How to make killer Schweinshaxe?

All Meats Including BEEF, PORK, LAMB & GAME
HeatnSmoke

How to make killer Schweinshaxe?

Post by HeatnSmoke »

Looking for advice on how to make a killer Schweinshaxe on the kettle for some German guests.

I reckon - sit the hocks in a baking tray with beer + smoke uncovered in a kettle at around 160c indirect heat + ramp up kettle temp at the end to crisp the skin.

My questions:

1) Does this approach sound about right? At what meat temp should I throw it on direct heat to crisp the skin?

2) Can anyone recommend a good butcher in Vic Market to get a nice meaty knuckles? All the ones I've seen at my local butcher (smoked ham hock) look pretty skinny.

3) Is the correct cut to ask for forequarter or hindquarter?

This, gentlemen, is what I dream of:

urbangriller

Re: How to make killer Schweinshaxe?

Post by urbangriller »

Try this Link:
http://www.aussiebbq.info/forum/viewtop ... hweinshaxe

Schweinshaxe is a German or Bavarian Pork Knuckle dish that is to die for!!! In traditional kitchens it is steamed for 3-4 hours, to cook the meat and break down the collagen then roasted at high temp for an hour to give amazing crackle.

Brine the pork first if you can, I add fennel seeds to mine.

In a Kettle run a Low-Med heat (130-150C) fire on one side with a water pan on the cooking grill over the fire, the pork on the other side.

Roughly 3-4 hours later light a full chimney of 50/50 heat beads and redheads robot turds. The Pork Knuckles will be soft, remove them from the kettle, move the remaining fire to the centre of the kettle, open all vents and pour in the hot chimney of fresh fire, mound it up in the middle and contain it if you can.

Replace the cooking grill, arrange the Knuckles around the outside, put the lid back on and roast the hell out of them, after 10 minutes the crackle will have started, rotate each one a quarter turn, do that again in 5 minutes, keep going till the crackle is fully done.

Cheers
Chris
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!
HeatnSmoke

Post by HeatnSmoke »

Thanks Chris for all the tips. Yeah, I"m drooling just looking at these pics!

So in essence, it's a low and slow with a warp factor 10 roast at the end. Do I cook to a temp or to fork/probe tender before turning on the afterburners?

I note in the other thread you posted the approach was reversed, high heat first to crisp the exterior, then drop the heat to cook the interior. That dwell technique sounds cool but have a ways to go before I tame the flame like you can, ha ha.

Once I get a hold of the right size joints I'll give this a go and report back :D
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

Low and Slow at the start is the best method, a lot of traditional recipes steam it in the first phase!

Chris
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!