First successful crackling in Weber q 2200

All Meats Including BEEF, PORK, LAMB & GAME
plumby

First successful crackling in Weber q 2200

Post by plumby »

Ive had my Weber Q for about 8 months and just love it but Ive never been able to get a proper crackling by the end of the cook, until now. I did a few things differently and def made the difference.

Firstly I took the pork out the day before and thawed it, then I scalded the skin with lots of boiling water, then wiped dry with paper towel, into the fridge uncovered for over 24hrs. By that time the skin was dry as a bone, I gave it a spray of olive oil and then applied the salt but this time I actually grinded my salt with the mortar and pestle before hand. The reason I did this is because of the angle of the cut of meat often I apply the salt and it falls off and wont stick well.

By grinding the salt down I applied it all over nice and thick and it stuck perfectly. Full heat for 30 min then reduced and pulled out few hours later when it hit 71 internal. The thing that struck me was the salt had formed like a crust over the fat but when peeled/scraped off, I had perfect crackling all over. :mrgreen:
Gumb

Re: First successful crackling in Weber q 2200

Post by Gumb »

Well done. Just shows there are many ways to skin a cat. :D
Sjcampbell

Re: First successful crackling in Weber q 2200

Post by Sjcampbell »

Gumb wrote:Well done. Just shows there are many ways to skin a cat. :D
...... Or pig
:D

Cheers
Steve