3 2 1 question.

All Meats Including BEEF, PORK, LAMB & GAME
Commander Cody

Re: 3 2 1 question.

Post by Commander Cody »

Thanks fellas,

for your advice.....ribs will be 3.2.1.ed next weekend.

those 5 racks were just too much for the real estate in the mighty T machine. and i looked at GORDY, and i looked at the WSM........

..............way too late, i realized i had no bloody charcoal again, and, because i did-not need wood for a fire place, i forgot to get some for GORDY.
can you believe it..............i mean ........

so any_how i used the mighty T machine, with the help of the TRAEGER rib racks, as it was i had to trim them suckers back so they would not turn into pork jerky on the ends.

so basically they were just boring ol' dry ribs..........bullshhhhhhh they were superb...............sprayed with apple juice hourly.

and the sauce on the side.............one of them was just good quality BBQ sauce ( home made of cause ) with honey in it.

the other had some of my ghost chili sauce with i tiny bit ( not tiny enough but ) of the scorpion butch T.........bloody hell Mick.......you did not stress the scary heat enough...... :shock: :shock:

had to go and pick a couple of cucumbers and i flogged the girls sour cream, then downed 2 James real quick. damn that was a fun learning curve. cannot wait 'till
next summer when i have the reapers and the black scorpion tongues ready to go.

tender as, and soo tasty.

so next weekend i will have a crack at doin' some Johnny Triggs.

sorry people, but...................i have photos of this effort if ya'll wanna see them.

kevin
....up in smoke.....that's where my money goes.....
Bentley

Post by Bentley »

Big Tease...
Burnt By The Best
Competition BBQ Team

Fresno State University
Go Dogs!

urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

You know the rules Kev....No Pics....Didn't happen! :roll:

Chris
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!
Commander Cody

Post by Commander Cody »

OK as demanded....... :D :D :D

some photos.

hope you like.

enjoy.

on looking at the ribs on the grill........you know.....i could and should have just dun it, i felt a little uncomfortable with having to over lap them.

so i will do 2 or 3 in the WSM next weekend. i prefer this toy to the others when i do ribs. ( small quantities anyway.

kevin
Bentley

Post by Bentley »

Not sure how the crutch would do in a rib rack...personally I would not think well!
Burnt By The Best
Competition BBQ Team

Fresno State University
Go Dogs!

Commander Cody

Post by Commander Cody »

Bentley,

the rib racks were used because i bailed on the Johnnies, due to real estate issues.

although, i could use them on the 1st and last stage of the crutch.

and just lay them flat when foiled.

kevin
Grillnoob

Post by Grillnoob »

Ribs look very tasty
O2zi3

Post by O2zi3 »

Bentley wrote:Bone down (the side the membrane is on) once in Crutch...I agree that 2 hours is to much, so my suggestions would be to gingerly open foil at 90 minutes and see what you think. I will add a caveat that I cook my Spares at 275°F for those 3 hours so they render the fat better ergo they are further along in the cooking process then a lower pit temperature!

I guess you are going Parkay, Tiger sauce, brown sugar, honey...all that rubbish...it all gets in there believe me, and it can be poured off, fat separated and made into a Masterful basting sauce to finish the ribs off in the smoke for the last hour!

Good luck Buddy! I just love the Crutch!
I have been wrapping them meat side down (which is what i think i read) with a splash of apple juice. My view is that the meat wants to be in the juice...the sugar in the juice will caramelize on the flesh (not the bone). Also, the acidity in the juice helps the cooking prowess.

Anyway as a general agreement it appears, i think 3-2-1 is too long if u cant keep (or dont like to keep) the grate temp around 225f. I just did ribs last night. Grate trickled up to 250f during cook (i havent cracked the magic settings yet on my komado because im amazed at how little air its getting). Came out mushier than i would like (first world problem). NO one complained and it was the only 20mins of silence from the kids since they got home from school.
Bentley

Post by Bentley »

The main reason I don't go meat side down once in the Crutch!

