Low and Slow Pulled Pork on the Weber Q !

All Meats Including BEEF, PORK, LAMB & GAME
3Gums

Low and Slow Pulled Pork on the Weber Q !

Post by 3Gums »

I was lucky enough to score one of the prizes in the last Xmas comp, my prize was Mad Hunky Pork Brine, Mad Hunky All Purpose Rub and 2 Meat Rakes, all which got used in this dish!!

So, I did have the time on Saturday and I did have a 2 kg pork shoulder handy. The challenge was set for Low and Slow Pulled Pork on the Weber Q BBQ !

Trawling around the internet does not turn up a whole lot about how to cook low and slow on the Weber Q so here is my recipe and method for Low and Slow Pulled Pork.

It came out delicious, moist and beating the pants of any slow cooker/crock pot pulled pork I have ever done or tried! Give it ago and let me know how it goes. I'm sure it could be adapted to any gas BBQ.

Ingredients
  • 2 kg / 4.4 lbs Pork Shoulder or Boston Butt
    Your favourite Pork Brine – enough to cover the meat
    Your favourite pork rub
    Apple Juice
    Water
    Wood chips or pellets for smoking
Steps
The Night Before –
  • 1. Using a bowl large enough to handle the brine and pork. Mix up your brine and submerge the pork in it, cover with cling film and place in the fridge.

BBQ Day –
  • 2. Remove the pork from the brine **don’t rinse the pork**
    3. Rub the pork all over with your favourite rub mixture. Cover and let it rise to room temperature.
Prepare the BBQ –
  • 4. Add your wood chips or pellets to your smoke box or foil pouch. Place on the BBQ over one of the burners.
    5. Light the BBQ and get it to 107°C / 225°F – I got it there by only using the middle burner on low.

6. Arrange a grill or trivet over the top of a large foil BBQ tray and place in the centre of the BBQ, fill the tray with ½ water and ½ apple juice.
The Cook -
  • 7. Grab your pork and place on the rack/trivet on the BBQ.
    8. Close the lid. You may have to fiddle with the gas to get it up or down to 107°C / 225°F
    9. Check the temp and liquid level every few hours – if it is getting to hot, consider propping the lid open just a little. Top up the liquid in the pan if it is getting low.
    10. Baste every now and again with the liquid from the pan.

11. After 10 hours your pork should be done, make sure the internal temperature of the pork is at least 95°C / 203°F, if it is lower than this then keep on cooking!
    12. Remove the pork from the BBQ, wrap in foil and let it rest for 45 – 60 min. Trust me, this makes it even better!
    13. Remove the skin (if you kept it on) and save for cracking – I placed ours under the grill for a few minutes and it turned out wonderful!
    14. Pull apart the pork with forks or meat rakes!

15. Serve however you wish with what ever sauce you like.

Enjoy!
Smokey

Re: Low and Slow Pulled Pork on the Weber Q !

Post by Smokey »

That looks great. Good job on getting the Q working outside Its design 8)
Just a tip on brining, The meat needs to be totally submerged. If you have a floater, stick a plate or something on top to weigh it down.
If trees screamed when we cut them down, We wouldn't. If they screamed all the time we would.
http://www.aussiecue.com.au
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

Damn good work! Proof the Q will go low enough!

Lots of caravaners and nomads are thanking you right now!

The Beachbums will be getting hungry!

Cheers
Chris
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!
titch

Post by titch »

urbangriller wrote:Damn good work! Proof the Q will go low enough!

Lots of caravaners and nomads are thanking you right now!

The Beachbums will be getting hungry!

Cheers
Chris
If they survived the storms :wink:
Cheers
Titch