Greek Gyros

All Meats Including BEEF, PORK, LAMB & GAME
gnol

Re: Greek Gyros

Post by gnol »

beermee wrote:looks great gnol, top work! keep the pics coming....

you make your own pittes? or gerrys pittes?
Gerrys today beerme.

Here is one I cooked my my scabby looking souvlaki. By the time I made this I had had more than enough meat and wanted to "taste" something else.

Just kept slicing layers off. It can look like it overcooks but if you watch it carefully and baste it well the meat can stay pink.

I love it like this but also like the crispy bits that are slightly burnt on the outside.

In this picture you can see where I've just basted it. Good flareups happen when basting. I took it of not long after this as it was done.

Of the fire.

Slide the rest of the meat off.

Use some more basting juice in the last of it. This freezes well and is great to have around for a quick wrap or souvlaki.

DaveW

Greek Gyros

Post by DaveW »

That all just looks so bloody good, even after pigging out all day I'm salivating!

You've given me some ideas to try and adapt the basic ingredients to a low and slow boned shoulder in Red Mist.
DaveW

Proud owner of 'Red Mist' Royal Kamado, 'The Green Imp' Sakura Imperial Kamado 'circa 1970 and a Weber GA that, well....... goes anywhere! :D

Never get so busy making a living that you forget to make a life!
dales133

Greek Gyros

Post by dales133 »

DaveW wrote:That all just looks so bloody good, even after pigging out all day I'm salivating!
X2 that looks awsum mate
skuzy

Post by skuzy »

OMGGGG :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

iam going follow these instructions and make this ASAP !!!
gnol

Post by gnol »

skuzy wrote:OMGGGG :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

iam going follow these instructions and make this ASAP !!!
Just to let you know that 200 grams of salt is a bit too much. I would start with 100gm for 5kg of meat. You can also add some externally later if required.
I have never really measured it before and go by sight and feel.
Meat and eat

Post by Meat and eat »

Gnol,
Thanks for this great post.
It sure looks good and I'll be trying this one too for sure.

Cheers

Meat and eat
"My mind is made up. Please don't confuse me with facts."
quacker

Greek Gyros

Post by quacker »

This recipe is amazing, thanks Gnol,

I took the basics from your recipe and used it on some thick lamb chump chops. Left them to marinade and stuck them on the rottiserie. This is only the second time I have used the weber rotisserie, I received the weber just before Xmas as my anniversary gift and then the roti kit for Xmas.

I used this recipe http://www.kalynskitchen.com/2007/07/wo ... k.html?m=1
to make tzatziki.

Here is a pic

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Smokey

Post by Smokey »

That was fantastic work Gnol, Greek food is one of my faves.
A few questions.
1) So the family sits around having fun while the meat is slowly brought out feeding a few at a time and therefore not the traditional all sit down and eat?
In other words, all at the table grazes over several hours chatting drinking and laughing ?
2) I could not see any forks on the spit bar and I would imagine forks would get in the way when slicing.
How did you clamp all that lamb together?

Thanks for a fantastic post
Im so going to do it on my little braman mini spit
If trees screamed when we cut them down, We wouldn't. If they screamed all the time we would.
http://www.aussiecue.com.au
gnol

Post by gnol »

Smokey Mick wrote:That was fantastic work Gnol, Greek food is one of my faves.
A few questions.
1) So the family sits around having fun while the meat is slowly brought out feeding a few at a time and therefore not the traditional all sit down and eat?
In other words, all at the table grazes over several hours chatting drinking and laughing ?
2) I could not see any forks on the spit bar and I would imagine forks would get in the way when slicing.
How did you clamp all that lamb together?

Thanks for a fantastic post
Im so going to do it on my little braman mini spit

Hi SM. The beauty of this dish is that depending on how you thread it it can either be an all day grazing dish or you could slice enough to feed everyone depending of course on how much meat there is compared to people.
If you look in an earlier post I made I sliced some of the lamb steaks into 4 pieces, some were cut in half so I could more or less get a uniform size. It doesn't have to be perfect.
You could not cut the steaks and make the spit meat fatter and use 20kg of meat as long as you had the right spit and it would feed a lot. Even 5kg for us was too much this year.

Usually when I do this on Christmas day and we have a few people over a lot is ready with the turkey. But not all of it. So it keeps cooking till it is finished.
This year was a quiet Christmas for us and very informal so we just sliced and grazed till we were overfull. :D

There are forks on the spit bar, one on each end. I put one fork on and thread the meat down then put the other one on.
When it is time to slice some you just stop the spit, slice and restart and move onto the next section. This pic is when I cooked one last July.

You can use any meat you like and any marinade you like.
I like how quacker used chump chops in the post above to make one.
Smokey

Post by Smokey »

Thank you, Im going to do this next Sat when some family visit.
If trees screamed when we cut them down, We wouldn't. If they screamed all the time we would.
http://www.aussiecue.com.au
skuzy

Post by skuzy »

SM - go for the all day grazing method.....!

gnol.. what exactly is the cut of lamb you are using? or do you end up filleting cuts of skirt/flanks yourself off a boneless lamb shoulder?
Al_

Post by Al_ »

what is the idea behind threading lots of slices of meat onto the spit rather than using one full piece of meat?
gnol

Post by gnol »

Skuzy. it is boned lamb shoulder.
Meat and eat

Post by Meat and eat »

Al_ wrote:what is the idea behind threading lots of slices of meat onto the spit rather than using one full piece of meat?
I don't know for sure but I always thought it might be so that when you cut slices off you end up with small yiros size bits that fit in the wrap, rather than full size slices.

Cheers

Meat and eat
"My mind is made up. Please don't confuse me with facts."
dales133

Greek Gyros

Post by dales133 »

It would also be cutting it across the grain?