Pulled Pork for beginners, by a beginner.

All Meats Including BEEF, PORK, LAMB & GAME
Gumb

Re: Pulled Pork for beginners, by a beginner.

Post by Gumb »

It's better to finish early. It can sit in an esky double wrapped in foil with towels taking up the extra internal spcace for several hours. In fact it's good for it. Have it in the esky when they arrive and when it's time to eat display your culinary prize :D
Muppet

Post by Muppet »

Thanks for the write up wallyyz, We followed this thread and had a successful first attempt! Kudos for putting in so much effort and detail :wink:
Baby steps...
Current Weaponry - Saffire Kamado, Treager Junior, Outdoorchef 57, Performer 46, 'Fooseball' Grill, Hibachi
kongman

Post by kongman »

my wife doesnt like spicey (ya i know it sucks) ...so could you delete the chilli

p.s on second thought , the whole thing is spicey ..lol , ill skip it
beginner

Post by beginner »

kimcam wrote:Wallyyz,

Thanks for a great write up - a step by step guide like that helps take a bit of the fear factor out!

I'm having a 'few' people around in a couple of weeks and have decided to have a crack at a pulled pork in the weber using the snake method as well, and I think I will just follow your guidelines. The only concern I have is with the timing - I see it is quite common for people to start cooking the night before, but yours started at 0730 and was done by 1700. Is this because you used 2 smaller pieces?

I don't want the pork to be finished too early, but I also don't want to waiting for it to finish with everyone standing around......

I guess I will wait and see what size the piece(s) of pork I get are, and make a call based on that.

Cam

Ah just the thread I was looking for, thanks for writing it up for me :lol: - I'm in a similar situation, looking to get a couple of 3 - 4kg shoulders done on a WSM 18.5 in a 12ish hour timeframe. Can anyone recommend a temp thatll get me close? Or am I being too ambitious?
gindemon

Post by gindemon »

Nah mate not ambitious at all. Run your wsm at 250f. Wrap your shoulders in foil when they get to 160f or so. They should get there in about 5 hours. Maybe even a bit less. Pull them off the cooker at around 200f. That'll take another 3 hours after you wrap them. Keep them wrapped in an esky until you want to eat them!! Running the WSM hotter at 275 I used to do 6 hour bone in pork shoulders. It's easily doable in 12!!
"The Meat Sweats" Competitive BBQ Team
Port Macquarie 2014 - 1st
Bangalow 2014 - 1st
2014 Jack Daniels World Championship BBQ - 19th/94 overall, 1st/20 international teams
Melbourne 2015 - 3rd
Port Macquarie 2015 - 1st
beginner

Post by beginner »

gindemon wrote:Nah mate not ambitious at all. Run your wsm at 250f. Wrap your shoulders in foil when they get to 160f or so. They should get there in about 5 hours. Maybe even a bit less. Pull them off the cooker at around 200f. That'll take another 3 hours after you wrap them. Keep them wrapped in an esky until you want to eat them!! Running the WSM hotter at 275 I used to do 6 hour bone in pork shoulders. It's easily doable in 12!!
cool thanks, that'll give me a good buffer and make everything else that little bit easier!
Macca33

Post by Macca33 »

Going to have my first shot a pulled pork this Saturday.

Just bought a 2.5kg scotch, was $9 a kilo, is that a decent price?

Will let you know how it turns out, will post some pics here or in the "what did you ruin" thread :lol:
Hark Gas Smoker, Weber Kettle, Mini Spit, Cheap Gasser
StoneX

Post by StoneX »

Macca33 wrote:Going to have my first shot a pulled pork this Saturday.

Will let you know how it turns out, will post some pics here or in the "what did you ruin" thread :lol:
Better than the $13/kg my butcher charges me!
Nath

Pulled Pork for beginners, by a beginner.

Post by Nath »

Macca33 wrote:Going to have my first shot a pulled pork this Saturday.

Yep, $9 a kg is good. I see it at about $13 aswell. I usually buy bone in skin on for about $6kg
Nath
Macca33

Post by Macca33 »

So was planning on starting the 2.5kg pork neck at around midnight tonight but after reading some posts saying you shouldn't leave the gas hark unattended do you think this will be ready for dinner if I put it on at say 6:00am tomorrow?
WarmBeer

Post by WarmBeer »

Macca33 wrote:So was planning on starting the 2.5kg pork neck at around midnight tonight but after reading some posts saying you shouldn't leave the gas hark unattended do you think this will be ready for dinner if I put it on at say 6:00am tomorrow?
I reckon you'd need to run it around 130-140 deg C to cook 2.5 kg within 12 hours. Do-able, but might be a little dry on the outside.

Saying that, I do run my gas Hark overnight, and have found it both safe and stable. It's outside, but out of the wind, so doubtful it's ever going to blow itself out. If it ever did, I'd know about it before getting close, due to the external temperature gauge.

Happy to listen to, and consider, opinions about the risks I'm taking.
Dragon Kamado | Weber OTS | Hark (Aldi) Smoker | Rusty Gasser
Muppet

Post by Muppet »

I've been in a gas explosion... A big one, and just don't take that risk. If it happened to you, you would understand. A gas cloud is an immense ball of stored energy and you cant control sparks in a household.
Baby steps...
Current Weaponry - Saffire Kamado, Treager Junior, Outdoorchef 57, Performer 46, 'Fooseball' Grill, Hibachi
Macca33

Post by Macca33 »

Well after getting the kids breakfast and changing a couple of nappies I got the pork on at 7:00 and the hark is sitting at 130c.

Will see how it is going in a few hours.

What is the usual temp of the stall? Thinking I will wrap it then to speed things up.
Gumb

Post by Gumb »

It should stall at 70c. If you have time, leave it at that for a while before wrapping.
Macca33

Post by Macca33 »

Ok cool will do.

Meat is sitting at 55c now.