New member - Old Pizza Oven

Mmmm Pizza (how to build and use)
toolman

New member - Old Pizza Oven

Post by toolman »

I'm new here but thought I would show you my pizza oven I built a few years back. It's a barrel design and was built primarily for bread baking so the walls are about 10 25cm thick.

I love my oven and use it regularly, wouldn't be without it!

titch

Re: New member - Old Pizza Oven

Post by titch »

Nice. :wink:
Cheers
Titch
beachbums

Post by beachbums »

Nice job Toolman. My son keeps talking about building something similar, got any tips?

Cheers, Wayne
toolman

Post by toolman »

beachbums wrote:Nice job Toolman. My son keeps talking about building something similar, got any tips?

Cheers, Wayne
Hi Wayne

My advice is use fire bricks for the floor only. You don't need fire bricks for the barrel, just use solid cream bricks not solid red. The red bricks result in an oven that will be too dark inside.

Most areas of the build you can skimp on and save money but DO NOT skimp on the insulation! Spend the dollars and buy a quality ceramic blanket. You won't regret it.

Lastly, Pizza ovens have been around for 100's of years and built without all the hi tech materials we have today. I got too bogged down on what materials were best to use and the miniscule details on how to build it. My advice is just get started. You will come across problems along the way but will be easily solved with a bit of thought or asking someone like myself. Since building the one above I have gone on to build a few others and have used really cheap materials and they work just fine. The last one I built I used sand/cement bricks off ebay for $10 and it's one of the best I've built.

If you need any info please just ask.

Dave
beachbums

Post by beachbums »

Thanks for the tips Dave. I'm sure that others on here will find them useful too. Good point about getting too HighTech with it too.

Cheers, Wayne