https://youtu.be/1Ig_mLUPSj8?si=Y78nlK-XrVFJDH5v

I’ve never cooked on electric but find this interesting
Regards Dave
Davo
Forum Administrator

Re: Gas v charcoal v electric

Post by Davo »

G'day Cobbler Dave,

Yeah another one from the same place but this time doing wings and once again, the electric Pulse has almost equalled the Weber Kettle with Lump Charcoal in it.
https://youtu.be/v67qowE8cek?si=Dtpbi35gw1w7OOzg

I've never cooked on the Pulse, there's 2 models though, the 1000 with single element and the 2000 with the twin element, you can take the entire power module from the BBQ after cooking.

Now these of course are aimed at those who live in apartments with small balconies and which most will have no live fire rules in their Strata By-laws, but pending on unit type and age, most will allow Gas or Electric grills and so it's why the Weber Q in particular the Baby Q or the Q2200 are most popular and now those who cook electric have more choice when it comes to a grill. Before grilling with electric was from either inside on the stove or one of those teppan electric plates or the George Forman type grills which I have but has now only been used to make toasted club sangers.

A friend of mine in Sydney recently bought a small apartment in a complex with other friends on the Central coast near Lake Macquarie and he bought a Weber Pulse 2000 and he loves it. He's got Charcoal and Gas at home but often has a big cook up on the balcony with the Pulse and he reckons it's one of his all time favourite BBQs. He does a lot of BBQs at home in Penrith as he belongs to a local Soccer club there so they entertain a lot. I'll take his word for it until I try one myself.

Cheers

Davo
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5
12x7

Post by 12x7 »

Thanks for sharing the videos. Very informative.

It looks like how the bbq is designed. eg. bug type, cast iron grill is very important.

Cooking the same food, temp you can make great food no matter the heat source.

In suburbs where they're trying to ban gas it's great to see the electric perform so well for the apartment dwellers.

Some people aren't very comfortable using gas or solid fuel so finally they have a good outdoor bbq solution
Davo
Forum Administrator

Post by Davo »

I remember many years ago when my wife went back to Japan to see family, I couldn't go because I had to work, so one day I went to Harvey Norman or Good Guys, can't remember which and bought myself a George Foreman Grill which is one of those that look like a sandwich press with grill bars......it had a little tray in front that you can catch the grease and wow did that thing extract the juice from chops, steaks and snags, I put the drippings into a 500ml glass jar and I kept it till the Mrs came home 3 weeks later......I was amazed how much fat that was in that jar and not running around in my blood stream.
It was mid winter if I remember and so I didn't want to go outside to BBQ.
That jar was chockers by the time my Mrs got home......I haven't cooked meat on it for years, it still works well but i just make toasted club sangas on it now......but they do a great job.

Davo
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5