Shayne's first go at Pulled Pork

All Meats Including BEEF, PORK, LAMB & GAME
shayneh2006

Shayne's first go at Pulled Pork

Post by shayneh2006 »

Well, i have been here for a good while now (must be getting close to 12 Months now :lol: ) and in that time just about BBQed everything. Well maybe not quite that much!!!!!.

After all the recent talk and hype in regards to Pulled Pork, it has been on my to do list for a bit so tonight i have bit the bullet and am going to have a crack at it.

Soooo, i have just returned from Cabra with a nice chunk of neck (about 2kgs). Going price there ATM is $9.99/kg or 2kgs for $19.00 :wink:

I decided to tie it from advice found on a well known US BBQ site

I have injected it with a mix of-
(90mls apple juice)
(60mls water)
(60mls white sugar)
(30mls table salt)
(15mls)Worcestershire Sauce)

Rubbed it with American Mustard

Then applied a rub of-
60mls dark brown sugar
120mls white sugar
120mls Sweet paprika
80mls garlic Powder
60mls Cooking salt
1 Tablespoon chili powder
1 Tablespoon Oregano
1 Tablespoon Cayene Pepper
1 Tablespoon cumin
1 Tablespoon Black Pepper

Those recipes were sourced off the net as well :oops:

I mixed all this and applied a good coating

I popped it into the fridge and am hoping to have it on the kettle at 12;00am Sunday (Tomorrow) morning Using the Snake method. Gunna use a water pan too!!!!

The temps i am going for is about 235F measured with a suspended Maverick probe through the top vent. Once i get it in the zone, it will be a trouble free cook as this is the way i do my ribs and have fine tuned the whole "maintaining a low temp" deal.

I am also going to overlook the foiling part and just keep pushing it to 190F then pull it off, foil it, wrap it in a blanket and then put it inside an esky.

If all goes well, it should be ready to eat Sunday afternoon/evening.

I think i have covered all angles but if i have missed/forgotten about anything, please let me know :wink: .

Shayne

Don't argue with idiots.. They'll bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
Livewire

Re: Shayne's first go at Pulled Pork

Post by Livewire »

Shanye

Sound spot on to me, I am suprised you have not done a Pulled Pork before this :shock:

Done Pork neck as yuo have bought a couple of times and it comes out very nice as it reasonably lean

I have not found the need to tight it up, only do that whenever I get a boned out shoulder

Looking forward to the taste test tomorrow, what time will it be served :?: should be enough for extra family of four

The Carolina Red BBQ sauce of Commander Cody's at http://www.aussiebbq.info/forum/viewtop ... 850#p15580 goes very well with the finished product

Glenn
Kamado slow it goes as those lovely red embers glow
Royal Kamado, Weber Kettle K: 1988, Weber OTG DD:2000, Coolabah Mini Spit and 4 B Gasser
AzJohnnyC

Post by AzJohnnyC »

Looks spot on to me as well. I've won several awards here for my pulled pork, using a recipe that's not far grok what you've done. I'll agree with the comment that it shouldn't need to be tied unless it's boneless. Now, if you want to eat that American style, try it on a bun with some cole slaw. And don't forget the finished photos!
Cheers!
Johnny
shayneh2006

Post by shayneh2006 »

AzJohnnyC wrote:I'll agree with the comment that it shouldn't need to be tied unless it's boneless
Yeh, well she is boneless and its just a thing with me,,,,,,,,i like things looking neat n tidy :oops: :oops:

Oh, i forgot to mention that i will be using Tasmanian Oak on this. Correct me if i am wrong but hardwoods like Hickory are too harsh for the Pulled Pork. The sites that i was on today recomended anything in the fruit tree range,,,,or Oak

Shayne

Don't argue with idiots.. They'll bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
Bennysm

Post by Bennysm »

I did my one and only pulled pork with hickory, only 3 chunks though and it was magic......I tried mine served a few ways but the stand out for me was a fresh roll with pickles, Dijon mustard and cheese....unorthodox but delish!
Looking forward to the results of this one.
Austy

Post by Austy »

Bet someone's busy right about now :lol:
Until the Meiji era, a kitchen was also called kamado - Wikipedia
AzJohnnyC

Post by AzJohnnyC »

Any wood that pleases you works. Although for pork, I prefer fruit woods like apple or cherry. A nut wood like pecan is generally good for most cuts of meat.
Cheers!
Johnny
shayneh2006

Post by shayneh2006 »

Who needs a WSM or even a Komado for that matter :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: not me :lol: :lol:

There aint nothing that cant be done on a kettle!!!!!!!

This has been the easiest, trouble free cook i have ever had 8) .

As an earlier photo shows, everything was set to got. I just needed to start some previously used beads (these light the fastest) to put on the front of my Snake. Sooo, at 11:00 pm last night, i started a few handfulls in a chimney on the Performer. This took 15mins or so then they were tipped into the Silver which is right beside. I put a few litres of boiling water into the pan and the lid went on. The probe in its place and i took off. The monitors alarm was set for (low 220F) and (high240F).

I played with the vents and by midnight the reading was steady at 235F. This is when the meat went in :wink: :wink:
Just like my ribs,,,, bottom vent 3/4 closed and top is nearly almost closed on the probe wire.

By 12:05, i hit the sack.

Then (sounds like a saga, dont it) i woke at 6:30 and was delighted to see the monitor on my bedside reading 227F and the meat 154F. I was even more happy with the fact that my kettle driven by a snake did not wake me once with alarms going off due to temp spikes and falls. It just sat there in the zone.

Here is the meat at 6:45 am (almost 7 hrs in)

After the shot was taken, i sprayed it with Apple juice and will do again in 1 1/2hrs. Oh, i cant believe the endurance of these Snakes. I am almost 8 hrs (the head included) and i have only burnt up 1/3 of its length :shock:

Shayne

AzJohnnyC

Post by AzJohnnyC »

That's amazing! Looks as if things are going perfectly. I've got two dedicated smokers, but this has me wanting to try a cook in my kettle.
Cheers!
Johnny
Smokey

Post by Smokey »

Looking good Shayne. Anytime now I suppose
If trees screamed when we cut them down, We wouldn't. If they screamed all the time we would.
http://www.aussiecue.com.au
Davo
Forum Administrator

Post by Davo »

shayneh2006 wrote:Who needs a WSM or even a Komado for that matter :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: not me :lol: :lol:

There aint nothing that cant be done on a kettle!!!!!!!

Shayne

Ya damned right Shayne...there ain't nothing ya can't cook in a kettle and I still reckon they are one of the most versatile cookers on the planet.(even though the Kamado boys have now outnumbered us :( )

on saying that.....the kettle has one slight drawback when cooking multiple amount of meat and that is space..especially for indirect but the kettle is the most economical (especially using the snake) for one or two slabs like you've done.

So..seeing what you've been able to do here now....I'd like to see what damage you could do with a WSM.

The main advantage with WSM is that you have 2 levels which can creativitly be converted to 4 by using the similar set up as the Kamados using the tier racks but the best thing is that the entire food grate is usable unlike the kettle.

Cheers

Davo
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5
shayneh2006

Post by shayneh2006 »

Davo wrote:I'd like to see what damage you could do with a WSM.
Sounds good but i reckon the missus would definetly object to another BBQ. Since i have been on this forum i have gone from owning 1 old Weber Kettle to 6 Charcoal Webers and 1 Gas Weber :roll: :roll:

Have i enjoyed it,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,you bet :P

Well, the pulled pork is coming along reallllll steady. I am just starting to see a steady rise on the monitor after a painfully long stall. ATM, the meat is at 176F for almost a total cook time of 14 hrs :lol: :lol:

Shouldnt be long now!!!!!

Shayne

Commander Cody

Post by Commander Cody »

Shayne,

owsitgoing..??..

looking goood, i reckon you might be taking that out around the 2.30pm mark.. :) :) ..

damn i love it when someone runs with a new concept. and to think i kept this quite for a number of years too....

must thank my stateside mate for learning me this one for you Shayne..... :D :D

kevin
....up in smoke.....that's where my money goes.....
shayneh2006

Post by shayneh2006 »

Commander Cody wrote:Shayne,

owsitgoing..??..

Yeh, not bad at all. I just popped my first brew 8)
Commander Cody wrote:i reckon you might be taking that out around the 2.30pm mark.. ..
Mmmm, i have got a bit to go yet i think.

Most of this cook has been done at around 225F but in the last hour i ramped it up abit to push it. Oh, i made a small batch of your sauce Kevin. I have tasted it and its real good. i love anything that has got the sourness of vinegar :wink:
Commander Cody wrote:must thank my stateside mate for learning me this one for you Shayne.....
If you are refering to the Snake method, gee its a winner. I think it would be impossible to do this on a kettle any other way. Minion????????, i doubt it :roll:

Shayne

Smokey

Post by Smokey »

From what I can see, This cook is going to come out perfect.
Perfect timing and by tke looks of it you will have a perfect resting time.
You are in for a treat meal tonight.
If trees screamed when we cut them down, We wouldn't. If they screamed all the time we would.
http://www.aussiecue.com.au