What type of Oil

Post your recipe requests and cooking questions in this setion. Not for general discussions.
noobbbq

What type of Oil

Post by noobbbq »

Hi,

I have read that Oliove Oil is not recommended for barbeques as they smoke a lot. The alternatives are of course rice bran/vegetable oil. I have been using Avocado Oil the last few times but it's expensive. The Mrs, who is a bit of a health nut, won;t allow me to use Rice bran or Canola Oil. What other alternatives do you all suggest I look into?

Thanks

Noob.
titch

Re: What type of Oil

Post by titch »

Interesting, I use Rice Bran because a well know Nutritionist suggested I do, also has a neutral flavour
Cheers
Titch
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

Olive oil goes sticky when it gets hot...so no good for BBQ.

Grapeseed is a good Neutral oil.

Chris
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!
Zorba

Post by Zorba »

i use olive oil on my flat plate with no issues. or i use spray canola.
noobbbq

Post by noobbbq »

Thanks for the replies. I will try grapeseed as an option.
Smokey

Post by Smokey »

Oil does my bloody head in, One oil is good one day and bad the next.
I dont use olive oil for grilling and have a dozen differant oils for various uses. But for bulk usage like Titch ive been using rice bran oil.
I also like grape seed but dont often see it go cheap for four litres of it.
If trees screamed when we cut them down, We wouldn't. If they screamed all the time we would.
http://www.aussiecue.com.au
donburke

Post by donburke »

the reason olive oil is not the best for cooking is because it has a low flash point and tends to burn

try using some oils that have higher flash points

tetsuya uses virgin sesame oil for his steaks, it has a high flash point and compliments the flavour of beef (in particular wagyu), I like it

I have tried hazelnut oil also and the flavour makes it through as its quite strong, try hazelnut oil with tarragon, works real well together
Hogsy

Post by Hogsy »

Rice bran for me
I didn't realize there was an issue with it :shock:
Viva La Charcoal Revolution
Team Go To Jail - Lifetime member!
LA1

Post by LA1 »

Macadamia Oil. High flash point, healthy, nice flavour
beermee

Post by beermee »

Rice bran - apparently something controversial about the type of fat or something. Like Smokey Mick said - one day its great, the next its bad - who really knows....?

Peanut oil has a high smoke/flash point - hence why its used in those jet flame powered asian woks!

The only time I worry about what oil to use it when I've got the old school BBQ cranking a little too hot - can't turn that stick/log burner down, so out comes the peanut oil to burn those onions and snags. I also reserve EVOO for salad dressings/dipping/etc - not cooking.

Gary
Note that: Gary is posting on the Aussie BBQ Forum as: 'SmokeKingBBQs' (as a vendor) and 'beermee' (as a personal account)

Bill44

Post by Bill44 »

Peanut oil for me on the BBQ, for the Wok, and for seasoning my cast iron gear. Extra Virgin Olive oil for anything else.
Bill
Cast Iron Hibachi
Jackeroo Mini Spit
18 1/2" kettle
57cm Kettle
6 Burner Gasser sausage sizzler only.
chrisg

Post by chrisg »

I think I've just about always used olive oil, it does get a little gummy but it really depends what is being cooked, well rubbed in its fine.

Lately though we've been playing with coconut oil, it can be expensive but for just two people a lot of the time not much to worry about - great flavour, especially of course with Asian influenced dishes, especially Thai.

Canola really is a bit scary in terms of health, stopped using it years ago.

For a lot of things indoors and out I just use butter, my butter warmer gets a lot of use. I've listened to all the health objections and frankly I just don't believe a small amount of melted butter is going to do any harm and it tastes fabulous :)

Cheers
Bear

Post by Bear »

I'm a little confused, what's wrong with rice bran oil? I've been using it for everything that I don't want to or can't use olive oil for, for many years....
Charcoal: 22.5" Weber OTP 2000 | Wood Oven: Al Forno Piemonte R8 | Portable: Weber GA 2006
Gasser: NG WeberQ 320 | Rotisserie: Gaganis custom dual spit | Smoker: 18.5" WSM 2004
chrisg

Post by chrisg »

:)

Absolutely nothin' Bear that I know of.

We do spend a lot of time staying away from Big Pharm and GM stuff, although my wife is a deal more rabid about the latter than I am.

Canola I really wonder why it is still even sold - the health impacts are pretty well demonstrated, but most of the other oils it just comes down to cost, smoke point and taste.

Honestly, I use butter, olive oil and accept it is not ideal, coconut is interesting, but what the hell is wrong with lard? Apart from the gouging prices of course :) It spits, it is natural but it works in a lot of things.

Guess I'm old school, we never bought oil much, unless it was for the car :)

Lard we just collected and used - I still do.

I did run across an article recently about the health benefits of " oil pulling." Very old, basically an empty stomach morning mouth wash ritual of 30 mins of swishing good oil in your mouth.

Apparently pulls out toxins, whitens teeth, freshens breath etc.

I'm tempted but what westerner has 30 mins to spare in the morning ?:)

Maybe one of these days :)

Cheers
Bear

Post by Bear »

Coles have 'Alfa One' Rice Bran Oil 3L for $8.95 this week
Charcoal: 22.5" Weber OTP 2000 | Wood Oven: Al Forno Piemonte R8 | Portable: Weber GA 2006
Gasser: NG WeberQ 320 | Rotisserie: Gaganis custom dual spit | Smoker: 18.5" WSM 2004