Which BBQ Rangehood?

GASSERS, LPG OR NATURAL
Rondanella

Re: Which BBQ Rangehood?

Post by Rondanella »

Hi all I'm a new member to this forum I have also been looking for a range hood for my outdoor kitchen , I have been looking also at custom made ones but the $$$$$$$ is a killer , I looked on eBay and came across Rio Grand range hood I took the gamble on it think it was $ 550 delivered was quite impressed on the look and quality of the unit it does 2700m3/hr twin 440 motors and 4led lights have used it couple times to do a roast and have only used it on low and works great even sucks the bugs in at them same time fingers crossed and will keep you posted on its performance .
If any body would like pics of it please send me your email and I send some

Cheers.
kallen1

Post by kallen1 »

Hi All,
My first post on the forum after getting lots of useful information I now need a little more :) I live on the beautiful North Coast of NSW and I've bought a Gasmate Platinum II BBQ and have tried to save money on the range-hood and have bought the Rio Grande 1500 :oops: .
I've enquired with the eBay seller regarding the following but with no help!
Firstly the top of the unit has 2 black plastic adaptors (square to round) for the flue to connect to and white 150mm flexible ducting that joins to it; are these pieces fireproof and if not should they be, I would prefer to have metal?
The unit is mounted on the wall and looks fantastic BUT I've been to 6 plumbing supply companies trying to source the flue pipes to fit, with no luck....
The top of the 2 black adaptors accepts a 160mm pipe but all the standard flue kits are 150mm, is 160mm flue pipe easily available and from where?
Would be great to have it all going by Xmas but having not much luck :o
Looking forward to some constructive comments.
Cheer Karl
RoofPlum

Post by RoofPlum »

Hi People,

Karl 150mm duct is standard, is your 160mm inside or out diameter as the duct goes inside the square to round mount on the rangehood not the outside
Also I have built a alfresco area 10metre's by 7 with a outdoor kitchen with a Beefeater BBQ and a Excelsior rangehood $2000.00 biggest waste of money ever spent
I mounted it to wall back wall didn't work alfresco full of smoke, mounted it 180mm more to the front of the bbq still crap :x
Now I'm getting quotes for a commercial grade rangehood, might cost more at the start but saves coin in the long run (by the way Beefeater rangehoods are shit, save your money send it to me :D )

Anyone want to by a Excelsior rangehood half price $1000.00 great product :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Cheers All
Nikos

Post by Nikos »

Can highly recommend the Qasair brand of rangehoods. We've got a large twin motor 1200 wide unit for home and they are supposedly the most powerful and quietest units available. Not cheap ($2700), but worth every cent. I think they are made in Australia too. Their website suggests they may be able to help with outside BBQ's too. http://www.qasair.com.au/tech_information_8.html

Good Luck.

Nikos.
Shawn

Post by Shawn »

Hi all I have just discovered this forum and have been reading this thread with interest. A couple of things have stood out in my quest for a rangehood for my bbq, the dimension from the wall needs to be somewhere around 700 - 800mm, and you need a high volume fan to extract the smoke. I have looked at the Ebay ones and have even had a guy come out to price a commercial one for me with an inline roof extractor($%#%@^ expensive). It would seem you need to spend around 1k to get something decent, having said that has anyone looked at the island type that are free standing? This in my mind would alleviate the need for a huge hood as you could position it where the concentration of smoke is. Anyone else have thoughts on this?
jazig_k

Post by jazig_k »

Another first poster here, but not another sales tard. Figured I don't want to just start another thread since these other guys have put so much effort into trying to pump their own businesses :roll:

Has anyone actually forked out $2K for a rangehood with bad results? Other than the Beefeater... I've already read MANY poor reviews.

Any reports on the Schweigen that HN sell? http://www.harveynorman.com.au/schweige ... ehood.html

Or the Ziegler from BBQ Galour? https://www.barbequesgalore.com.au/zieg ... -rangehood

One reason I ask about these guys is because I'm thinking about just grabbing them on interest free finance and spending the bit extra rather than depleting our savings.
Groovy Gorilla

Post by Groovy Gorilla »

If your handy
Cheap but nice ss range-hood gives you the visible bling and nice finish
a bit of sheet metal work increase duct size and create duct
disconnect pathetic fan and attach good external fan you could get it wired to the original switch.
chilling while grilling
jazig_k

Post by jazig_k »

Not a bad idea you know.

