My First Smoker.... Help required

All about smokers hot and cold
alimac23

My First Smoker.... Help required

Post by alimac23 »

Hi Guys,

I've had my Weber OTS now for a couple of weeks and its already seen a lot of use, I'm enjoying using it a lot and there's a lot of things I'm looking forward to trying.

I cooked a meal for 15 people at the weekend and it soon become apparently obvious that to cook for a larger number of people I'm' going to need to invest in a smoker, I've been looking around at a few and noticed that BBQ's Galore have a "Texas" smoker for $399, the question is has anyone use this model before and can i get better for my money / slightly more?

http://www.barbequesgalore.com.au/produ ... x?id=20857
olde

Re: My First Smoker.... Help required

Post by olde »

If you're at all handy just make a UDS. Costs will be less than 80 bux, and as long as you don't get a lined drum the work is very minimal. Use the grates and lid from the OTS, and you'll be set. Can do a lot of food in one drum, and very easy to control temps.
alimac23

Post by alimac23 »

olde wrote:If you're at all handy just make a UDS. Costs will be less than 80 bux, and as long as you don't get a lined drum the work is very minimal. Use the grates and lid from the OTS, and you'll be set. Can do a lot of food in one drum, and very easy to control temps.
Thanks Olde but my handyman skills are pretty poor, i'll see if i can find a guide on how to make one but at this point im pretty keen on buying a ready made one.
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

I've got one, it works! The metal is thin, first fire burnt the paint off the firebox, so now its rusty and I replaced the wheels in the first week, they kept falling off!

Cheers
Chris
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!
alimac23

Post by alimac23 »

urbangriller wrote:I've got one, it works! The metal is thin, first fire burnt the paint off the firebox, so now its rusty and I replaced the wheels in the first week, they kept falling off!

Cheers
Chris
:D Thanks Chris, Good to get an honest review on them.

I've just had a look at your site and noticed the Hark Tri-Smoker, i take it these are a little more solidly built than the BBQ's Galore offering?
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

alimac23 wrote:
urbangriller wrote:I've got one, it works! The metal is thin, first fire burnt the paint off the firebox, so now its rusty and I replaced the wheels in the first week, they kept falling off!

Cheers
Chris

I've just had a look at your site and noticed the Hark Tri-Smoker, i take it these are a little more solidly built than the BBQ's Galore offering?
Way more solid!...about three times the weight (or more)...more expensive also.

There are others here with the BBQ Galore one, you'll get more comments no doubt!

Chris
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!
bbqmad

Post by bbqmad »

alimac23 wrote:

Cheers
Chris

Mate for a relatively small smoker.......their built like the proverbial...S...........Outhouse! :D Cracking, awesome smoker
If we weren't supposed to eat animals then why do they taste so good
Weber Platinum
Weber Kettle 22.5"
Bar-b-chef Texas Smoker
Weber Genesis
Weber 18.5" Smokey Mountain
alimac23

Post by alimac23 »

bbqmad wrote:
alimac23 wrote:

Cheers
Chris

Mate for a relatively small smoker.......their built like the proverbial...S...........Outhouse! :D Cracking, awesome smoker
That's good to hear, i'd rather spend the extra $$ now and have something that still works in a few years time than save a couple of $$ and have a rusty piece of metal that no longer does what i want it to.
olde

Post by olde »

Check the seppo site bbq-brethren. Full guide to making it there, look for the redneck uds thread, it's a lot smaller and provides a simple guide. If you can drill a hole, you can make it.