O2zi3 wrote:I have been wrapping them meat side down (which is what i think i read) with a splash of apple juice. My view is that the meat wants to be in the juice...the sugar in the juice will caramelize on the flesh (not the bone).

Came out mushier than i would like (first world problem).
Burnt By The Best
Competition BBQ Team

Fresno State University
Go Dogs!

DAK

Post by DAK »

Depending on the thickness of the ribs I usually smoke at 200f for 2.5 hours after applying a brown sugar based run.

I foil for about 90 - 120 at 225f with Butter, honey, brown sugar, fountain chilli sauce until a tooth pick is facing slight resisitance (not all the way to butter glide)

I then baste for an hour at 200f again.

The cooking times and temp changes from the usual consistent 3-2-1 at 225f is used when I don't have thick meaty ribs. If you've got thick meaty ribs then 3-2-1 at 225f is ok. Even then though I like to do the first smoke at 200f.

Good luck!
Commander Cody

Post by Commander Cody »

i did the 3-2-1

and totally stuffed them up. the 3-2 part was good. the 1 part was not.

i meat sided them down and they dried out real bad, even though i spritz them on the 1/4 hour.

i think i will just stay with the "tbritu' ( the best ribs in the universe ) method, which you will find here... http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/

seems to work best for me.

kevin
Davo
Forum Administrator

Post by Davo »

Yeah you might find it easier here http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/best- ... field.html

What I've done mostly is my own little version of this even though I've not really ever seen this version before...but I do question one little thing about the WSMs

He says to make sure all charcoal and wood is pretty much all greyed...ok...I agree with that.....and the wood needs to be pretty much well on the way to be spent....not sure why but......but he says when you put the WSM together, you close the vents fully at the bottom for about 3 hours?
Yikes :shock: ....I've never been game to close them up for that long, I've usually got them open at around 25% and the top fully open and I usually put hot water in my pan but he says cold...I just find that takes up so much heat energy....hot water out of a tap is usually about 60-70C so it's not too much to go for it to hit 100 and beyond ....I usually have bottom vents closed fully till the temp needle stops then I open to 25% all round....rarely goes beyond 250F for me.....pending ambient outside temps I guess.

Also, many American rub mixes have a fair bit of hot chilli and pepper in them such as chilli powders or flakes and cayenne pepper, these you have to be mindful of when inviting guests because everyone's chilli tolerances are different....I know when I first began using American type rubs, I'd use the cayenne and such and when people take a nibble a the ribs.....you see the eyes open wide as they've just been hit with the burn....I don't really use cayenne anymore :roll:

On this webpage theres 2 videos of Mike Scrutchfield at the bottom being interviewed and they are very interesting, especially the bit where he told how he prepared for his very first competition.....you gotta watch it.

cheers

Davo
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5
Bentley

Post by Bentley »

Never did get the 1 part, cook them, put them in the smoke for 20-30 minutes if you sauce them and that is it!
Burnt By The Best
Competition BBQ Team

Fresno State University
Go Dogs!

Perth Smoker

Post by Perth Smoker »

Righto guys,

Gonna do some pork ribs on the weber tomorrow. I have my On the Money rub ready to go.

My question, when should I apply the rub? Tonight? Or an hour or so before cooking?

Also, can I wrap them with nothing inside or will it be better with some butter and apple juice?

Cheers guys, sorry for the rookie questions.
Bentley

Post by Bentley »

Hard to advise you on the rub without knowing your preferences...I don't like to rub prior or more then about 2 hours because I feel it makes the outer part of the rib a bit chewy, or maybe a better word is tough. Some love it. If you are gonna use the TX Crutch, you might want to add a little liquid, and some more rub, margarine, honey, brown sugar, tiger sauce...these are just all thing folks add because they like that flavor profile, and it can be drained at the end and used as a glaze in the end of cook. Again, hard to advise...
Last edited by Bentley on Sun Aug 16, 2015 3:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Burnt By The Best
Competition BBQ Team

Fresno State University
Go Dogs!