Sear & Slow Temps you use?

Post your recipe requests and cooking questions in this setion. Not for general discussions.
Tasmaniac65

Post by Tasmaniac65 »

Cooking for my family on the Family Q I have ended up trying different methods but have found a high temp sear usually on the grill then onto a rack indirect at a lower temp until the desired internal temperature is reached has become the favoured method by my family for many cuts such as Pork Fillet, steak including thick cut Rump, Fillet, Rib Eye on Bone, Tomohawk, Wagyu Topside and Lamb Racks as well as Pork sirloin steaks etc.
My query is for those that use this method what is your preferred indirect temperature for the slower part of the cook?
For me Steaks 120-130c
Pork Fillet or Loin Roll 140c
Lamb Racks 130-140c
Cheers
Coop
Muppet

Re: Sear & Slow Temps you use?

Post by Muppet »

I've recently switched to reverse sear since joining this place. Slowly till just under temp then hot sear over the charcoal. You need thermometers for this but its improved my results dramatically.
Baby steps...
Current Weaponry - Saffire Kamado, Treager Junior, Outdoorchef 57, Performer 46, 'Fooseball' Grill, Hibachi
Nath

Post by Nath »

Muppet wrote:I've recently switched to reverse sear since joining this place. Slowly till just under temp then hot sear over the charcoal. You need thermometers for this but its improved my results dramatically.
+1 try the reverse sear!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nath
Tasmaniac65

Post by Tasmaniac65 »

thanks for the replies guys I have played many times with both methods and I seem to get better results (says my resident food tasters) searing first but I have seen many times on TV seared items placed in an oven at 180 or even up to 220c for the cook through.
I am not sure of the effects of these different temps cuase if you are reverse cooking you would probably cook at fairly low :?
Grill Pro Australia

Post by Grill Pro Australia »

I do reverse sear allot, especially when I have big fat Rib Eyes. Because I Cook on a Pellet Grill I start at around 200F to gain a little smoke flavour, then dial up to 350F until the centre is "Bleu" and then increase to 490F to sear / finish.

I struggle to get steak this good eating out!

Cheers, Dave
Grill Pro Australia
Importing Yoder Smokers, BBQr's Delight Pellets, Hammer Stahl Knives and American Rubs & Sauces into Australia
https://www.yodersmokers.net.au/
https://bbqrsdelight.net.au//
Instagram: @GRILL_PRO
Smokey

Post by Smokey »

Reverse sear is my preferred way for big thick steaks like Daves above.
My temp method is 65c ( 150F) till about 5 c below my preferred doneness , Remove them and then turn up 260c (500f) and flash sear. No need to rest after that though the general time it takes to plate up is more than enough time.

However this method is a wast of time with general super market steak at 1 inch or less.
In that case I flash sear at 260c and then rest just barely tented to continue cooking to the target temp. If they are 1 inch and not less, I might put them in a oven to keep warm.

Saying that, It's never as good as the same steak cut two inches thik and reverse seared.
Because of this I generaly don't eat as much steak Nowdays because I don't buy thin steaks.
I'd rather buy a whole rib eye or rump and cut my own and I can only afford so much of that.
As Dave said it hard to find the same going out and once you nail beaut steak, It's hard to go back as everything else is a let down.
Think of reverse sear as the sous vide of bbq and very well explained by Urban Griller with his Route 66 method.
If trees screamed when we cut them down, We wouldn't. If they screamed all the time we would.
http://www.aussiecue.com.au
TMAN

Post by TMAN »

This guy tested both methods have a look.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=104sWyAS4vY
Gumb

Post by Gumb »

The minute the video got to the fry pan with oil in it and he called that searing, he lost me. I didn't go any further.
Narmnaleg

Post by Narmnaleg »

Gumb wrote:The minute the video got to the fry pan with oil in it and he called that searing, he lost me. I didn't go any further.
:) I almost did, but persevered. His conclusion was that the reverse sear was much better.
2browndogs

Post by 2browndogs »

Ive found that reverse sear needs more attention to int temp - ie you need to pull it off well before you think its ready - 5 degs and i reckon a bit more, as it keeps heating up. Sear first is easier - sear last is better if you have the concentration.
Gumb

Post by Gumb »

I'd agree with that. If you are monitoring the internal temp, searing fist is easy because when it hits temp, you take it out. The other way around, you hit temp and then cook some more.
Gumb

Post by Gumb »

Narmnaleg wrote:
Gumb wrote:The minute the video got to the fry pan with oil in it and he called that searing, he lost me. I didn't go any further.
:) I almost did, but persevered. His conclusion was that the reverse sear was much better.
I tried again. Got to the point where he took a nice bit of meat out of the fry pan and couldn't watch any more. It's like a horror movie. :shock:
Smokey

Post by Smokey »

2browndogs wrote:Ive found that reverse sear needs more attention to int temp - ie you need to pull it off well before you think its ready - 5 degs and i reckon a bit more, as it keeps heating up. Sear first is easier - sear last is better if you have the concentration.
Yep Id agree with that, And that's the art of it.
If trees screamed when we cut them down, We wouldn't. If they screamed all the time we would.
Tasmaniac65

Post by Tasmaniac65 »

Thanks again for replies good conversation looks like I might have to go back to Reverse for a while and revisit what I used to do, it certainly is easier to go slow first on gas and then hot last.
On another slightly off topic we are working our way through a "The Chairmans" Rump from Meat Emporium and I can tell you it don't matter which technique I use it is flavourless and not tender. Every other Rump in the past 2 years usually AAA Angus has been sensational.
Cheers
Coop
Smokey

Post by Smokey »

That's a bugger to get through,,, been there :D
part of my recient tests was tough meat and I found they almost became great the longer I held them low.
Of course I can only speak for myself.
I also use the salt sprinkle brine which also helps in opening up the grain.