Making a Traditional Christmas Ham

All Meats Including BEEF, PORK, LAMB & GAME
Smokey

Re: Making a Traditional Christmas Ham

Post by Smokey »

Rump,
Looks like you have bought a ham that is part of a system. and as I thought it was pickled and then cold smoked.
Therefore you should folow the system given by Vince.
However there is nothing stopping you from throwing in a chunk of hickory as you cook it, I would, just to make it my own.
I dont think Ive had an over smoked ham, Just very yummy double (In your case if you wack a chunk or two in there) or tripple (means smoke long time) smoked.
Do you intend to carve and serve it hot? or cool it down for slicing as cold ham?
If trees screamed when we cut them down, We wouldn't. If they screamed all the time we would.
http://www.aussiecue.com.au
MyRumpMyRumpMyRump

Post by MyRumpMyRumpMyRump »

Hey thanks for clearing that up Mick, much appreciated. Yes definitely want to serve it hot. I love hot ham!
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

Having a taste is a good move, but like Mick says...hard to oversmoke ham! Rosemary gives a nice smoke on ham, Banksia is also good.

Cheers
Chris
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!
MyRumpMyRumpMyRump

Sounds like a plan Chris, will try mixing some rosemary with some hickory chips.
Laurie

Post by Laurie »

I'm keen on giving this Christmas Ham a go but have a couple of questions.

The raw sugar and curing process - does it have to last 3 weeks? If I am running on an accelerated timeframe can I cure for say 1 week and then brine for 1 week with multiple injections of brine?

Does the raw sugar stay on the pork after the curing or is it washed off (either in the brine or under a tap?)

Cheers
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

You don't have to go that long, but if you don't the pork will not "Cure" so you are making a version of roast pork.....the colour will be more like pork than ham.

And the sugar is washed off before the brine stage.

Cheers
Chris
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!
MyRumpMyRumpMyRump

Just following up on the Ham I cooked at Christmas. Got up at 5am to start the weber and had the ham on by 6am. Slow cooked it at about 100C for about 5 1/2 hours. Smoked it for the first hour with a mixture of apple and mesquite chips. Took it off and rested it for an hour in foil.

The best ham our family has ever had. Everyone was raving about it.

The leftovers kept tasting better everyday too.

Thanks Vince!