Wet curing ingredients info required

All Meats Including BEEF, PORK, LAMB & GAME
ziccy64

Post by ziccy64 »

Hello, I wish to cure/brine some pork belly to make some bacon and I am stuck, I have some questions.
- How much salt per litre for a 1-1/2 kg piece of pork belly.
- IMPORTANT I will be using nitrites and have bought some pure 100% Sodium Nitrite online.
The person who I got it from says to use 3 grams per 50 grams of salt. I am concerned that this might be too much.
Any help please?
- Eventually I would like to cold smoke and finish in an oven.
Ciapek

Post by Ciapek »

3 grams cure per 50 grams salt, makes a 6% Pink Salt (cure)which is on the money..
As you are working with pure Nitrites, here is the catch.

You weigh out this ratio as mentioned above, and then you mix it THOROUGHLY to evenly distribute the Nitrite.
Put this in a container that will NOT be confused for normal Salt. This will make people sick! Real Sick.

Now you have to make up your Salt and Sugar mix per litre PLUS a volume of the Pink Salt (cure)that you have made up at 6%.

Salt and Sugar you can mix up in your preferred amounts.
So, to make a Litre of Brine.
---70gr Salt
---30gr Sugar
---1 tsp of The Pink Salt that you have mixed from your Pure Nitrite.
Stir well to dissolve, once ready, place your meat into the cure.
24 hours per cm of meat thickness, if skin present, and thick layers of fat double that time.
Inject solution into the meat at around 25% volume to assist the solution penetrating into the meat.

If, you are unsure or hesitant, don't do it, instead, buy a pre made brine mix that has all the ingredients balanced out and usually comes with a good set of instructions.
The pure Nitrate won't go to waste, I'll show you how to make old school gun powder.

Naturally, all information is provided on a suggested basis, I accept no responsibility, as elements are out of my control......

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
ziccy64

Re: Wet curing ingredients info required

Post by ziccy64 »

Thank you very much for your reply, answers my questions.

p.s Don't worry about the gunpowder.
gindemon

Post by gindemon »

This Ciapek guy is the guy you should be listening to. Since it is obvious he knows what he's talking about.
"The Meat Sweats" Competitive BBQ Team
Port Macquarie 2014 - 1st
Bangalow 2014 - 1st
2014 Jack Daniels World Championship BBQ - 19th/94 overall, 1st/20 international teams
Melbourne 2015 - 3rd
Port Macquarie 2015 - 1st
chriso

Post by chriso »

So, take something that will make you real sick and soak your pork in it? Sounds appealing!
ziccy64

Post by ziccy64 »

So I've decided not to use the pure nitrite and instead will use the Pink salt.( its at 6.25 percent)
thanks
GarthFader

Re:

Post by GarthFader »

chriso wrote:So, take something that will make you real sick and soak your pork in it? Sounds appealing!
It's only an issue if consumed in high amounts... When you know this and use it appropriately it's an invaluable addition to your collection of herbs, spices etc.
Bentley

Post by Bentley »

Yes!
Burnt By The Best
Competition BBQ Team

Fresno State University
Go Dogs!

wedwards

Post by wedwards »

I just did this tonight using a recipe I found online. Used half teaspoon of nitrite to quarter cup of salt, plus some seasonings like garlic powder, black pepper, sugar etc. I did it as a dry rub and put in snap lock bags which I will turn every day for 6 days then soak in water for an hour then dry for 3 hours in fridge then smoke either cold for 4-5 hours or hot until it gets to 150F. Will know in a week if it's any good.
wedwards

Post by wedwards »

chriso wrote:So, take something that will make you real sick and soak your pork in it? Sounds appealing!
If you're happy to eat store bought bacon or even things like corned beef, you won't have a problem with this, as it's generally the same process.
J.R.

Post by J.R. »

Sorry for dig this up but I would like to try the same next week.....
Is he still alive or did he just disapear from the forum ???

Cheers
titch

Post by titch »

Do you want to wet cure or Dry cure, dry is easier in my Opinion, does a better job as well.
What are you going to cure?
Are you going to use preservative ?
Do you have everything you need?
Cheers
Titch
J.R.

Post by J.R. »

Sorry to highjack this thread but I still need answers

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=16822

so my undersdtanding is : if I will make 1 litre of brine and have a 6.25 % cure #1 I use 3 grams of cure and 50 gram salt (3 /50 = 0.06 = 6 % ready to go brine (soak it or inject it) )I'm not a math genius but is that the formula to work out the percentage of saltiness or is it just accidentally :?

Cheers J.R.
titch

Post by titch »

J.R. wrote:Sorry to highjack this thread but I still need answers

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=16822

so my undersdtanding is : if I will make 1 litre of brine and have a 6.25 % cure #1 I use 3 grams of cure and 50 gram salt (3 /50 = 0.06 = 6 % ready to go brine (soak it or inject it) )I'm not a math genius but is that the formula to work out the percentage of saltiness or is it just accidentally :?

Cheers J.R.
I don't wet cure anymore and have not for years.because I always struggled so I cant help you.
BTW
My maths sucks
Cheers
Titch
chaosdog

Post by chaosdog »

J.R. wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2016 4:02 pm Sorry to highjack this thread but I still need answers

http://aussiebbq.info/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=16822

Cheers J.R.
If you are asking what I think you are, then no.

That formula just is to make a 6% Cure # 1, not a recipe for brine. Brine for short cure (e.g. Bacon or ham) will have regular salt, sugar, Cure #1, water and selected spices. A recipe is given near the top of the post to make a litre of brine suitable for bacon which looks fine to me, although I weigh everything not use volumes like teaspoons or cups etc. If you need more than a litre, you just multiply.

You already have Cure #1 (at the standard commercial rate of 6.25%, just add the ingredients in the quantities specified.