Cheap Offsets on Anaconda

Any general items, polls
beachbums

Post by beachbums »

HI, poking around and saw this on Anaconda online.

http://www.anaconda.com.au/Product/Camp ... smoker-bbq

This verstile smoker from Char-Broil can be used as a grill or smoker making the perfect outdoor cooking companion.

Features

Genuine offset smoker
Use as a grill or smoker
Variable smoke and heat damper

Price is $139 down form $199 probablly a bit "cheap" but might suit somebody?

Cheers, Wayne
Zorba

Re: Cheap Offsets on Anaconda

Post by Zorba »

see my post in the bunnings cheap offset thread.

they are tiny and the char griller one looks better made. will probably cost 130 more to get the chargriller one with the offset but to me it looks to be a lot better

see the size of the main grill area, thats my medicare card sitting on it:

specs of the char broil one here:

http://www.charbroil.com/smokers-fryers ... eries.html
beachbums

Post by beachbums »

Ta Zorba. I had no idea what they were like just thought it might interest someone.

Cheers, Wayne
bbqmad

Post by bbqmad »

For $140.......it is what it is by the looks of it....Ok!........durability.... :?: ..dont know

Anybody looking at this and can shout a few hundy more i would recommend the Hark....just mho :)

Glen
If we weren't supposed to eat animals then why do they taste so good
Weber Platinum
Weber Kettle 22.5"
Bar-b-chef Texas Smoker
Weber Genesis
Weber 18.5" Smokey Mountain
Zorba

Post by Zorba »

bbqmad wrote:For $140.......it is what it is by the looks of it....Ok!........durability.... :?: ..dont know

Anybody looking at this and can shout a few hundy more i would recommend the Hark....just mho :)

Glen
big jump from $139 to $599.
edgy

Post by edgy »

Honestly, I agree with bbqmad... keep an eye on eBay and you'll find used Hark's for that kind of money if your in the right place at the right time.
Yoder Smokers - Competition BBQ team

Team Go To Jail - Lifetime member! "Alcohol may be man's worst enemy, but the bible says love your enemy." Frank Sinatra
Jlz

Post by Jlz »

bbqmad wrote:For $140.......it is what it is by the looks of it....Ok!........durability.... :?: ..dont know

Glen
Do you mean something like this? http://www.hark.com.au/index.php?route= ... uct_id=108

I am interested in getting the one from anaconda, looks like a decent size for what I am looking for (entry level) :D
bbqmad

Post by bbqmad »

Zorba wrote:

Glen
big jump from $139 to $599.
Yes your right zorba but that's why i said if you could manage the extra i would recommend it, for those that dont want to or not in a position to do so for $140 the other one looks like.......well $140 of value!
edgy wrote:Honestly, I agree with bbqmad... keep an eye on eBay and you'll find used Hark's for that kind of money if your in the right place at the right time.
Spot on mate i found mine at a bargain, but would happily buy a new one in the future great value even at new price.
Jlz wrote:

Glen
Do you mean something like this? http://www.hark.com.au/index.php?route= ... uct_id=108

I am interested in getting the one from anaconda, looks like a decent size for what I am looking for (entry level) :D
That's the very one jlz i have an earlier version different name same beast new one has some more cool features, biggest difference between the two in :?: "pressed tin" and "real steel" any :?: :?: :?: jlz fire away :)

Glen
If we weren't supposed to eat animals then why do they taste so good
Weber Platinum
Weber Kettle 22.5"
Bar-b-chef Texas Smoker
Weber Genesis
Weber 18.5" Smokey Mountain
Zorba

Post by Zorba »

bbqmad wrote:
Yes your right zorba but that's why i said if you could manage the extra i would recommend it, for those that dont want to or not in a position to do so for $140 the other one looks like.......well $140 of value!
yeh but i wouldnt think that people looking at a $140 product would be able to look at a $600 product. but anyways, i too would get the hark if i had the cash, but like many i am limited but would definitely look at investing an extra $100 into a char griller one from bunnings over this one. just a better product from what ive read.

Char griller specs:

850 square inch total cooking area
580 square inch primary cooking area
270 square inch warming rack cooking area
Cast iron cooking grates for even heating
Large round legs for sturdy support
Easily add coals without removing the entire grate
Adjustable grate height for temperature control
Heat gauge
Easy cleanup with the easy dump ash pan
Keep your food warm with the warming rack
Side fire box for that Texas Smoke Flavor (sold seperately, gives extra cooking area)
Heavy steel construction provides years of durability
Powder coat finish for long lasting color
Heat diffuser

can be had for $268 from bunnings (including the side fire box)

vs char broil

Three-in-one smoker, barbeque and grill
Compact design fits on most patios
288 sq. in. porcelain wire cooking grates in main cooking chamber
132 sq. in. porcelain wire cooking grates in firebox
Cleanout door for easy ash removal and fire-tending
Smoke stack with adjustable damper
Cool-touch spring handles
Painted steel sideshelf
Temperature gauge
Two wheels for easy movement

the big differences i can see are the cooking area (288, vs 580) and the grates (porcelain wire vs cast iron)

plus ive seen both in the flesh and the char griller seems a much better built unit.
Jlz

Post by Jlz »

Zorba wrote:yeh but i wouldnt think that people looking at a $140 product would be able to look at a $600 product. but anyways, i too would get the hark if i had the cash, but like many i am limited but would definitely look at investing an extra $100 into a char griller one from bunnings over this one. just a better product from what ive read.
I would consider all possibilities! :D
incisor

Post by incisor »

hi

am just new here as i bought one of the anaconda charbroil units on their latest special

cost me $79 new in the box as i had a $30 voucher (they are $109 at present) http://www.anaconda.com.au/Product/Camp ... q#90043369

got an orange bag of charcoal from masters and did a seasoning burn this afternoon for a few hours at 250F-350F.

off to find some smoke wood tomorrow and am going to try and cook a little something for tomorrow night..

wish me luck... will need it i think :p
greeny03

Post by greeny03 »

Well done. I did see them in the latest catalogue and thought is a great price for someone wanting to get into smoking and slow cooking!
Post up some pics of your cook. Remember to let it breath(the fire/smoke) or the meat will end up sooty.
beachbums

Post by beachbums »

greeny03 wrote:Well done. I did see them in the latest catalogue and thought is a great price for someone wanting to get into smoking and slow cooking!
Post up some pics of your cook. Remember to let it breath(the fire/smoke) or the meat will end up sooty.
Ditto what Greeny said. A smaller hotter fire works better for me than a choked down one. Good luck with your cook, post up some pics.

Cheers, Wayne
Jars

Post by Jars »

I saw these in the shops. Cute little smoker, good size for smaller cooks, like a few ribs and a small pork butt. Looks like a great entry level smoker.

Look forward to seeing what it will churn out.
Yoder YS480 || Weber OTS Premium || Weber Go Anywhere || Weber Jumbo Joe || Keg Spit || 'Golden Moth' UDS
incisor

Post by incisor »

took longer than i thought it would to get a chance at using it but today was the day :p

warming up

in with the meat

smokin

resting

tucker time!

all in all i was very happy with the results

1kg topside roast, lump charcoal, cherry wood and old convict rub..

pleased as punch with the results.

didn't think i would get it done as well as i did on the first try..

beginners luck i suppose and $79 well spent i reckon