Vinegar based marinade has "cooked" my pork shuolder?

All Meats Including BEEF, PORK, LAMB & GAME
CrackFreak

Vinegar based marinade has "cooked" my pork shuolder?

Post by CrackFreak »

Hi folks

So the other day i saw a rolled pork shoulder on special at woolies and decided it'd pick one up to do a slow and low over the weekend. After looking at a few quick recipes off Google i decided to go with an overnight marinade that was apple cider vinegar based.

The marinade was started on Thursday evening with the intention to take it out the next and and hit with a dry rub and allow another overnight in the fridge. Unfortunately because i'm between houses at the moment i didn't get back to it until today (Saturday) and noticed after I pulled it out of the fridge there seems to be some coloration on the meat (white) looking like the meat is starting to cook from the vinegar.

I'm just wondering have i left this to long or should i not be marinating with a vinegar base to start with?
Jars

Re: Vinegar based marinade has "cooked" my pork shuolder?

Post by Jars »

I've had this kind of thing happen with chicken before, but not pork. With the chicken, i just cooked it and it turned out fine. Maybe see what others have to say. Probably still be okay, but the flavours may be a bit overpowering from sitting so long?
Yoder YS480 || Weber OTS Premium || Weber Go Anywhere || Weber Jumbo Joe || Keg Spit || 'Golden Moth' UDS
Smokey

Post by Smokey »

Salt and sugar sunshine, :wink: Plus aromatics of your liking.
Save the vinegar for the finishing sauce = two levels of flavour.

1) The meat flavour speaking out
2) A complentery tang with heat and spice drizzled over that one can control wilst eating.

So Dont add acid to marinade for anything but a short sitting. Just not needed.
And as you experianced, Cooks the food in the fridge.
I dont even bother injecting pork butt with Apple juice/ cider anymore.
Much better off with a stock based injection and as above, Add the tart in a sauce 8)
If trees screamed when we cut them down, We wouldn't. If they screamed all the time we would.
http://www.aussiecue.com.au
CrackFreak

Post by CrackFreak »

Thanks for the advice guys. i dried it off, rubbed down and it's now sitting in the fridge getting ready for the cook tomorrow.
Bentley

Post by Bentley »

The acid will do a chemical "cook" of it, wont hurt it. Much like the Citric Acid when Ceviche is "cooked" in citrus juices...
Burnt By The Best
Competition BBQ Team

Fresno State University
Go Dogs!

urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

Dead right, keep Acids out of marinades as much as you can, the protein bonds "tighten" in an acidic marinade, water is squeezed out, and the tissue becomes tough.

Cheers
Chris
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!