What determines the output of a gas burner...?

GASSERS, LPG OR NATURAL
RobSee

Post by RobSee »

I'm researching a new 6 burner gas Barbie for the new deck.

It may be built in, it may be stand alone.

To be honest - for the money - the big entertainer for 2 grand at Bunnings looks as though it ticks all the boxes, but I have reservations. I see that the output for the side burner is about 10MJ, but I understand that you want to have at least 15MJ to be effective when cooking with a wok etc. I use the wok a fair bit, and also use the side burner to boil/steam up mud crabs and also to brew beer.

If the output is governed by the thickness of the hose that connects the burner, then if you increase the diameter hose, then it stands to reason that your output would increase. However, if the output is governed by the holes in the hob, then I could be snookered.

Anyone else also come across this "first world problem"?

Cheers

Rob
SilvRFoxX

Post by SilvRFoxX »

Hey Rob

Can't answer your question about btu but just some feedback on BBQ selection. The 2k bunnings job will do the job but for that spend I suspect you are buying all the cabinetry sinks and benchtop and therefore the quality of the actual cooking unit us compromised.

Depends what you want to achieve with your BBQ .
Weapons : Weber Genesis E330, Weber OTG Premium & Hark Patio Smoker
RobSee

Re: What determines the output of a gas burner...?

Post by RobSee »

Thanks guys.

OK - That does help me - as I would not be keen on altering the number or the size of the burner holes in the hob.

I was wondering if there might be an easy fix like a hose replacement, but that does not seem to be the go.

Cheers!
peteru

Post by peteru »

Best idea is to buy a unit that does what you want out of the factory. Once you start effing with a gas appliance, your AGA certification (and insurance policy) are void. Not worth it.

Post by RobSee »

good advice - I shall follow...
Bear

Post by Bear »

Hi RobSee,

I have tried many gasser side burners and I am yet to find one that is sufficiently hot enough to use as a wok burner.

IMHO 15 MJ is not really enough output for traditional Chinese stir-fry. I have a unit similar to the one pictured that I use for the wok, brew kettle, crab boiler, turkey fryer and lighting the chimney starter.
Charcoal: 22.5" Weber OTP 2000 | Wood Oven: Al Forno Piemonte R8 | Portable: Weber GA 2006
Gasser: NG WeberQ 320 | Rotisserie: Gaganis custom dual spit | Smoker: 18.5" WSM 2004
RobSee

Post by RobSee »

Hi Bear,

It seems as though your picture has disappeared.

Can you repost?

Cheers

Rob
Gatsby

Post by Gatsby »

Hi,
I use a cast iron 3 burner that I got from the BBQ Factory (sitting on a sandstone tile from Bunnings)
http://www.bbqfactory.com.au/BBQs_detail.asp?id=620

Can't remember the MJ rating but it's high - a similar one on ebay says 30MJ/hr

Cheers
barls

Post by barls »

I use a Italian spiral burner with a medium pressure adjustable reg for my home brewing. It will bring about 70 L to a boil in about 20 minutes .
I got it from beerbelly in sa

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk