Pulled Pork for beginners, by a beginner.

All Meats Including BEEF, PORK, LAMB & GAME
Gumb

Re: Pulled Pork for beginners, by a beginner.

Post by Gumb »

Sounds good. 71 is spot on stall temp and it might even drop back slightly. Patience is a virtue. :D
Grillnoob

Post by Grillnoob »

Yeah don't really want to wrap it cause I am keen to see how good a bark I can get on it
Its a big hunk of meat but pit temp is spot on and I have another 6 hours up my sleeve so not worried.
thermoman.1

Post by thermoman.1 »

I tried following your instructions today as this was my first pulled pork. All did not go according to plan, although the meat in the middle was beautiful. The outsides were somewhat dry and tough. All of my measurements are F because I can't get my 733 to change to C. Started at 7:10am and all seemed to be going smoothly. Temp was between 230-250, mostly 240. By 11:30 the internal temp was 156F and stayed roughly there. It had reached 163F by 3pm. After 3:30 I upped the temp to 250-260 but by 5pm the internal was only 178F. I then foiled and wrapped the meat as I didn't see much chance of it reaching 194F (90C). I am cooking on a Primo Kamado (round). I want to cook a bigger piece for mothers day. My questions are
a. Did the outside cook too quickly and prevent the inside from reaching the desired temp?
b. If so, how much do I need to lower the cooking temp by
c. If not, what did I do wrong?
d. Should I brine the meat?
e. Anything else you can think of.
Thanks,
Bob
Gumb

Post by Gumb »

Hi bob. You didn't cook it long enough for the collagens in the meat to break down. You have to be patient and wait it out. Don't take it out until a probe can go in without any resistance and that should be at around 190-195f in the middle. It will stall for a while during the cook and that's when you think it won't happen....but it will! I've had stalls for a number of hours and even a slight drop in internal temp but you have to wait and be patient. 240f on the pit is ok although I usually aim for slightly less but in general around 250f will work. It's time at temperature which allows the meat to break down and turn juicy. Get a spray bottle and spay with water or apple juice every hour is so after it gets to 150f internal. If you are pressed for time you can foil at around 150f internal but keep cooking and wait until it hits the internal target of 190-195. The foil will just speed it up.

Whether you foil along the way or not, once it gets to temp (190-195f) and is literally starting to fall apart, it's time to rest it. Wrap it in a double layer of foil with about a cup of liquid (apple juice is good) then place it in an esky, add old towels to fill the extra space and leave it for at least an hour. It can stay that way for a long time, 3-4 hours no problem. When you unwrap it, be prepared for a feast !

And most importantly, it has to be the right cut of pork. Use only neck (scotch) or shoulder (bone in or out is fine). I'm not sure from your post what you used.

A decent size neck or shoulder can take well over 12-14 hours to do if you do it without foiling at 150 along the way and that doesn't include resting time. So start early and don't try to time your cook exactly to the time you want to serve. If lunch is at 1pm, you need to start the night before around 9 and not worry if it's finished early....remember it can sit in that esky until you are ready to eat. You can even cook it the day before and reheat it.

As for brining, it will work fine without it.
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

+1 that :!:

Brining will add moisture, it's not necessary but, more moisture, so why not!

Like Gumb says, the cut of meat is important...what cut did you use?

As you've found out increasing the BBQ temperature does little to shorted the cooking time, steam will help, so a water bowl or wrap it in foil when it is in the stall. But like Gumb said, it's a waiting game...you just have to sit it out. Plan to finish hours before you want to serve!

Cheers
Chris
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!
thermoman.1

Post by thermoman.1 »

Thanks for the replies. I used shoulder with bone out. I will certainly plan for a longer cook next time. Was a bit worried about running out of fuel but eventually had more than half of what I had put in left over so no worries there. Thanks again,
Bob
Gumb

Post by Gumb »

Good that you had the right cut Bob. Don't worry about running out of fuel though. With a kamado, load it up all the way. It will only burn what it needs and you use the rest next time around. They work on airflow and not amount of fuel to maintain temperature.
aussieant32

Post by aussieant32 »

I would be going further than 195f. I run all of mine to 203f.

Work on 225f at 2 hours per pound. (use a conversion calc).

You will not go too far wrong
Coolabah Gas Smoker, Weber One Touch, Dragon Kamado
StoneX

Post by StoneX »

aussieant32 wrote:I would be going further than 195f. I run all of mine to 203f.

Work on 225f at 2 hours per pound. (use a conversion calc).

You will not go too far wrong
I only do it to 190-195F and it pulls perfectly... My cooks to 200F+ seemed dry with scotch/collar. I haven't taken a shoulder that high though, maybe it would be more forgiving.
aussieant32

Post by aussieant32 »

I find at anything below 200 there is still meat clinging to the bone.

For me if my bone doesn't come out with a gentle tug and not a speck of meat on it, it wasn't ready. I don't like to cook pulled pork without the bone so don't use neck.

Best part of bbq, its imperfect. What works for me might not work for you and visa-versa :)
Coolabah Gas Smoker, Weber One Touch, Dragon Kamado
Gumb

Post by Gumb »

Whether it's 195 or 200, that's a guide. It's ready when you feel no resistance to the probe. Although I've never had to take it to 200 to be able to slide the bone out. Maybe it depends on the quality of the cut, what temp you cook at and what you cook it in.
thermoman.1

Post by thermoman.1 »

Mothers Day was a hit, cooked perfectly. Although my first attempt tasted good I can see why the meat should be left to reach the right temperature. One son in law has asked for the recipe. Thank you all!
Gumb

Post by Gumb »

Excellent, I'm glad it went well and you could show off your low and slow skill. :)
beginner

Post by beginner »

Been an age since I've done pulled pork, but this weekend we have an awesome weather forecast and a new public holiday. Seems to me the best way to celebrate would be setting my chair up next to the WSM in the sun and have the girls pour me beers all day. I'll go back through this thread to refresh on temps / times, but I'm actually intending to serve the following day for the footy, I usually use the esky method to rest but overnight seems too long. If I chuck it straight in the fridge will the low temperature be too much of a shock for it?
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

beginner wrote:Been an age since I've done pulled pork, but this weekend we have an awesome weather forecast and a new public holiday. Seems to me the best way to celebrate would be setting my chair up next to the WSM in the sun and have the girls pour me beers all day. I'll go back through this thread to refresh on temps / times, but I'm actually intending to serve the following day for the footy, I usually use the esky method to rest but overnight seems too long. If I chuck it straight in the fridge will the low temperature be too much of a shock for it?
Use the esky, the slow rest to cold will be good for it. start earlier so you are still up when it's fridge time!
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!