Just went to BBQ galore and had a look at the Ziegler on display. It's far quieter than I imagined 2,000m3 to sound like... Definitely had good suction I could feel with my hand. We spoke directly beside the unit for 5 minutes or more easily, it's really not loud at all.
Filters don't look like much compared to an indoor/kitchen rangehood. Just 2 corrugated panels with cut slots off set to eachother.
On the inside, 2 barrel fans with oil drip trays, which I think they'd need with the lack of filter mesh.
Lighting is fantastic under it!

I spoke with the owner who was far less pushy to sell me the unit than I expected. When I asked if there is anything else available he pretty much told me that everything else they can sell me would only be costing more for looks as they all suck just as much. If I understood right, Ziegler & Brown was the BBQ Galore in house brand, he told me. They own them? When asked for anyone who had one installed to talk to he gave me the details of a local chef with two 4 burner BBQs setup who uses one to call and ask about feedback.
The only warranty feedback was one dead LED light at a footy club. Said spare parts are very easy to get quickly.

Will go have a look at HN sometime soon and check that out.
Les.Lim

Post by Les.Lim »

Hi,

I'm currently looking at installing a BBQ rangehood and have looked through several options. Does anyone have any experience with bigaussiedeals.com.au

They are selling two brands, Grande and Phoenix rangehoods. Twin motors with fully metal parts and teflon coated fan blades. The unit i'm looking at is 1500mm x 600mm. Base upon what i'm reading here, 600mm deep rangehood should be deep enough to use with a Beefeater Signature S ? any comments ?

http://www.bigaussiedeals.com.au/1500-c ... range-hood

any comments or feedback would be much appreciated
jgblackney

Post by jgblackney »

Les.Lim wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:48 am Hi,

I'm currently looking at installing a BBQ rangehood and have looked through several options. Does anyone have any experience with bigaussiedeals.com.au

They are selling two brands, Grande and Phoenix rangehoods. Twin motors with fully metal parts and teflon coated fan blades. The unit i'm looking at is 1500mm x 600mm. Base upon what i'm reading here, 600mm deep rangehood should be deep enough to use with a Beefeater Signature S ? any comments ?

http://www.bigaussiedeals.com.au/1500-c ... range-hood

any comments or feedback would be much appreciated
Any luck finding out if they were any good? Currently looking at them myself. Cheers
carnivore

Post by carnivore »

me too, anyone used these guys or have any insights??

Im not sure whether to take the punt on something like this https://www.bigaussiedeals.com.au/1200m ... alfres~170
or

Stick with the Z&B with similar specs but $400 more expensive once delivered (5 year warranty and peace of mind, as ive seen this in action) https://www.barbequesgalore.com.au/zieg ... ith-remote

Any advice will be appreciated
Mainey . . .

Post by Mainey . . . »

I don't have one either but use one at a club I belong to :)

What I have noticed with their 'smoke extractor' is it has been set up against the rear wall.
A good place you would suggest - however the down lights are not shining on the BBQ plate/griddle and the smoke goes up in front of the 'extractor' :cry:

I would suggest you put the BBQ where you want to use it, then measure the surface area and see what you need to make the smoke extractor really work properly.
An experienced cook & now a Weber Baby 'Q' devotee...
it's a very different world where you can smell but can't see what's happening with your food
:P
carnivore

Post by carnivore »

cheers Mainey, are you saying the bigaussiedeals / Phoenix unit isn't effective at the club, potentially because of the install though?

ive done the measurements in-situ here and it checks out per their recommendation, although take your point on lights - that was one of my concerns in comparison to the Z&B unit (lights on that were spot on, just not $400 worth spot on!)

Anyone had experience with the Z&B?
Mainey . . .

Post by Mainey . . . »

carnivore wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:08 am cheers Mainey, are you saying the bigaussiedeals / Phoenix unit isn't effective at the club, potentially because of the install though?

ive done the measurements in-situ here and it checks out per their recommendation, although take your point on lights - that was one of my concerns in comparison to the Z&B unit (lights on that were spot on, just not $400 worth spot on!)

Anyone had experience with the Z&B?
the smoke/gas miss the range-hood because it was installed against the rear wall, and not out from the wall directly above the hotplate/griddle

Z&B grills and much thinner than all others I've seen.
An experienced cook & now a Weber Baby 'Q' devotee...
it's a very different world where you can smell but can't see what's happening with your food
:P