Garth's Small Goodies - Part 1: Pancetta and Lonza

SAUSAGES,CHARCUTERIE and DELI ARTS
GarthFader

Re: Garth's Small Goodies - Part 1: Pancetta and Lonza

Post by GarthFader »

Nath wrote:Cool! I have some pancetta and coppacola in my fridge almost ready to break open.
Done in misty gully bags.
What setup do you have for drying Nath? Are you lucky enough to have a proper cool-room?

I'm thinking of getting some cool-room panels and a drop-in unit when we finally buy a place with decent garage, set up two with two zones, one for drying and one for general storage (beer etc).
GarthFader

Post by GarthFader »

Quick update on the progress...

Initially with the saltwater pan only in the fridge my humidity was pretty bank on the range recommended by the book, but once I added the meat it went through the roof, so removed the salt water tray, this got it back down to about 80% which is ok.

Even with the humidity back down, there were no signs of it drying out, after a bit more reading I discovered if the humidity was above 80% it's recommended to circulate the air to prevent spoilage, so I dropped a little 15cm desktop fan in the fridge and pointed it away from the meat so it didn't dry it directly, and after a couple of days the external moisture on the pieces had disappeared and they finally started to darken.

After putting the fan in, I notices some nice chalky white mould appearing, according to the book, this is the good stuff. If it gets in and takes hold first, it's less likely that the bad mould, black, green, furry etc will get in and ruin your efforts.

Last night I checked in on them, to weigh the pieces and see how they were tracking (30% reduction in weight = Good to eat). When I checked them, some of the nice white mould patches had started to become a little furry.

I did some more reading about the moulds and treatment options... Apparently it's non uncommon, and easily treated, just by scraping off the suspect pieces of mould and rinsing the meat in some vinegar, so I did just that. Then lobbed them back in the fridge.

The Lonza was measuring just a shade above the target weight of 700g, so it should be good in the next week or so, the Pancetta is still a ways off, I think the thick skin slows the drying of this cut, but i'm patient.
gussigan

Post by gussigan »

looking good, Garth!

If I end up making it over to Melbourne to visit next year I'll have to try some! (presuming you're still alive :P )
GarthFader

Post by GarthFader »

I think i'm going to play it safe for the next attempt, use some Cure #2 and some misty gully charcuterie bags... I like the idea of the traditional methods, but if I end up cocking a heap of quality meat, i'd be pretty pissed at myself.
Last edited by GarthFader on Wed Nov 19, 2014 7:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nath

Post by Nath »

GarthFader wrote:I think i'm going to play it safe for the next attempt, use some Cure #2 and some misty gully charcuterie bags... I like the idea of the traditional methods, but if I end up fucking a heap of quality meat, i'd be pretty pissed at myself.
Might want to edit out that language bud. :)

The Charcuterie bags are OK. bit of a pain in the bum to seal, but my pancetta and coppa turned out well using them.

Took some to a picnic a few weeks ago with friends, they all loved it.
Nath
Nath

Post by Nath »

P.s. i had some mould on mine also, white, though much different looking, and not at all furry.
Hard to describe but I think mine was the good mould. You can also buy Bactoferm to create the good mould on the meat.
Nath
food&fish

Post by food&fish »

Why not get a uv light and put in the fridge
GarthFader

Post by GarthFader »

Nath wrote: Might want to edit out that language bud. :)

The Charcuterie bags are OK. bit of a pain in the bum to seal, but my pancetta and coppa turned out well using them.

Took some to a picnic a few weeks ago with friends, they all loved it.
Thanks Nath, I probably should have read the forum rules re: language.

Once you've opened and cut into the cured product, how do you keep it? Do you treat the cut end with anything?
GarthFader

Post by GarthFader »

food&fish wrote:Why not get a uv light and put in the fridge
Another mate of mine recommended this approach too, certainly can't hurt and it's an easy thing to add.

I think the main issue was a really high humidity in the early stages preventing the drying process from starting and keeping the outer surface quite moist, creating a perfect place for mould to take hold.
food&fish

Post by food&fish »

Nath

Post by Nath »

Garth, it took just over two month to dry to 35% weight loss. I then deli sliced it all and vac sealed into portions
Nath
Nath

Post by Nath »

And freezed
Nath
GarthFader

Post by GarthFader »

How long would you keep it vac-sealed in sliced portions unfrozen? And do you think the freezing/thawing affects the flavours?
Nath

Post by Nath »

If using cure 2 I think it would be ok for another few months if your prep is clean etc no germs.
First batch so never tried freezing it, though Smokey suggested it, I'm sure it wouldn't affect texture at all. If anything it will improve it.
Nath
Ciapek

Post by Ciapek »

@ GarthVader, when I make Pancetta or Prosciutto, after the salt or brine cure, I wrap the meat up tight and thick with either cotton or Muslin cloth and place it in the fridge with a brick/weight on it.
This will accelerate moisture removal from the meat, keeps the air off the meat, and prevents spoilage and moulds.
Pending on portion size, cloth will stay on for up to two weeks with a change of wrap once a week.
Then either cold smoke and dry exposed in the fridge or air dry.
Cheers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk