Roast Pork

All Meats Including BEEF, PORK, LAMB & GAME
dangerman

Roast Pork

Post by dangerman »

I’ve never cooked bone in pork shoulder before and I’m not all that experienced with charcoal either. It’s been mostly gas for me so far, and I generally have had very good to excellent results this way.

This time I’ll be using heat beads in a weber kettle. I will be using a remote temperature probe in the meat. I should add I’m not going for a low and slow cook. More of traditional roast pork. I was planning to use this general procedure from an old post on this forum as I’m aiming for good crackling:
Captain Cook wrote:Skuzy

Just so happens that this is one of my specialities.
Perfect Crackling
Let the pork come up to room temp, Make sure the skin is scored.
Pour boiling water over the skin and then dry the skin with a paper towel and let stand for a few minutes.
Brush the skin all over with Canola oil and brush it in. sprinkle a liberal dusting of cooking salt on the skin and rub it in..
Prepare the kettle whilst the pork is coming up to room temp
Use 27 heat beads per side - no more no less. Wait until the beads are ashed over. Put a foil tray between the char baskets in the centre, place the grill on it's holders and put the lid on to preheat. Ensure both the top and bottom vents are open and leave the lid ajar by about 20 - 25 mm. This will give additional airflow and get it hotter quicker.
Place the pork in the middle and cook for about 2 1/2 hours or until the pork reaches an internal temp of 77 - 80 degrees. (This may need 3 1/2 hours depending on the size of the pork)
Take it off when cooked and cut off the crackling. double wrap the pork in foil and put it in a cooler with a couple of old towels over it. Leave the crackling to cool and you can serve it cold with the pork.
Alternatively leave the crackling on and remove it when carving, it should harden up as it cools(this is what I do

You can add a piece of wood when you put the pork on if you wish but only use one piece as you want to get the pork flavour and as Davo says it will blacken the crackling. Apple wood is a good wood to use with roast pork as it has a milder flavour.

That's another secret I have given away.

Cheers

Phil aka Captain Cook
I’m having a bit of a hard time estimating cooking time. I'm cooking a 2.1 kg bone in pork shoulder. My butcher says two hours maybe more. But the shoulder looks a bit on the thin side, I measure it a 7.5 cm at the thickest point. I’ve got quite a hot fire at the start for the crackling. I usually estimate with a minute per mm thickness, so about 75 minutes by this method.

I was going to try for the 2-hour mark. I know the probe should help with not overcooking, but I’m trying to time things so the rest of dinner comes together at the same time. I’d really appreciate the thoughts from those with more experience than myself.

Leland
titch

Re: Roast Pork

Post by titch »

Start a touch early, you can always rest a roast for a bit.
You will never go wrong following the Capts recipes
Cheers
Titch
dangerman

Post by dangerman »

Thanks titch. I'll err on the side of finishing early.
dangerman

Post by dangerman »

The only thing wondered about with captain cooks finishing temp is it seemed a touch high?
12x7

Post by 12x7 »

Watch this video from Heat Beads on how to cook pork on a Weber Kettle.

A trick you can use is to cook your meat, eg pork, beef etc than wrap in foil and then towels and put it in an esky until you are ready to eat it. Properly wrapped etc it will be hot for hours.

It is a technique if you want to cook a few things and serve at the same time, eg a leg of pork and some chickens and you only have one kettle to cook all the meat.
dangerman

Post by dangerman »

Thanks very much 12x7. Good advice with the resting.

Thanks for the video.