mean we don't experiment or deviate from the original and expand our repertoire. For example some Italians I know take issue with sweet meat dishes. They view meat as a savoury dish and sweet should strictly be left for dessert, so when they are presented with a sweet meat dish all hell breaks loose. My interpretation of their reaction is that they are limiting themselves to enjoying something that may actually taste nice simply because someone else decided for them that that's the way it should be. I'd much rather make up my own mind. If I like it why should I refuse it simply to comply with someone elses point of view?
Another example is having an afternoon or evening cappuccino, which is something Italians pride themselves of frowning upon (or having a giggle over) without a reason at all. With all due respect I label that "small town mentality".

One area where I prefer to be accurate is in naming dishes for what they really are (and perhaps that's the main issue for you too Pierre?). So for example if a carbonara has cream in it then at best it should be called a "carbonara with cream" so as not to be confused with the real deal.