Pork Ribs Membrane Question

All Meats Including BEEF, PORK, LAMB & GAME
bennoc

Post by bennoc »

Hi guys, I've been searching Brisbane for decent pork ribs to do my first ribs on my OTS. Everywhere I've been they were literally bones and only a tiny bit of meat between them, until I had given up yesterday and did some Christmas shopping and accidently came across a set I liked the look of so I've got a couple of questions.

In the photo, does it look like the membrane on the back has been removed? I've only seen them in photos but it looks to me like the butcher has already removed it but I'm not 100% sure

Also is $17.99/kg a decent price for ribs? This rack set me back $28.50 but there is a lot of meat on it I can't even feel the ribs from the other side of the rack.

Muppet

Post by Muppet »

The membrane is still on these, it's easily removed by sliding a butter knife between membrane and bone at one edge, then grab it with some kitchen towel and gently pull off.
Baby steps...
Current Weaponry - Saffire Kamado, Treager Junior, Outdoorchef 57, Performer 46, 'Fooseball' Grill, Hibachi
Davo
Forum Administrator

Re: Pork Ribs Membrane Question

Post by Davo »

Sometimes the membrane breaks down during a long cook and sometimes it doesn't.
It takes a bit of practice to peel it off as Muppet has explained but the perseverance is worth while.
They say that it help with the spice rubs to get in but thats sorta debatable.....sometimes when you bite into the ribs with membrane still attached, i find it drags the meat from the bone in bigger pieces....i don't cook my ribs till fall off bone.....if laying flate on the grate...i lift up one end and if it splits at the bone on the underside bend...they are done.

Cheers

Davo
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5
Smokey

Post by Smokey »

Agree with ^^^
The price is up there but at least you will be able to cook proper ribs.
That cut you have is the "Baby Back" , My favorite cut of ribs as they are a little stronger in flavor. But thats debatable too.
If trees screamed when we cut them down, We wouldn't. If they screamed all the time we would.
http://www.aussiecue.com.au
bennoc

Post by bennoc »

Thanks for the advice, I cooked them yesterday and they ended up being on the Weber for 6 hours and were falling off the bone and the meat was soft like butter and melted in the mouth. Best ribs I've ever eaten although next time I'll probably take them off a little earlier if only so they can be cut into ribs properly instead of the meat falling straight off the bone.

Davo
Forum Administrator

Post by Davo »

The meat on ribs like most fatty meat can turn to mush and have no texture at all....now that you've had some great success, having a nice bit of chew to the ribs is to me the holy grail of ribs....so....try for a bit of chew and don't foil ribs...they are nice with a spicy and crunchy crust.

Cheers

Davo
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5
Dogkarma

Post by Dogkarma »

Hey that look great,I'm wondering what butcher you used I'm in Brisbane also and it's tough to find a good butcher
Weber 57cm compact
Weber smokey mountain
Weber 22 inch One Touch Silver,1988
Captain

Post by Captain »

I buy my Pork from Asian butchers. Usually cheaper & they deal in a lot of pork.
2cents of opinion. :)
Nothing to see here.
Dogkarma

Post by Dogkarma »

Mate I have no issues buying pork from an Asian butcher,they do love pork after all I just want to know what butcher he got these from,they look better than anything I've come across.
Weber 57cm compact
Weber smokey mountain
werewolf

Post by werewolf »

Hi Bennoc

I would love to know what Brisbane butcher you used too! I cooked some ribs recently and I reckon they had 1/4 of the meat on them compared to these beauties. :roll:
bennoc

Post by bennoc »

Sorry guys haven't checked this thread until today. The butcher was called Top Chop at Garden City Shopping Centre down next to Coles. The ribs are fantastic and they have heaps of other good BBQ cuts as well.
Dogkarma

Post by Dogkarma »

Damn I was there today watching Star Wars,is that the Asian one that is opposite the food court,the one that's like eat st?
Weber 57cm compact
Weber smokey mountain
Dogkarma

Post by Dogkarma »

looks like I missed out as I went down this morning and they sold out from the week end,they did have some really nice beef ribs though and the pork belly they had looked great,i asked them on the fly who do they know that would have good pork ribs,he said give these guys a try.
I raced down and as they service the Asian market they had lots of great pork cuts,the ribs they had cut in the cabinet were pretty small cut down the center in half as I was looking at them feeling sunk and almost back to the drawing board a bloke in the back said "mate do you want USA style ribs?" I almost yelled back YES!,when he gave them to me he said my customers don't like a full rack but I've always got lots of meaty ribs on hand so just ask and we'll help you out,I'm pretty happy with them and they were $17.99 kilo on special
http://www.yelp.com.au/biz/hauffs-butchery-Sunnybank
I'd post pics but not sure how as it says file to large,I'm using an iPhone and not that tech savvy so if you guys know how I'll upload them.
Weber 57cm compact
Weber smokey mountain
Michael_Dunn

Post by Michael_Dunn »

Dogkarma

Post by Dogkarma »

Two and a bit hours in I'm pretty happy with them so far,temps are good and holding

Weber 57cm compact
Weber smokey mountain