Is this a Natural Gas Connection ?

GASSERS, LPG OR NATURAL
daazzaa

Post by daazzaa »

Hi Guys and Gals,

Its time to ditch the old 4 burner BBQ and get a Weber!. Quite sure it will be the Family Q 3200, as we want to cook pizza, roasts, you name it. We believe we have a natural gas connection ran to the area where the BBQ will be (we bought the house off someone that built it), but until now never really looked at it as just used the old 4 burner LPG BBQ. Attached is a pic of the connection coming out of the brickwork, can someone confirm it is a Natural Gas connection? Im assuming Natural would be cheaper to run then continually get refills. Considering it is only $30 more for the natural gas one, seems like a done deal.
food&fish

Re: Is this a Natural Gas Connection ?

Post by food&fish »

Could be also it may be water
daazzaa

Post by daazzaa »

food&fish wrote:Could be also it may be water
What would be the best way to find out? Take the cap off and get hit with water or gas?? :)
food&fish

Post by food&fish »

Turn off water and gas at mains take cap off you will soon know
titch

Post by titch »

daazzaa wrote:Hi Guys and Gals,

Its time to ditch the old 4 burner BBQ and get a Weber!. Quite sure it will be the Family Q 3200, as we want to cook pizza, roasts, you name it. We believe we have a natural gas connection ran to the area where the BBQ will be (we bought the house off someone that built it), but until now never really looked at it as just used the old 4 burner LPG BBQ. Attached is a pic of the connection coming out of the brickwork, can someone confirm it is a Natural Gas connection? Im assuming Natural would be cheaper to run then continually get refills. Considering it is only $30 more for the natural gas one, seems like a done deal.
Tap it with a metal spanner or something while someone puts their ear on a tap close by, .
if its water it will carry the sound.
Using a screwdriver to connect ear to tap works well.
Cheers
Titch
Groovy Gorilla

Post by Groovy Gorilla »

Dont put a blow torch or and angle grinder to it just in case it is gas or water :mrgreen:
chilling while grilling
Gumb

Post by Gumb »

Looks like water pipe to me.
mymonaro

Post by mymonaro »

I am not a gas fitter or plumber, but I doubt if a gas pipe would be terminated with plumber's tape around the thread.

Turn off the gas main. Turn off the water main. Take the end cap off the pipe. If it is a water pipe the inside bore will be damp with water.
Bear

Post by Bear »

mymonaro wrote:I am not a gas fitter or plumber, but I doubt if a gas pipe would be terminated with plumber's tape around the thread.

Turn off the gas main. Turn off the water main. Take the end cap off the pipe. If it is a water pipe the inside bore will be damp with water.
Agreed on the tape, plumbers tape is usually white (meaning it's likely water) whereas gas tape is usually yellow.
Charcoal: 22.5" Weber OTP 2000 | Wood Oven: Al Forno Piemonte R8 | Portable: Weber GA 2006
Gasser: NG WeberQ 320 | Rotisserie: Gaganis custom dual spit | Smoker: 18.5" WSM 2004
Narmnaleg

Post by Narmnaleg »

I wouldn't take the cap off. It looks like water to me. See if you can find where the pipe goes.
daazzaa

Post by daazzaa »

Thanks for all the comments guys and gals. It is hard to trace where it goes as all I can see is what is in the picture, past that is brick and house.
Does sound more like water as you guys mention. Will turn the water off first and check the inside bore if damp or not. Otherwise will turn off gas (is this easy to do, never turned the gas off LOL).
Nath

Post by Nath »

Turn off both first just encase before you take the cap off:
Pretty sure that'd be water though.
To turn the gas off, find your gas meter box there will be a small valve, either a small handle with "open/close" or a thumb turn type valve.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nath
daazzaa

Post by daazzaa »

Nath wrote:Turn off both first just encase before you take the cap off:
To turn the gas off, find your gas meter box there will be a small valve, either a small handle with "open/close" or a thumb turn type valve.

Thanks heaps Nath, you thinking about it ... it does make more sense to turn both services off! Otherwise I might be blown into next week.
mymonaro

Post by mymonaro »

daazzaa wrote:
Nath wrote:Turn off both first just encase before you take the cap off:

Thanks heaps Nath, you thinking about it ... it does make more sense to turn both services off! Otherwise I might be blown into next week.
Yes, as I mentioned in my earlier post.