Ribs on the Northern Beaches

All Meats Including BEEF, PORK, LAMB & GAME
O2zi3

Ribs on the Northern Beaches

Post by O2zi3 »

So i have almost given up ever eating ribs again due to price of them these days. I was told by a butcher in forestville that the price is due to the fact we export alot of our own produce and there's issue with importing stuff on the bone due to disease control etc.

My local butcher sells NY style/cut ribs @ $34/kg (price fluctuates a bit). Cant pay that sorry

The aforementioned forestville guy got them for me for $24/kg. they were good but at $100 to feed the family...they are not a regular thing.

Anyway, have since found a place in the old Dee Why shopping parade. Go thru the entrance to the shopping parade on Oaks Ave and the guy is just on the left.

Its a chinese butcher and i think they butcher pork slightly differently for the asian consumer. The ribs here are not NY cut. They have the meat on all the way to the skin. I think they must use the rind for something else. The resulting rack is double the weight and exactly what i have been looking for as the meat to bone ratio is much greater. The best bit they are only $14.50/kg.

Im guessing this may be too fatty for some people...but if you low and slow em the fat rends out and they are hefty ribs. 1 rack was enough for 3 of us.
Mixin

Re: Ribs on the Northern Beaches

Post by Mixin »

Sounds like you've found a rare gem up your way.

I've bought similar from the Asian butchers in Cabramatta for around $16-18/kg (which I consider good value).
It's basically the ribs with the belly (or back) still attached, and is excellent to cook. My favourite cut.
They know how to look after their customers, and if they don't have it, they'll offer to cut it how you like from a fresh carcass out the back.

Most "western" butchers (and the duopoly) seem to want to cut the belly off right back to the point where the rib bones poke through on the curve, then ask $20+ for the "dregs"
Weber Kettle Fanatic....
Main go-to: Blue 57cm OTG
Fire restriction option: Black 57cm M/T butchered with a Weber gas conversion.
GMG DC for the lazy smoky cooks.
Weeknight special: Q200
Problem? What problem?