3 2 1 question.

All Meats Including BEEF, PORK, LAMB & GAME
Bear

Post by Bear »

It shouldn't need butter, pork ribs have enough fat. Go with the apple juice if you want moisture
Charcoal: 22.5" Weber OTP 2000 | Wood Oven: Al Forno Piemonte R8 | Portable: Weber GA 2006
Gasser: NG WeberQ 320 | Rotisserie: Gaganis custom dual spit | Smoker: 18.5" WSM 2004
Perth Smoker

Re: 3 2 1 question.

Post by Perth Smoker »

Bentley wrote:Hard to advise you on the rub without knowing your preferences...I don't like to rub prior or more then about 2 hours because I feel it makes the outer part of the rib a bit tough, or maybe a better word is tough. Some love it. If you are gonna use the TX Crutch, you might want to add a little liquid, and some more rub, margarine, honey, brown sugar, tiger sauce...these are just all thing folks add because they like that flavor profile, and it can be drained at the end and used as a glaze in the end of cook. Again, hard to advise...
Thanks for the advice.

I think I'll do one rack with rub, crutch with apple juice and marg and leave the other plain and no crutch. Probably the only way I'll decide what's best for me.

Thanks again.
Bentley

Post by Bentley »

I hope you will post your results!
Burnt By The Best
Competition BBQ Team

Fresno State University
Go Dogs!

Perth Smoker

Post by Perth Smoker »

Bentley wrote:I hope you will post your results!
I would, but the board attachment quota has been met. It won't allow me to upload my photos.
Gumb

Post by Gumb »

See the instructions on loading pics in the Welcome section. You paste links from a site like photo bucket rather than uploading direct.
Perth Smoker

Post by Perth Smoker »

Ok, here goes...

On the Money rub went on about 90mins before going on the Weber.

Went the snake method with hickory chunk and a water pan with honey and apple cider vinegar which was fantastic. Really was just set and forget.

On they went.

Who said smoking was bad for you?... 8)

So I had them on for around 3 hours at 215-220F, spritzing every hour with apple juice, wrapped half of them in foil with more rub, brown sugar, marg and apple juice. Let them go for about 90mins, then checked with a toothpick. Unwrapped and coated with sauce and gave them another 60-70mins.

The end result. This actually isn't even the best one, but I couldn't stop eating them I forgot to get a photo of them. Haha

The unwrapped, uncoated ribs were ok, but would have to adjust cooking times. They were a bit dry.

Overall I'm happy how they turned out, but not satisfied with the result. Practice makes perfect, I guess.

Oh, and for a store bought BBQ sauce, this one kinda rocks. Will use again. Until I start to make my own.
Bentley

Post by Bentley »

Alright...chalk another one up for the Texas Crutch... 8)
Burnt By The Best
Competition BBQ Team

Fresno State University
Go Dogs!