Pulled Pork

All Meats Including BEEF, PORK, LAMB & GAME
Nini8r

Pulled Pork

Post by Nini8r »

Morning All,
Just thought Id share some pic's of the first pulled pork I've done in the new beast. Worked out beautiful so morish, but a 4kg shoulder was way to big for the number of people oh well lunch for the week. Let me know what you think. Kept the temp between 225F and 240F cheated a bit and did the last 6hr in the oven. Pulled it then split into 3 1 plain, 1 tomato and vinegar sauce and 1 bbq sauce. I had 4 pulled pork rolls yesterday hmmm.
Cheers

Before

After 16hrs

The Pull

The Result

Neil
Silver Creek Smokers
Custom Reverse Flow Off-set Smoker
Bentley

Re: Pulled Pork

Post by Bentley »

I have cooked a bunch over the last 11 years competing, and that one is as good as any I have taken a 1st place with! What wood did you use?
Burnt By The Best
Competition BBQ Team

Fresno State University
Go Dogs!

Nini8r

Post by Nini8r »

Thanx a lot I wish we had a BBQ contest here.
I used hickory, weber brand I think. Quick question do you mix the bark in with the rest of the meat ? I did.
Neil
Silver Creek Smokers
talisker63

Pulled Pork

Post by talisker63 »

Looks perfect! Well done (no pun). I put my left overs pulled and sauced into Foodsaver bags, vacuum seal and freeze, they work out great.

Foodsaver is the go.
Bentley

Post by Bentley »

Nini8r wrote:Thanx a lot I wish we had a BBQ contest here.
I used hickory, weber brand I think. Quick question do you mix the bark in with the rest of the meat ? I did.

I do, but I am more Carolinaian with my pork..I like it chopped more then pulled and I think the bark gives it a great depth of flavor when it is mixed in!
Burnt By The Best
Competition BBQ Team

Fresno State University
Go Dogs!

Livewire

Post by Livewire »

NiniBr

That looks great, big smiles I can imagine :)

What weapon of choose was used to cook :?: (you need to add in your signature)

Glenn
Kamado slow it goes as those lovely red embers glow
Royal Kamado, Weber Kettle K: 1988, Weber OTG DD:2000, Coolabah Mini Spit and 4 B Gasser
Floody85

Post by Floody85 »

talisker63 wrote:Looks perfect! Well done (no pun). I put my left overs pulled and sauced into Foodsaver bags, vacuum seal and freeze, they work out great.

Foodsaver is the go.
I always thought you couldn't freeze cooked meat??? I've now seen of a few ppl freezing pulled pork
peteru

Post by peteru »

Of course you can. Think of frozen meals - they're cooked. What you need to be careful with is defrosting and then refreezing again, without bringing the temperature up in between.

Post by Floody85 »

peteru wrote:Of course you can. Think of frozen meals - they're cooked. What you need to be careful with is defrosting and then refreezing again, without bringing the temperature up in between.
Ok that's where I was confused. I know you can't defrost meat and then freeze it again. So if you cook it first, then u can freeze it? After it cools down?
Bill44

Post by Bill44 »

Yep!
Bill
Cast Iron Hibachi
Jackeroo Mini Spit
18 1/2" kettle
57cm Kettle
6 Burner Gasser sausage sizzler only.
peteru

Post by peteru »

You can go straight from boiling hot into the freezer, as long as you have containers that can take the sudden temperature swing. In fact, going from very hot to extremely cold in the shortest possible time is one of the safest methods, because the food does not stay in the danger zone for very long at all.

Post by skuzy »

ive yet to cook up pulled pork with that kind of bark !!! awesome!
what temp did u take it up to? and was there alot of sugar content in your rub? im wondering if this is the missing piece for me..
peteru

Post by peteru »

I don't think the sugar content is a big factor in bark quality. I've done a pulled pork rubbed with sea salt and dried herbs only, no sugar at all, and the bark was very nice. Maybe moisture and time contributes more. With the above cook, I had water in the pan for the first four hours, the remaining 20 hours were without any additional moisture. Yes, this was a 24 hour pulled pork cook. :wink:

Post by Nini8r »

THanx, all I did was had a water pan in the cooking chamber and I rubbed with mild mustard and coated with a standard pork rub that has no sugar. Bark was delish and because I didnt turn it had a nice burnt end aswell. I was cooking at between 225 and 240F and put in the oven for the last 4 hours pulled when internal was 195F rested for an hour then pulled.
Neil
Silver Creek Smokers