Q Ham (Pickled Pork)

All Meats Including BEEF, PORK, LAMB & GAME
beej

Re: Q Ham (Pickled Pork)

Post by beej »

I'm thinking of trying this on Xmas day.

I've only had the Q320 for a week and 1st attempt (butterly lamb leg using tips from this site) worked well, except a little over-cooked I think due to slow analogue thermometer (took too long to show 65deg, so thought it needed longer). The squeeze of lemon on turning was excellent advice.

Anyway, I have a few quick Q's re this Q Ham:
- I should be asking my butcher for a pickled piece of pork neck yeah?
- From the photos it looks like you guys string it up? If so, how?
- Recipe says roast for 'about an hour' on medium high - is this just the outer ring only?
- Assuming I can find a more accurate or faster thermometer, should I be monitoring the temp during this stage, or just wait till after the basting starts?
- holes/slits in the doubled-over foil?

Less important:
- can you cook 2 meats at the same time? or will the flavours mix and leave you with two munted bits of meat? Was thinking of roasting a portugese chook in there too, but it can go in the oven if not.

Ummm ... that's about it I think. I'm looking forward to many years of amazing cooking on this rig. I've already been asked "Do you want cookbooks for Xmas?" to which I answer "Trust me, I have access to a lifetime of recipes in just one online source"

Regards,

beej.
Tasmaniac65

Post by Tasmaniac65 »

The only Pork Neck I can find locally is not pickled do you think this will still cook alright on a Q with the honey glaze... :?: , Cheers
Captain Cook

Post by Captain Cook »

Tasmaniac65 wrote:The only Pork Neck I can find locally is not pickled do you think this will still cook alright on a Q with the honey glaze... :?: , Cheers
No. It needs to be pickled to make ham. Woolies should have it with the corned silverside.

Otherwise ask your local butcher to pickle some for you.

Cheers

Captain
Tasmaniac65

Post by Tasmaniac65 »

what will ordinary Pork Neck cook up like?
Captain Cook

Post by Captain Cook »

Tasmaniac65 wrote:what will ordinary Pork Neck cook up like?
Pork neck also known as Boston butt, cooked low and slow with a little dry rub and some smoke will make melt in your mouth pulled pork. Or sliced thick will make a fantastic meat to serve as part as a BBQ meal. Serve a tangy sauce or a good Asian char Sui sauce with it.

Cheers

Captain
Tasmaniac65

Post by Tasmaniac65 »

I have a good source for nice Pork Necks can I pickle my own???

and if so instructions would be great :D
titch

Post by titch »

Yes you can.
Instructions are here in the Pork section.
happy reading
Look under ham etc.
Cheers.
Titch
Cheers
Titch
Tasmaniac65

Post by Tasmaniac65 »

Have read lots and learnt some more but still have not found any details on how to Pickle Pork could someone please point me in the right direction :oops:
Smokey

Post by Smokey »

:)
Last edited by Smokey on Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If trees screamed when we cut them down, We wouldn't. If they screamed all the time we would.
http://www.aussiecue.com.au
Tasmaniac65

Post by Tasmaniac65 »

Hey thanks for that mate, I will set about getting stuffffffffffffffff and report back :D
Captain Cook

Post by Captain Cook »

Just as easy to get a pickled bit of pork from the butcher, even a pickled leg will do to start off with.

Try that before you start shelling out for stufffff.

Captain
Tasmaniac65

Post by Tasmaniac65 »

my apologies I was simply getting frustrated in my attempts to find some appropriate pork I will try a few other butchers, cheers
olde

Post by olde »

I made one of these y\day from a pickled boneless shoulder. I've gotta start doing the shopping myself again, because although it was on special for $4.99 the missus managed to pay 8\kg. Cooked it to 68, which I'm guessing was a little low for a boneless shoulder roll as it's a bit tough. I've got a bunch of it in the pot on the fire at the mo, with some garlic and yellow\green\barley peas, and the joint smells fantastic. Looking fwd to dinner tonight.
Tasmaniac65

Post by Tasmaniac65 »

Had a go finally at the Q Ham and very happy with the result sweet and moist yumm :D did mine with honey, tied it up to get a better shape and turned it about 5 times through the cook.
IMG_0995.JPG
IMG_0995.JPG (44.11 KiB) Viewed 5817 times
Will the Honey Glaze slow the cooking process once applied? the temp was rising nicely on the hour in the late 50's then I started slathering on the Glaze and it took another hour to reach 75
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

Tasmaniac65 wrote: Will the Honey Glaze slow the cooking process once applied? the temp was rising nicely on the hour in the late 50's then I started slathering on the Glaze and it took another hour to reach 75
Yes, but only coz you keep opening the lid to put it on...and the Q loses heat.

Chris
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!